• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to improve Remington 700 Accuracy

bjohnson87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Greenville SC
Hey guys im at the point where i would like to start with some custom work on the gun its a SPS tactical 223 20in bbl what could i do to make it shoot anymore accurate ive heard lapping the lugs etc Help please im thinking about having it sent to Kampfeld Customs or maybe names of any other good smiths would be helpful its my first custom bolt gun

Re: How to improve Remington 700 Accuracy

I'd do the following and in this order;

1. Change the trigger to a Jewell, Shilen or Rifle Basix
2. Change the OEM Stock to a McMillan Fiberglass Stock
3. Pillar Bed the Rifle into the stock
4. Have the barrel Crown touched up
5. Install Night Force 20 MOA one piece scope base and rings

Thanks Roscoe i ordered a Bell and Carlson Medalist A2 is that a pretty good stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjohnson87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Roscoe i ordered a Bell and Carlson Medalist A2 is that a pretty good stock </div></div>

McMillan or bust

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd do the following and in this order;

5. Install Night Force 20 MOA one piece scope base and rings </div></div>

What he said except (personal preference) the LaRue LT-104 is only about 50 bucks more than the NF rings
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjohnson87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Roscoe i ordered a Bell and Carlson Medalist A2 is that a pretty good stock </div></div>

It is a commonly used stock that has pretty good reviews.

Like some other people I cant justify 900 dollars and a 6 month wait for a mcmillan, especially when you can get something like that b&c that will shoot almost as good.

If you have the money get a a5 or an a4. I have the money, I just dont think it is a good investment.....

I beg to differ. Put your gun and a check in a case and send it to:
2147 Forest Hills Blvd.
Haughton, LA 71037

That's your best bet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd do the following and in this order;

5. Install Night Force 20 MOA one piece scope base and rings</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Like some other people I cant justify 900 dollars and a 6 month wait for a mcmillan</div></div>

They're not $900 nor are they 6 months out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Like some other people I cant justify 900 dollars and a 6 month wait for a mcmillan</div></div>

They're not $900 nor are they 6 months out. </div></div>

True. I would love a a4. I have always loved the m40a3.

But I dont think my rifle is going to shoot a whole lot better because I got a mcmillan over something like the hs precision that is on my 700 now.

I have no doubt they are good stocks, I just cant see myself spendin the 600 bucks + getting it bedded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have no doubt they are good stocks, I just cant see myself spendin the 600 bucks + getting it bedded. </div></div>

Like I say.......the rifle stock and its fit is one of the most over looked components in a build. Never purchase one based purely on economics.

There are a lot of fishing baits out there
wink.gif

will truing the bolt lugs and bolt face help grouping is it worth 175 bucks and i also wanna get the B&C bedded it should be here monday

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Never purchase one based purely on economics. </div></div>

I try not to purchase a product PURELY on economics. I weigh the pros the cons and the value.

To me a stock that will improve my accuracy by .1 moa to even .3 moa is very important, but if I have a rifle shooting .5 moa I cant justify buying a stock that will double the cost of the rifle for 2/10ths of an inch at 100 yards.

Now Im typing this in snipershide. Most people here WILL spend the money on a mcmillan for that .2 moa. I can completely understand that. But for me (I dont compete in events or anything, its just a weekend hobby) its not worth it. Do I want one? Hell yeah! Maybe an a year or two I could see myself getting one but right now it would be a huge waste of money.

Roscoe, you mentioned the three triggers, Jewell, Shilen or Rifle Basix, what do you think about Timney triggers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjohnson87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">will truing the bolt lugs and bolt face help grouping is it worth 175 bucks and i also wanna get the B&C bedded it should be here monday </div></div>

I dont know about the truing, but bedding cant hurt and its relatively inexpensive.

Never owned or installed one......thats why they didnt make the list. I know guys that have em and love em. I'm a Jewell Trigger guy myself.

I have never used one either. I got a good deal on one the other day and will try it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never owned or installed one......thats why they didnt make the list. I know guys that have em and love em. I'm a Jewell Trigger guy myself. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do I want one? Hell yeah! Maybe an a year or two I could see myself getting one but right now it would be a huge waste of money.

</div></div>

I understand. I tend to be very biased with rifle components; I expect the very best performance out of the rifles I build. If I feel I can shave .1 or .5 from the group size, I do it. Past Performance is what I base my opinions on, nothing else.

Buy what you can afford but leave some money for ammo and fuel for range trips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do I want one? Hell yeah! Maybe an a year or two I could see myself getting one but right now it would be a huge waste of money.

</div></div>

I understand. I tend to be very biased with rifle components; I expect the very best performance out of the rifles I build. If I feel I can shave .1 or .5 from the group size, I do it. Past Performance is what I base my opinions on, nothing else.

Buy what you can afford but leave some money for ammo and fuel for range trips.
</div></div>

Yeah, Its just I dont think one would improve my groups much. Its not that the stock wouldnt help, its my skill level. My 700p already shoots better than I do. I have been shooting centerfire rifles for less than 6 months now. I think 6 months worth of ammo would benefit me more than an a4 as of right now. But sometime in the future I would love to see a mcmillan on my 700.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wnroscoe said:
cpt. obvious said:
Its not that the stock wouldnt help, its my skill level. My 700p already shoots better than I do. I have been shooting centerfire rifles for less than 6 months now.</div></div>

If that's the case, perhaps you should hold off on upgrades until you have more trigger time. Bedding and a quick trigger job might help but some of these other upgrades might not benefit you at this point. It might be worth shooting what you have until you catch up with it. The Hyde online training might help if you are not already registered. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wnroscoe said:
cpt. obvious said:
Its not that the stock wouldnt help, its my skill level. My 700p already shoots better than I do. I have been shooting centerfire rifles for less than 6 months now.</div></div>

If that's the case, perhaps you should hold off on upgrades until you have more trigger time. Bedding and a quick trigger job might help but some of these other upgrades might not benefit you at this point. It might be worth shooting what you have until you catch up with it. The Hyde online training might help if you are not already registered. Just a thought. </div></div>

Im not the OP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not the OP. </div></div>

Oops. My apologies then.

So guys back to the topic I need y'all exp guys help what could I do that makes a difference that is not gonna kill the bank account I'm slowly but surely and building it will have my a2 medalist Monday what next

Wait Wait Wait. Before you jump feet first and start throwing loads of money at the gun consider a few points. Have you worked up a sweet load yet? the biggest improvement to a remmy 7's accuracy is a sweet load, with a bit of work you will get the gun shooting 0.75 moa maybe better. Also consider this after you put in a new trigger, a new stock, get the action trued and do all the other things you need to do to get a factory rifle shooting really well you still have a tricked up factory rifle, why not sell the remmy and go buy a trg or an accuracy int and save yourself all the bollocks.

Well, since you've already got the stock on the way, have the rifle pillar bedded by someone with a proven track record of doing it correctly. It's not rocket science so there is no exceuse for someone screwing it up and trying to charge good money for it.

Once that's done throw a Rifle Basix or Timney trigger on it. Keep the weight up around 2 lbs. Not a fan of bench rest weight triggers that can slam fire on a hard cycling of the bolt.

See if Seekins has mounts and rings in aluminum. Not like steel six screw rings and a steel one piece mount are needed to resist the ferocious recoil of a .223. Save a few ounces of weight while you're at it.

Don't bother lapping and facing the bolt. Waste of time unless you know for a fact something is drastically wrong with the receiver. Save it until you replace the barrel at some point and have the entire receiver properly blueprinted. One problem with lapping too much is that it changes the headspace of the chamber. Likewise with facing a bolt.

Put a decent scope on top, work up a good handload, shoot the barrel out. By that time you should have a better handle on what you really should do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjohnson87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So guys back to the topic I need y'all exp guys help what could I do that makes a difference that is not gonna kill the bank account I'm slowly but surely and building it will have my a2 medalist Monday what next </div></div>

My original post stands.....minus the stock of course. It doesnt get any easier or cheaper than that.

+1, seen a lot of Remington 700's suddenly start shooting a lot better after a quality trigger and bedding job. The great thing is these are both things you can do yourself if funding is tight.

Not sure if you know it or not, but you are getting a lot of advice from a very reputable gunsmith on this site.

Before I shipped a case full of parts to Roscoe for a new build, I was shooting a factory Rem700 25-06. It basically only had a quality bedding job in a McM Sporter stock, and shot 1/3 MOA or better with Fed Premium ammo. I'd load pics of target if I knew how. Point being, rifle accuracy is about being able to repeat the same shot over and over. Taking out the "play" in your action each shot (by bedding) will remove one more variable in the equation. I would start there, then find the optimal load for that particular gun. Mods after that will go from impressing the guy sitting next to you at the range, to impressing yourself! What kind of accuracy do you seek?

I have two Remington 700 26" varmint model rifles, one in .223 and one in .308. They both average just a tiny bit over .5 MOA. They both have had 5 shot groups in the sub .5 MOA range. They're not custom built rifles either, both have a factory barrel, receiver, bolt assembly, recoil lug, trigger assembly.

The .223 has the factory HS Precision stock, factory trigger pull weight, and a Nikon Buckmasters optic with Leupold bases. The .308 has an AICS stock, factory trigger adjusted to 2.5#, Nightforce scope and rings, Leupold Mark 4 scope base.

If you want to improve your rifle's accuracy, I would have your BC stock bedded by a good gunsmith and then I'd forget everything else, get into reloading your own rounds, devote all your time into finding the best performing load possible then spend your money on components and range time. Worry about upgrading parts on your rifle and having custom work done when you have to re-barrel it. Handloads and practice is a good place for you to start now.

My 2 rifles shoot so well not only because they are bedded in high quality stocks and have dependable optics and bases, BUT because I found the right load for each rifle that turned them both into very, very accurate firearms.

Yea i agree i have tried alot of loads and so far a 50gr v max with 23.5gr of RL 10x shoots preety decent but i gotta find that sweet spot i guess you would say and see which one it likes best

I think you would like the Rifle Basix trigger. You can tune it down to 2.5 lbs which is a nice pull weight and it is the less expensive trigger. I am not a fan of these 16 oz. triggers. One day when you go to replace your stock look at the Manners. I have owned two Manners stocks and they were by far my favorite.....unless it was an AICS.
smile.gif

well it has the remington x trigger tuned down to 3lb its smooth i have heard good and bad about the trigger and my B&C A2 will be here tomorrow i would like to go ahead and bed it is it complicated i have never one before or should i just pay a smith to do it i have heard the the X trigger can be tuned down to 2.5 but i have no way of knowing feels like around 3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wnroscoe said:
cpt. obvious said:

If that's the case, perhaps you should hold off on upgrades until you have more trigger time. Bedding and a quick trigger job might help but some of these other upgrades might not benefit you at this point. It might be worth shooting what you have until you catch up with it. The Hyde online training might help if you are not already registered. Just a thought. </div></div>

Get the online training, its worth it!. And you can find used HS precison stocks for less than 200.

-dan

yea i thought about that ill check it out is the hs precison stocks better than the medalist ive heard really good things bout both

Just out of curiosity, what sort of groups is the rifle shooting now with your best load?

I agree with wnroscoe. First off get a aftermarket trigger for it. And find a load for it. On my Sendero I called Jered and asked him the simple question of what can I do to it without investing a ton of money into it. His response was, trigger, bed it, touch up the crown (it looks like crap) and lapp the lugs for full lug contact, and install a little Bastard brake just for recoil purposes.

I first used the Tubbs Final Finish system in it and it worked great. On my first load out it shot a .580 and a .620" groups at 100 yards shooting a 125gr Nosler Ballistic tip at 3750fps! And clean up? No copper fouling at all. The stock barrel cleans like my Broughton's! Im still impressed with the interior finish of the barrel.

This is a piece of computer paper it was at 200 yds i was shooting 50 gr hornady v max, 23.5gr RL-10x, and using remington 7 1/2 small rifle primers its not great but it wasnt bad using the piece of shit 3-9x50 BSA that was on it at the time
2zp6248.jpg

A few points...

Timney makes a great trigger that is very reliable. I own two Jewell triggers, you can get them very light but the break is not as clean as the Timney.

Are you still shooting the BSA? Your accuracy issues might be the BSA scope and not related to the rifle at all.

judging by the grouping, I would suggest the online training. The rifle apearntly wants to shoot real well, but it need a good driver to do it everytime. Also, at 200yds, your largest group is just bigger than MOA. Alot of people would call that acceptable with a factory rifle.

SO i guess its no to bad then a better optic would make a huge difference it was around 80 deg that day and the scope was blurry as hell

Finally it came looks good and feels so much more comfortable and solid now i need to bed it
5rzep.jpg

2i20yo4.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DedicatedShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... Handloads and practice is a good place for you to start ...</div></div>

This out to be a pop-up every time we log in. LOL.
laugh.gif

Many of us are way too quick to start buying the high-end doo dads when what we really need most <span style="font-style: italic">right now</span> is a good load and lots of time on the range with an experienced shooter watching and coaching. Me included.

Thanks alot capt been waiting for it for it so it's all comin together little by little

Are you getting another barrel?

It just seems like alot of money to go into a rifle that wont shoot more than 500 yards consistently.

Get a better scope. Something in the Super Sniper line or a bushnell 10x fixed. Start hand loading, you'll be shocked what handloading will do for accuracy, plus the cost. And in the mean time go and get online training here on the hide. Its the best $10 a month you'll spend on your shooting. As a side note about the online training, when you go into it, forget everything you thought you knew about shooting and start with an open mind and a blank piece of paper. You'll be better off for it.