• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to make it as a Gunsmith

Ledzep

Bullet Engineer
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2009
    Hornady
    I'm currently enlisted in the Marine Corps. I've got just under 2 years left of my 5-year enlistment and afterwards I want to do something with machining (tool/die making, gunsmithing, or manufacturing). I have some experience with machine tools already. I keep a 7x12" mini-lathe in my barracks room (surprisingly without catching any flak yet), and know some basics and have limited experience on a manual milling machine. I like it, and I want to get more experience. I'm mathematically inclined and making things gives me a warm/fuzzy.

That all said, I have very little commercial experience outside of the Marines. I'm left wondering what the steps are between schooling and a solid career somewhere (preferably in CO, NE, SD, or most preferably MT or WY) maintaining gainful employment.

From those who've been there done that, how does a guy get started in that line of work?

Also, if it doesn't work out, is the schooling for Gunsmithing going to carry over to something else seamlessly, or will it require more schooling?

As much as (I think) I would love to have that job, I'm also conscious and curious of my odds of success. I'm not worried about myself, but the situation-- Mostly because of my ignorance stated above.

I truly appreciate any insight given.

Re: How to make it as a Gunsmith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how to make it as a gunsmith.... have another job that pays the bills... at least until you make a name for yourself </div></div>

this

you can teach yourself alot. read books like "applied ballistics" by bryan litz , and "The Complete Illustrated Guide to Precision Rifle Barrel Fitting" Book by John L. Hinnant. those are two good ones i have read. i am sure others can add.

as far as school alot of community colleges have machining courses that can teach you a bit more.

i would look into an internship at a shop. if i lived anywhere need montana i would be hanging out at defiance machine.

DevilDog there's no substitute for experience.

You make it in this trade by working like a business. NOT a hobby.

If your serious and wind up in the black hills come see me. Who knows, just might put you to work.

SF

C.

That is a very real possibility. My grandparents live in Blackhawk and I really like the area. I'm pretty sure you're the shop my grandpa has told me about.

Hypothetically as the man in charge of such a shop, are you looking for competency or is schooling in the subject area a requirement? Is there room for otj training?

I'm wondering if its appropriate to go to a gunsmithing school directly after my EAS, or to get a degree in something like mechanical engineering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how to make it as a gunsmith.... have another job that pays the bills... at least until you make a name for yourself </div></div>

this </div></div>

Ditto

1. Have a wife with a good job.
    2. You work a day job.
    3. Shoot, by that I mean compete. To do great work you have to compete against the best shooters using the best equipment.
    4. By shooting you'll meet other smiths/mentors. Listen
    5. Start learning your craft by working on your own equipment. Then you'll get dead beat friends with no money to practice on.
    6. Always stay inquisitive.
    7. Specialize to one area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ledzep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a very real possibility. My grandparents live in Blackhawk and I really like the area. I'm pretty sure you're the shop my grandpa has told me about.

Hypothetically as the man in charge of such a shop, are you looking for competency or is schooling in the subject area a requirement? Is there room for otj training?

I'm wondering if its appropriate to go to a gunsmithing school directly after my EAS, or to get a degree in something like mechanical engineering. </div></div>

There is a big difference between gunsmith, and mechanical engineer in the way of money, and work. Just my opinion, and not because I'm smart, but because I'm old enough to know. I would go to school for mechanical engineering, get my degree, make some real money without killing myself. Then I would learn the gunsmithing stuff.

Few people have the money to invest in all the tools needed to start even a small competent shop which in the beginning will yield little money. It takes time and a lot of sacrifice on your part to make a name for yourself before people come running to you for work when you have all these well established names to chose from.

Don't want to go to school for a degree?? OK, then you can start applying at manufacturer's of firearms, and start at the bottom with one of them. In time you'll move from sweeping the floor to running equipment. After you know enough, and hopefully didn't spend all that big money they pay on beer, you can take a big chance and start your own business.

This is my case, and everyone else's is different I'm sure. I already had a career when I took an interest in rifle building. Made decent money, I think. My wife owns a business that makes even better money. I started in my garage on my own. No personal instructor standing over me to give me tips that aren't really mentioned in videos, or books. After a few builds that turned out great, I started doing freebes for family and friends to get more experience. Once I thought I had what it took, I took the plunge.

Nearly $80,000 later, miles of bullshit red tape from the local, and federal government, not to mention all the little hangups, I had a full functioning shop. Now, who to sell rifles to?? Barely made ends meet for the first year, starting making a little money on the second year, and finally making decent money on the third year. Year four came around, and I realized the reason I was making money was because I was living there. I had zero time to enjoy the money from my day job, and my gun shop. So I closed the pro shop. Hope that helps you understand a little about what it will take. I wish you the best of luck, and hope you'll stay in school. Be safe, and thanks.

I can't speak for any of the professionals here.

As a retired business owner I can offer some very basic comments.

You have a head start. You know what you want, and you have demonstrated significant effort to convert desire into action.

You will be going there to learn, so an open mind is called for, along with a recognition that knowing some ways to do things is good, but learning additional ways is also beneficial.

If your intention is to learn the trade and then go off on your own, make that clear from the start. That may change, but change or not, you will be entering ito a complex relationship. and such relationships need to be based on the truth if they are to have a reasonable chance for success.

A decent master of a trade will treat you with decency and experienced judgement. When things seem unclear, or uncertain, they rate the benefit of the doubt. Experience is a big justification.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ledzep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a very real possibility. My grandparents live in Blackhawk and I really like the area. I'm pretty sure you're the shop my grandpa has told me about.

I'm wondering if its appropriate to go to a gunsmithing school directly after my EAS, or to get a degree in something like mechanical engineering. </div></div>

Since you asked, I'll reply. My answers may offend some. Just know its based on personal experiences. It's nothing personal and obviously it doesn't apply to everyone.

First: I have a very, very, very cynical, jaded opinion of trade schools. -er, I mean skewelz.

As the manager of Anschutz I was given a top level, 1st year graduate from the Trinidad course. All the guy wanted to do was argue about everything. "Well, my instructors didn't teach it to us that way. . ."

-Nevermind that the owner of the business was Neal Johnson who was one of the GODS of all things smallbore/Olympic shooting and he's who taught me. Translate that into 40+ years of experience. His son David Johnson is the US National Team Rifle Coach at the Olympic Training Center in COS.

As the old saying goes: "Those who can, DO. Those who can't, TEACH."

Move forward several years:

As the manager of Nesika I was given 6 top level graduates from the CO School of Trades. Within 2 years 3 had been either fired or run off. Three stuck with it and have flourished.

So there's my experience on the matter. I can tell you this much. Trade schools exist to provide you a basic education on a profession. It gets you the vocabulary and some basic skills to build off of. The selling point they use is to promise job placement upon graduation. They tout salaries as starting in the $40K range.

That's utter bullshit. I promise you. This trade has pitiful wages when your starting out. Mine were around $240/week. As a manager I made between $30-$50K/year.

That's it.

As many have eluded to, ownership is where many try to go. I can tell you this much. It's very, very tough. Margins are razor thin. Employees are very expensive to retain. My guys take home way more than I do. All I seem to do is exchange bigger sums of money.

When I'm recruiting someone, I look for a student minded individual who's willing to work hard because he/she "gets it." They need to be passionate about what they do. They need to recognize when someone with more experience is trying to show them something instead of constantly trying to reinvent the wheel. -It's a bolt action rifle. Treat it as such. Don't lay in bed at night trying to dream up a flux capacitor recoil lug design.

Focus instead on the processes/procedures at hand and when the opportunity arises to improve, seize it and capitalize. It'll get you much further in life than dreaming up wigits.

Multiple brain cells are always better. I learn stuff from other people all the time.

Just like in the Corps, being dependable is #1 for any employer. I dont' expect 15 minutes prior, but that doesn't mean come in 2 hours late either. Keep the damn cell phone in the car. Texting while chambering a barrel aggrevates the shit out of me. It's just unprofessional and if you %uck up a barrel it gives me a big ol silver bullet to shoot at you. -regardless of whether or not its really your fault. . .

Know this and save yourself some big headaches. Regardless of what you do understand the civilian work force is a polar opposite of the Marine Corps.

One is that the world owes you something. It doesn't. Ever wonder why there's a plethora of SGT Majors and Gunny's that can't get a good job? They are untrainable. How does a guy go from being a Company Gunny to "just an employee" at a business? It's very, very tough.

My Dad is a retired Chief Master Sgt. There's more Colonels in the AF than there are Chiefs. 30+ years. He struggles holding basic jobs yet he has degrees in electrical engineering fields. Very smart guy, but after running entire nuclear missile wings, its tough having to listen to someone half your age who doesn't give two shits what you did in the former life.

I struggled with it for a good 3 years after leaving the Marines. The sooner you come to terms that you don't know much in the eyes of an employer the sooner you'll start learning and being successful. The skills you have are largely the intangible ones. Being on time, professional, honest, etc.

Stick to those and just learn a skill at the pace provided to you. Be aggressive on the learning curve and within 5 years you'll be sorting things out on your own.

SF and good luck.

C.

I can't thank you enough for the responses, gentlemen. You've definitely shed light where there was dark
    smile.gif
    Chad, from what you've said here, nothing pops out as something that will be a critical issue for me. I've already taken time to think about the shift from running the show to being on the bottom again, in a mostly "rankless" environment (we'll see how that goes LOL). I take work for other people (customer in this field) very seriously and really like getting it done quickly and properly.

Like I said above, anything involving machining is where I'd like to be, and it appears about everything in those fields has a sort of apprenticeship process. Gunsmithing is the ideal employment from where I sit now, so I think I will do what I can to learn what I can and get as much experience as possible before getting out of the military and give it a shot. I'm a quick learner.

If I can scrape by in the Black Hills or the Rockies, I will, so long as there's a little sunlight at the end of the tunnel. Pine trees, topography, and dry air...
    cool.gif

Very few 'gunsmiths' have found the profession 'lucrative. There are many many occupations with challenges, higher pay and testing your limits and abilities in the machineing/metal working world. Gunsmithing would really be on the bottom of the list as far as a career in metal work with a lathe/mill. There are so many other things that require more time from fitting to bedding stocks, ballistics, finishes/coatings and so forth.

If you limit yourself just to the metal work you will need a large clientel list to make it and will have to acquire the skills to gain trust of shooters from hundreds of miles away which Chad I am sure will verify.

Do repair work and while it will narrow down your business 'radius' to draw customers from it will also take alot of your time that you either can't charge for or customers will surely expect and many times demand you not charge for it. I know because I have been friends with several guys for 20+yrs and hear all kinds of stories. You must deal with mainly shooters I think and not hunters, most hunters haven't a clue what it takes to build a real accurate rifle and many don't care, ony the price!!! Shooters require more work from beddings, tighter machining tolerances etc. More money for your time generally but downside is fewer customers.

Closest 'real smith' to me anymore is 90 miles in a direction I rarely go. The ones I learned some things from were older gents and now dead or out of the business altogether.

Not trying to discourage you from a possible passion or where you want to live but I am very familiar with the mindset of gunowners in western SD, especially north of the hills. There aren't many that want to pay and haul home a $2-3K rifle in their $50K ranch truck. To the majority a rifle is like a post driver or fence stretcher, a tool, and it was bought at a farm/fleet store and usually about the cheapest one they had.lol

There is some money in the Hills but most of them have their 'preferred' smith now and it won't be easy getting them to change! But hey, the 'oil boom' may get here which will make a different ball game out of the economy but will drive up housing and land prices and everything that goes with living here.

I would recommend becoming a proficient and meticulous machinest for a day job and gun work as a hobby later and after work. Then you may find an employer willing to let you work nights using his equipment and learn and burn chips when you retire early.
    wink.gif

Can't remember how many people over the years asked me "why don't you open a gun shop"? Would have loved to but my reply was, "we have alot of hunters but NO shooter"! Only a real gun nut really appreciated what a good smith can make with his hands, most hunters are 'Walmart' hunters, they want it cheap and now!!!

Just my .02 cents on things, especially from this area that you mentioned as a 'maybe'.

Oh, and another thing, if you aren't busy and have little money and need tooling and parts then that glorious hobby now starts becoming a real PIA mentally and especially with a family to support down the road. A good friend that went to CO School of Trades and graduated in the 80's quit full time about 5yrs ago now because he was broke most times, burnt out from dealing with customers that brought it in wanting it fixed yesterday and then not picking it up for 6 months to 2yrs because they were broke, and he had his money setting in it that long! He now has had a desk job, first working as Business Manager for a school districe and now writing grants etc for a ND state agency for small businesses.

Respectfully,
    Dennis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wondering if its appropriate to go to a gunsmithing school directly after my EAS, or to get a degree in something like mechanical engineering.</div></div>

If you can get an accredited 4 year degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, etc engineering I would advise you on that path. You can take classes and screw around in the student shops during what little playtime you'll get in that 4 years, but a disciplined adult student will generally get FAR MORE from an engineering program than your average 18-22y/o kid.

I have 2 degrees in Mechanical Engineering and the gunsmithing work that I know how to do comes from practical experience as an engineer that worked his way through school making chips in other peoples' machine shops, building race cars, and whoring any skills I had to keep beer in the fridge and Ramen Noodle off the menu.

You've been given some excellent advice by several excellent gunsmiths/rifle builders. STR (Ozzie) is one of the guys that I'm proud to call a friend and the man knows what he is talking about. I've traded PM's and phone conversations with every one of the builders in this thread and every one is giving you their honest, best advice IMO.

If you can take the opportunity like the GI Bill and use it to get a solid education in Engineering you will be far far more useful to yourself, your future and your family than a trade school in gunsmithing would be.

Engineering school is not easy, there were many times where I looked up the mountain and thought "No F%^king way am I going to make it there". Well, I only made it through 2/3 of the way and then I got a job because I couldn't afford to stay in school anymore. College is largely what you make of it, treat it like a full time job, apply yourself and don't do shit at school that you wouldn't do at a job and you will do fine.

If you truly want to be a gunsmith of any various skillset (rifles, bolt rifles, custom pistols, MG stuff, etc.) then specialize in it, help to push non-specialty work for you off to guys who do it as a specialty and expect it in return (back scratching...) but you really need to WANT IT and it's not just a 9-5, punch in, punch out type job.

Best of luck with what you choose to do, I hope something of this helped.

I bought out a gun shop in Anchorage with the ideal of working it part time. The guy I bought it from refused to consider taking in any thing else.

There was a auto parts store in the same mini mall and the guys would bring parts to be machined. The gunsmith refused to take to the auto parts guys so if I was hanging around I'd do the machining using the Gunsmiths equipment.

Well he went broke and I bought him out. So when I hung up my shingle, I put two adds in the phone book. One for gunsmithing, and one for doing light machine work.

The phone range off the hook. Did some smithing, but the machine shop part brought in money big time.

An example, I'd fire up the bluing tanks once a week. Blued a few guns but make a killing on bluing diesel injectors for a large truck diesel repair place. 75 cents a piece and I'd normally do about 500 plus a week. Didn't cost nothing, I had the tanks fired up anyway.

I also had a contract with Firestone grinding flywheels. $25 a piece. 15 min floor time to floor time.

Thats just two examples.

My problem is I was working full time plus running a National Guard Company. I about wore my self to death.

I'm still some what burned out and that was 20 years ago. Sure I did some gun work. Not enough to pay the bills and eat, but the machine shop more then made up for it.

My advice, if thats the way you want to go, learn machining. Get a good lathe and milling machine and open up shop. You wont feed your family as an unknown gun smith, but few places do light machine work. Lots of big outfits, but few small ones.

An example; there is a lot of huge coal minds. They have machine shops but farm out the small stuff. Anything under $1000 is too small for them to fool with. But there arn't enough machine shops around that will take the small stuff. It wont take long before you will be able to feed your family and pay the bills if you are any kind of machinest at all.

Like I said, you need to be able to put some time in the machining part.

Now I wont do any machining but mine and only work on my own guns.

I got burned out big time.

Ledzep, do yourself a favor and get a mechanical engineering degree. It will open up a dizzying array of options and reward you with a very satisfying, upwardly mobile career.

I would hire a Machine tool grad over a gunsmith grad in a heartbeat as it is easer to train a machinist to be a gunsmith than the other way around.

You can be successful if you just assume you will be in poverty for the rest of your life... unless you win the lottery. Only a select few really do well. Just reality. Most people purchasing guns have a Walmart mentality and really wouldn't know quality work from a hack job.

I have two business's.

#1. Electrical Contractor
    #2. Rifle Builder

There's a very minimal percentage of the whole of rifle owners out here that truly understand the difference between a custom built precision rifle and a box stock shelf rifle. There's an even smaller percentage of those that know how to use them.

Even within that small percentage of select custom rifle owners there's a percentage of those that think they should be able to get a full blown custom with all the bells and whistles for less than the fair market price because some other smith is selling them for that. Memorize #6 below.

If you want to be successful in the world of rifle building several things have to happen and in a certain order;

#1 Read the book, The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Apply it to your business and life.

#2 Learn everything you can about precision machining and business first

#3 Obtain quality machines to work with

#4 Learn to build a precision rifle the right way, not the cookie cutter way

#5 Produce precision first above all else and stand behind your work like a rock.

#6 Know what you and you’re work are worth

#7 Establish your self in the market

#8 Know/learn when it's time to say No

Once you step out there you have to know what your worth and what your overhead is. Full blown custom rifles can cost upwards of $2,300 in just components alone. No labor, paint or bedding. Factor in your wage, utilities, tooling, machines etc. and your bumping $2,700+

I've seen rifles like this advertised for $3,000 to $3,200 new. That smith is already broke, he just doesn’t realize it yet.

It's a hard unforgiving world out here. In business, in order to succeed you better have a service/product that's first class, people cant live without, they want and need all rolled up into one.

One last thing for thought, rifle purchases deal primarily with discretionary money. Therein lies another set of problems, how to make one turn loose of that in a troubled economy. It would seem though that for now, that isn’t a major problem, firearms sales and the sale of components are at an almost all time high.

Good luck, it’s a dog eat dog world out here..........come get you some.

Have you checked what the GI bill will cover? (assuming you haven't used it up)
    It sounds like the mechanical engineering degree is the way to go. But GI bill/VA will cover some trade schools, it's worth checking into.

-Sons

SDWhirlwind, I am fairly familiar with much of the "other stuff". I have repaired several stocks, shaped and refinished wood, inlet stocks, glass bedded actions, I have parkerized several guns, hot blued a couple (looking into rust-bluing), I'm familiar with sand/bead blasting, and have Gun-Koted a few before I enlisted. That put a halt on most of the tinkering. I would not say my skills are at a professional level with everything, but there is a baseline to work from at the very least.

Aside from that, I've fit parts, done trigger work, chambered a barrel with borrowed equipment, drilled and tapped a receiver or two. Baby steps, and plenty of mistakes to learn from
    smile.gif

I think the <span style="text-decoration: underline">smart</span> thing to do is to get the 4-year degree, and get experience with my own guns and then family members'. Firearms are already a hobby, and I'm making room right now for a lathe big enough to do barrels and receivers with, and have intentions to get a milling machine in the next several years. I did a little more looking into the GI Bill and I think it's too good an option to not use it. Even if I don't go directly into an engineering field, the course materiel is something I also have interest in, and I believe a lot will carry over to the other jobs I have in mind. From that point I can decide where to go next.

Just something to add regarding my comments from yesterday. In no way was my intention to belittle what the guys here do to make a living, the rifles they routinely build are absolutely top tier performance machines. They also work their fingers to the bone to make ends meet or they have another job many times, it may seem like a really cool job, but as Mr. Dixon said early on it doesn't pay well unless you have a spotless name and work stacking on your bench... even then it's a balance between keeping the work log full and not taking on too much that you piss off waiting customers.

Of all the people that I know, there isn't a single 4-year degreed engineer that is unemployed right now or has been in the past 5 years. I know a lot of people who are constantly up and down in work but the engineers are always employed. There aren't enough good ones out there to fill up the market.

That's some damn good advice. Not just about Gunsmithing, but advice that can be applied to almost anything in life.

Thank you to those who contributed. I'm glad I read this thread.

I just read through this thread and there is a lot of good advice when applied to any career. I have to agree with everything Chad posted although I can't comment on the marine part as I wasn't allowed to serve with my asthma. This quote sums up what I run into the most when trying to train someone to be a mechanic.

"When I'm recruiting someone, I look for a student minded individual who's willing to work hard because he/she "gets it." They need to be passionate about what they do. They need to recognize when someone with more experience is trying to show them something instead of constantly trying to reinvent the wheel. -It's a bolt action rifle. Treat it as such. Don't lay in bed at night trying to dream up a flux capacitor recoil lug design."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two business's.

#1. Electrical Contractor
    #2. Rifle Builder

There's a very minimal percentage of the whole of rifle owners out here that truly understand the difference between a custom built precision rifle and a box stock shelf rifle. There's an even smaller percentage of those that know how to use them.

Even within that small percentage of select custom rifle owners there's a percentage of those that think they should be able to get a full blown custom with all the bells and whistles for less than the fair market price because some other smith is selling them for that. Memorize #6 below.

If you want to be successful in the world of rifle building several things have to happen and in a certain order;

#1 Read the book, The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Apply it to your business and life.

#2 Learn everything you can about precision machining and business first

#3 Obtain quality machines to work with

#4 Learn to build a precision rifle the right way, not the cookie cutter way

#5 Produce precision first above all else and stand behind your work like a rock.

#6 Know what you and you’re work are worth

#7 Establish your self in the market

#8 Know/learn when it's time to say No

Once you step out there you have to know what your worth and what your overhead is. Full blown custom rifles can cost upwards of $2,300 in just components alone. No labor, paint or bedding. Factor in your wage, utilities, tooling, machines etc. and your bumping $2,700+

I've seen rifles like this advertised for $3,000 to $3,200 new. That smith is already broke, he just doesn’t realize it yet.

It's a hard unforgiving world out here. In business, in order to succeed you better have a service/product that's first class, people cant live without, they want and need all rolled up into one.

One last thing for thought, rifle purchases deal primarily with discretionary money. Therein lies another set of problems, how to make one turn loose of that in a troubled economy. It would seem though that for now, that isn’t a major problem, firearms sales and the sale of components are at an almost all time high.

Good luck, it’s a dog eat dog world out here..........come get you some. </div></div>

This is the truth.

Hey Led,

About a year ago I was in the same situation as you. I checked out a few schools before my deployment to Afghanistan and put in application at MSC, in OK. I too wondered alot of the same things, if I was really going to make it, was this the right choice. Unlike you I'm not mathmatically inclined so engineering wasn't going to be a good career choice for me. I've only got 1 year out of two down for my schooling but so far here's some stuff I've learned that may be able to help you.

1) True gunsmithing is a dead trade. What I mean is exactly what every one has been saying. People want you to build them a sub MOA rifle for $100 more than a Walmart special. There are very few people out there willing to pay $3-$4 grand for a custom bolt action rifle, and even fewer who actually appreciate the work that goes into it

2) Today's firearm world is ruled by the "tacticool" side of things. More people are interested in Lego block guns (ARs) than a nice bolt gun. Anybody can go on youtube an within an hour become a AR assembling smith of doom. Personally a nice maple or walnut stocked rifle that was rust blued gives me a boner. But there aren't enough willing to pay for it.

3)Custom building rifles and even repairs themselves yield almost no profit. One of my instructors who's had his shop open for 8 years only makes 5-8 guns a year. however he makes $36K a year just welding bolt handles for Mosins, and then even a bit more on bluing. When I asked him straight up he says he doesn't make any money building guns.

4) I've found that I've been making a fair amount of money on the side just using my machining skills. A gunsmith is one thing, but a machinist makes the real money. I make little parts here and there. Mostly replacement parts for air rifles that have gone out of date, muzzle brakes, thread adapters. I've found more customers willing to pay me to make them a custom part rather than a custom gun. Because $30-40 is nothing for them, but you keep in mind it only took me 30 mins or so to make the part...they pass the word and all of a sudden your email is full and your phone won't shut up.

5) You wouldn't believe the money you can make just doing metal finishing. There was a girl about 5-6 years ago that paid her entire way through the gunsmithing program just by bluing on the side. A good metal finisher is in high demand because the tanks are expensive to set up. However once you're rolling it's pretty cheap to maintain. Like another poster said, you can run your tanks once a week all day and churn out dozens of parts. Even further still there is money to be had for folks willing to pay for a good rust blue (which imo is just gorgeous). Also for aluminium parts you can set up anodizing tank and make even more cash still. I haven't got my anodizing stuff set up, so I have to send all my little doo dad's out and that's money in that fellas pocket.

6)It sorta seems all the things that attracted me to gunsmithing seem to entail the least profit of all. Fine tuning a rifle, blue printing an action, hand making an entire stock. All labor intensive operations that a custom won't want to shuck out the cash for. To be honest I think I read somewhere that the top 10% gunsmiths in the nation only do gunsmithing on the side as it's not a viable source of income.

7) I was pretty hopeful of this career and in some ways I still am. A friend and I that were going to open a shop together building fine classic hunting rifles have thus decided to just have a machine shop/metal finishing. Most of gunsmithing reputation comes from word of mouth not from advertising. Until you build a client base and a name for yourself it'll be pretty hard to put food on the table just building/repairing guns. Since 90% of the people wanting you repair a gun bring in some POS .22 LR that will cost more to repair than to just buy a new one.

8)Liability is another thing to consider. Our intructors have plain scared the shit out of us with liability issues. In today's world people will sue you for anything and everything. It almost makes me not want to work on someones gun if I don't know who the hell they are. Very simple issues like you adjusted boneheads trigger to light and he shoots his wife in the face then sues you because the gun was unsafe, or you didn't get that chamber just right and the gun blows up on him, or whatever. Personally it nearly scares me off the business.

9)In the end though man if you really want it, you'll make it happen. There are definately more cons than pros becoming a career gunsmith. Marines are aggressive and we know how to make shit happen. Personally I'm sure there are some slim meals and late bills coming in my future. But if it's what you love to do and if it makes you happy then do it. No reason to be miserable in another job. Sounds like you like machining already. You can def. sustain yourself with machining everyone needs a small guy that will do small runs but still make good parts. I've still got a lot of learning to do, but I'm stoked about it and that's all I can ask for.

Best of of luck to your brother, I hope you find what you're looking for. And I hope this helped a little bit.

Semper Fi,
    Derek

3rd BN 5th Marines

Humble308, Hands down that is the best first post i have ever read. Welcome to the board brother.

Thank you for that, Humble308. Reading it was definitely helpful.

It's a relief to hear that at the very least machining will work. I'd like to end up doing as much metal working as is possible (welding, heat-treat, finishing, machining etc...). It seems like a guy could make money doing that, then do small-scale gunsmithing on the side if full-time gunsmithing doesn't cut it.

Again, gentlemen, Thank you all for the replies. A big shadow got lit up very quickly for me, and I appreciate that.

People offer me money to do gunsmithing.
    People offer me money to play the guitar.
    Between the two I would still be eligible for food stamps.

But in engineering, during the years when I work some overtime, I make more than the median income for doctors in the U.S.

I know a gunsmith with lots of inventions. He would have made a great engineer. But he always earns less than $30k/year. He is drifting into also making some motorcycle racing parts now, and doing better.

I know another gunsmith that drives a Porsche and is doing ok. He is a crook.

If you open a shop and have a few guns for sale, you may find that selling guns makes more money than the gunsmithing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know another gunsmith that drives a Porsche and is doing ok. <span style="font-weight: bold">He is a crook.</span></div></div>

You know the gunsmoke guy
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 707electrician</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know another gunsmith that drives a Porsche and is doing ok. <span style="font-weight: bold">He is a crook.</span></div></div>

grin.gif
    </div></div>

Yup! Is that guy <span style="font-style: italic">greedy</span> or what!

Paige can be my secretary though

I happen to know one of the best pistolsmiths in the country. He has a big shop, with quite a few very talented smiths on his team. He also manufactures some superb custom replacent parts which are sold in large numbers all over the country.

So you might say this guy is about as successful as a gunsmith can get. But if you ask him, he'll tell you he makes the lion's share of his income from his brake and muffler shop.

That's pretty telling, isn't it?

Cheers... Jim

I used to make custom AR-15 barrels.
    Then, the AR market exploded and there are so many choices off-the-shelf that it did not make sense to do custom barrels anymore.
    There are still an unlimited number of people that want barrels threaded and other parts swapping though.
    Then there are bolt gun muzzle brake and bolt knob installs.
    I continue to fund my shooting habit with that work...

"6)It sorta seems all the things that attracted me to gunsmithing seem to entail the least profit of all. Fine tuning a rifle, blue printing an action, hand making an entire stock. All labor intensive operations that a custom won't want to shuck out the cash for."

I'm quickly realizing this as well. Im glad I moved to machining school to broaden my horizons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith Johns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 707electrician</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know another gunsmith that drives a Porsche and is doing ok. <span style="font-weight: bold">He is a crook.</span></div></div>

grin.gif
    </div></div>

Yup! Is that guy <span style="font-style: italic">greedy</span> or what!

<span style="color: #CC0000">Paige can be my secretary though</span> </div></div>

Amen! I'd put her to work!

There's a lot of good information here.

That being said, there's a big misconception also.

Gunsmithing is not a dead trade. It's just a challenging one to excel at.

There is a difference.

The shooting community is not saturated with guys who want/expect million dollar work with a $100 price tag.

The challenge for anyone in this industry is to find and retain the clients that recognize good work costs more money.

They are out there. They are stacked on shelves 10 wide and 10 deep ready to burn holes right through their Visa cards.

The trick isn't finding them. It's setting yourself up for success so that they find YOU. It requires patience and the ability to distinguish yourself from the hatchets working in a cave with an axe/torch.

Do that and you just might get to spend a few shekels on something other than Top Ramen.

C.

Where I have seen most people fail at making a living from their trade is not understanding the basics of running a business. Sure, someone can weld or machine with the best of 'em, but that doesn't matter much if one cannot also perform the basic tasks involved with accounting, finance, marketing, production scheduling, customer service, and legal compliance.

Find a person who has what you want, contact said person and ask if they will help/mentor/guide you with whatever you are doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's setting yourself up for success so that they find YOU.</div></div>

So true.
    Even after I quit chambering AR barrels 5 years ago, I still have people begging me to do one for them.
    Maybe I ought to double my prices and see if people will pay what my time is worth now...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where I have seen most people fail at making a living from their trade is not understanding the basics of running a business. Sure, someone can weld or machine with the best of 'em, but that doesn't matter much if one cannot also perform the basic tasks involved with accounting, finance, marketing, production scheduling, customer service, and legal compliance. </div></div>

People don't realize how much work the "business" part of business really is.
    You don't get to spend nearly as much time in the shop being productive as you would like to.

All of that back office stuff can really be minimized with a bit of savvy - if you are a soul proprietor.

For example, I know a guy who wanted to implement Quick Books - if you follow the basic directions and you create way to much work for yourself. Don't! Instead manage the shit out of the 20% of things that drives 80% of your profits. Don't implement some fancy inventory system, when you can organize your shop to manage the parts visually. KISS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of that back office stuff can really be minimized with a bit of savvy - if you are a soul proprietor.

For example, I know a guy who wanted to implement Quick Books - if you follow the basic directions and you create way to much work for yourself. Don't! Instead manage the shit out of the 20% of things that drives 80% of your profits. Don't implement some fancy inventory system, when you can organize your shop to manage the parts visually. KISS

</div></div>

Amen to that! You can drive yourself to suck starting a Glock with QB if your not careful.

Simple, Simple, Simple.

Example.

I use USPS to ship 99% of our stuff. For $200 bucks I bought a patch that interfaces QB with my shipping account provider. Now its only ONE data base. Everything communicates with the other.

Tracking #'s go straight to invoices and get emailed to clients.

NO PAPER! It's all about saving trees, NOT buying filing cabinets, and NOT having to store the crap.

One thumb drive does what 50000 filing cabinets would do.

Gotta love the modern age!