• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing How to make remington bolt handle like a Surgeon

BMG50CAL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2006
NJ
The remington bolt handle hits my trigger finger. how to straighten it out so it more like my surgeon actions.

Re: How to make remington bolt handle like a Surgeon

send your bolt to a smith and have a PTG handle put on it.

I would send it to Kampfeld Customs and have him do it. He is THE man!

I would recommend Nathan Dagley of Straight Shot Gunsmithing. He will tig weld the PTG on your bolt for a very reasonable price. Bonus, the PTG handle you can get threaded, ready for the bolt knob of your choice...

If this is what your after send it to Karl, Dan or Nathan. For the price of a badger knob install you can have a real handle tig'd on.

IMG_5145.JPG

Shooters, be advised that you may or may not have good success running the PTG Straight handle.

If you study the handle you will notice that its cam extraction angle is a little more shallow and less aggressive. This will mean that you may not be getting the correct extraction out of your rifle with this handle installed.

I had Dan at Accu-tig weld this PTG handle on my Remington and locate it forward to maximize extraction. Well after shooting all day and weak extractions my handle actually broke off. This was because I had to actually beat my hadle up and back to get it to extract because the bolt handle was not being pulled back far enough due to this extraction angle on the PTG Straight handle.

Just my experience I will never run another one on a Remington due to this problem.

Mark

DSC05810Large.jpg

DSC05811Large.jpg

DSC05812Large.jpg

DSC05815.jpg

Re: How to make remington bolt handle like a Surge

I have them on 3. Rifles with no complaints yet. 1 223 500 or so rounds, 1 308 with about 350 on it, and a 280 ackley with about 150. I think the problem you describe could be avoided if the smith has the entire action in hand which is how Nate does it. I by no means have alot of rounds through mine due to time but I guess time will tell down the road.

Mark,

I am not 100% sure on any of this, but it seems that even people without their factory handle timed properly (getting less than 50%) primary extraction contact, rarely seem to have a problem breaking off a silver soldered handle due to cases sticking. I am wondering if you feel this was really from the extraction cam surface being smaller, or if there is another issue here? Perhaps the camming contact issue is compounded by having cases sticking to the point that beating the handle becomes necessary?

I am having Nathan install a couple bolts, including PTG handles for me in a couple Defiance actions. The Defiance action has a unique helical camming surface, and Nathan actually custom grinds the PTG handles to match this surface, perhaps he does the same thing on his standard Rem 700 installs too? All I do know is that Nathan seems to be particularly aware of primary extraction issues.

I had a PTG handle and bolt installed by GAP on a .308 I had a while back, and it performed flawlessly for several hundred rounds, though I only shot FGMM out of that rifle.

I wonder if this is something you made Dave Kiff aware of? What did he have to say about the camming surface on his bolt handles?

I am only asking these questions of you because I feel like a guy with your reputation on this site can cause people to greatly question the PTG handle, even when other people have had such great luck with them.

Thanks

Dave

Also, I don't want to speak to the quality of someone else's welding job, as I am not a welder and could do far worse an attempt personally. That said, it concerns me how cleanly the handle broke off that bolt. I would think that a solid weld joint would create something that looked more like the seam tearing, instead of such a clean break right at the joint.

Dave, I understand your comments, were the actions you had the handles put on Remington's? I don't think I had pictures, but what I experienced was minimal extraction contact due to the handle.

With a Remington factory handle installed it worked perfectly. Both handles were located around .005-.010" rear of touching the front of the bolt handle cut out on the action.

Dan does a really good job with the Tig Welding. I think the problem can be traced back to the bottom of the weld needing to be thinned out in order to get the bolt handle to rotate clockwise(Looking over the action down the barrel).

If others are getting good luck with the handle then that is great, and I would give it another try.

Thanks for the info Dave.

Mark

The rifle I had GAP install a PTG knob into was a Remington 700. I didn't have any problems with extraction in it over several hundred rounds. I didn't look at the camming surface on the handle either, so I can't say what I felt the % contact was, but I never had to beat the handle to pull a case out. I know Dan is very well regarded with his tig welding, which is why I didn't want to say too much about the job he did.

I had a Lawton action or two that I felt the extraction camming surfaces were quite a bit different than Remingtons. It seemed to me that there was less contact and less extraction to start with, but even with those actions I didn't experience any extraction issues. I wish you had some pictures of it before, would be very interesting to see the difference between the two.

At the end of the day, your work speaks for itself, and I would tend to trust your expience. I was just asking questions to clarify the entire issue, as I thought that might be helpful to people looking into the PTG handles. I think if there is a genuine issue with all his handles, he would be more than wanting to hear about them, as I am sure he is capable of correcting any of them.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooters, be advised that you may or may not have good success running the PTG Straight handle.

If you study the handle you will notice that its cam extraction angle is a little more shallow and less aggressive. This will mean that you may not be getting the correct extraction out of your rifle with this handle installed.

I had Dan at Accu-tig weld this PTG handle on my Remington and locate it forward to maximize extraction. Well after shooting all day and weak extractions my handle actually broke off. This was because I had to actually beat my hadle up and back to get it to extract because the bolt handle was not being pulled back far enough due to this extraction angle on the PTG Straight handle.

Just my experience I will never run another one on a Remington due to this problem.

Mark

</div></div>

my first question is how does one go about clocking the handle in the proper location around the bolt body when they don't have the receiver on hand? i can see getting the fore and aft correct with simple measurements but the clocking portion i haven't figured out yet.

my next question is do you mind if i borrow those pictures to post on a thread from a while back where people thought that welding a handle on will compensate for sticking cases? i was saying a handle breaking off from pounding on it was the result of another problem, not <span style="font-style: italic">the</span> problem. welded handles could still come off when used for a purpose other than what they were intended. these will also be good pictures for people to take a good look at before they decide to use a bolt knob attached to a two piece bolt to torque their scope rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The remington bolt handle hits my trigger finger. how to straighten it out so it more like my surgeon actions. </div></div>

Sorry for the distraction to the OP, FWIW, I find that when I make my best attmepts to keep my finger at 90° to the trigger, a straight bolt handle gets in the way more so than a swept back Remington handle.

DD

Mark , we send out hundereds of threaded handles each week with or with out bolts. Remington receives many of these handles ,also IMI in Isreal,and many many more nato contractors and gunsmiths use them . Since we made our last revision over a year or so ago I have only had one handle come back. I have had a few calls about the folks putting them on doing a crappy job. If you have a better idea on the way I machine them let me know and I will make a sample for you to try. I would like to talk you into putting your own handles on also . Timing makes it or breaks it . I will be looking forward to talking with you about your ideas . We have two new handles coming out on the market . One is longer and the other has a machined dog leg and it looks killer .Like you every thing I do I guarantee to be correct. My number is 541-826-5808 . Let me know if you would like me to make you a better design that you may be thinking about. Thanks Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The remington bolt handle hits my trigger finger. how to straighten it out so it more like my surgeon actions. </div></div>

Sorry for the distraction to the OP, FWIW, I find that when I make my best attmepts to keep my finger at 90° to the trigger, a straight bolt handle gets in the way more so than a swept back Remington handle.

DD </div></div>

If your hand is hitting, are you using those ridiculously oversized bolt handles, factory Rem, or something like the standard Surgeon bolt handle? I seriously doubt your hand getting in the way of one of those.

Big bolt handles are useless, ugly and useless... my opinion, of course.

Dave,

The bolt handle was purchased back in 2007, I do not know if there were changes to newer models or if this is the same model that your still running today.

I must apologize for putting the blame on the handles design with out looking too much further into the issues of the bolt.

After lots of thought I think that the problem could be traced back to a timing issue. Especially if thousands of other handles have been installed with successful extraction. Also, If the lugs up front were not cleared by the time that the rear extraction surfaces contacted then it would fail to extract properly.

I would imagine that to get a case started in the extraction process, just a small rearward movement would be necessary to facilitate extraction and most handles would have enough surface contact.

As mentioned earlier, the handle was tig welded by Accu-Tig and even though I have never had any problems with their work and I would still recommend it, I would agree that to get the handle to be timed perfectly would be by having the action on hand as well.

Now with all that said, I still would like to see a little larger surface area on the bolt handle to let extraction be more forgiving if possible. I'd imagine that its set up currently to do so.

Mark

I had my Stiller bolt handle (Kiff bolt) come off the body of the bolt before. Sent it back to Stiller and they had it fixed without issue. I have since had the bolt handle welded to the handle. If I was to invest into another 700 clone, I would definitely get one that has a 1 piece bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

DD </div></div>

If your hand is hitting, are you using those ridiculously oversized bolt handles, factory Rem, or something like the standard Surgeon bolt handle? I seriously doubt your hand getting in the way of one of those.

Big bolt handles are useless, ugly and useless... my opinion, of course.</div></div>

Yes, the PTG handle did have an aftermarket knob on it. While my experience with them is apparently different than yours, I would agree that the knob is what caused the interference with my finger at 90°. I was just stating to the OP that if he is having issues with the swept handle, it may not be cured by moving to a straight one. He did state that he already has a Surgeon though, which he doesn't have contact with. Perhaps his issue is related to the 'big ugly' knob too?

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdtravers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Highly recommend Terry Cross, KMW. Here is a link to the site with regards to Bolt Handles/mod to 700. Steel is generally more desirable than aluminum because the weight will aid in the inertia of opening and closing the action.

www.kmwlrs.com/TacticalBoltHandle.htm</div></div>

While I would typically highly recommend Terry as well, what you linked is a knob replacement, and this doesn't do anything to straighten the handle like the OP was inquiring about. I am not aware that Terry offers handle replacements, but I have not ever asked him either.

I had the same problem as the op....

I did this....
P9220034.jpg

looks funny, but cycles nice, my brass ejects about as far as an AR15.....
laugh.gif

I have big hands and it doesnt hit or touch when static only on recoil, it impacts a little right on my finger joint. its a aftermarket knob which i like cause its easier to use while wearing gloves.

On my surgeon rifles the little bit of the change in the handle is all i need to keep from hitting.

To the other guy how did you bend the handle i only need my moved maybe 1/4 inch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have big hands and it doesnt hit or touch when static only on recoil, it impacts a little right on my finger joint. its a aftermarket knob which i like cause its easier to use while wearing gloves.

On my surgeon rifles the little bit of the change in the handle is all i need to keep from hitting.

To the other guy how did you bend the handle i only need my moved maybe 1/4 inch

</div></div>

I think the point of the majority of the replies was that you won't have much luck bending your current handle. They are a cast piece, and are likely to snap if any type of bending is attempted. What most people do to get a straight handle is to have the original completely replaced with a PTG handle (typically by having it timed and tig welded). This response exempts chpprguy's method, as I am not sure how that was accomplished.

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same problem as the op....

I did this....
P9220034.jpg

looks funny, but cycles nice, my brass ejects about as far as an AR15.....
laugh.gif
</div></div>
Peyronies disease

I feel a good silver soldered weld is every bit as strong as tig...if not stonger as you have a larger area of weld but it needs to be done well. A bolt handle clocked and positioned correctly should have no breaking issue unless firing nuclear hot loads......(I am guilty of that the odd time but the extractor broke before the handel shifted)

I wouldn't even contemplate getting a handle fitted without the action being present!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
To the other guy how did you bend the handle I only need my moved maybe 1/4 inch
</div></div>

If you're referring to me, I cut it off and re-welded it....
you could notch the font of the handle close to the knob, bevel the edges of the notch, bend forward and re-weld....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NickG.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Peyronies disease </div></div>

Nice.....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> you won't have much luck bending your current handle. They are a cast piece, and are likely to snap if any type of bending is attempted. What most people do to get a straight handle is to have the original completely replaced with a PTG handle (typically by having it timed and tig welded). This response exempts chpprguy's method, as I am not sure how that was accomplished.

DD </div></div>

are you sure they are cast?
I don't actually know if they are/aren't, I do know it welded like a billet or forged steel and not like a casting....

I do know I am pretty hard on my bolt... I have sheared the pin twice on my side bolt release.... and the bolt handle is doing fine...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> you won't have much luck bending your current handle. They are a cast piece, and are likely to snap if any type of bending is attempted. What most people do to get a straight handle is to have the original completely replaced with a PTG handle (typically by having it timed and tig welded). This response exempts chpprguy's method, as I am not sure how that was accomplished.

DD </div></div>

are you sure they are cast?
I don't actually know if they are/aren't, I do know it welded like a billet or forged steel and not like a casting....

I do know I am pretty hard on my bolt... I have sheared the pin twice on my side bolt release.... and the bolt handle is doing fine...</div></div>

I am pretty sure they are, that's why they are known to have voids in them. I think it comes from the casting process. I am not a welder, so I don't know what the difference between how it welds vs other materials. Just seems to be a pretty prevalent issue with the voids when people are threading these for knobs.

Ok,
it sure does weld nicely...

I originally did the "screw trick" to the bolt handle,
but last time I re-barreled it, I welded it to the bolt, and put the crazy bend in it.....

it looks a little weird, but I am actually doing it to all my bolt guns now.... it's really comfy.....