• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to mimic factory loads??

Benchguy57

Minuteman
Feb 12, 2014
St. Louis Missouri
As the title says, are there any books and or websites that can help you mimic a factory load?
Or if any of you guys know how to mimic a load.
Thanks for your assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can positively identify the powder, yes. BUT-many factory loads are not made with canister grade powder or it is nearly the same a canister grade with slight modification.
I set out to replicate the Hornady Superformance Match 308win 168 a-max load. Identified the powder as Varget and weighed it. Hand assembly yielded an almost exact replication.
I'm assuming you have a factory box that shoots well and you want to replicate. Right?

If you can get the projectile, you will be way ahead. Run some factory rounds through a chrono so you will know where to start velocity wise. Like No1 said, sometimes they use their own powder, not available to us. But if you can get the bullets and you know the speed, you will have to research load data that produces that speed and work it up yourself. If your rifle shoots a factory round well, it will shoot a reload well, it is just a matter of experimenting. Good luck.

Look for the threads on sleuthing the Mark 316 Mod 0 and similar threads. See how they figured out what the powder was.

It is a combination of what works with the cartridge/bullet, look of powder (size and shape of grains, color), and density (weight of a given volume of powder).

Look for the threads on sleuthing the Mark 316 Mod 0 and similar threads. See how they figured out what the powder was.

It is a combination of what works with the cartridge/bullet, look of powder (size and shape of grains, color), and density (weight of a given volume of powder).

Most of that "sleuthing" consisted of someone publishing a "build sheet" that indicated the components and charge weight.

As for "Factory load duplication", a chronograph is the best tool. Start by firing a few factory rounds in YOUR rifle rather than just working of the published specs. Then just shoot various loads across the chrono until you get the same avg speed. If you don't use factory ammo shot from your rifle then make sure you're using the same methodology for measuring speed. Most of us use a chrono 10-12 ft from the muzzle while some manufacturers use other methods. As an example the Military states speeds at I believe 70 yards or so downrange. Run those speeds through an "instrument correction" program to make sure you're comparing like/like methods

Same muzzle velocity does not mean same barrel time. So you could end up with a load with the same MV, but horrible accuracy.

But BEST way is to not worry about duplicating factory loads, but do an OCW and work up a load htat works with your rifle using components you can get.

Question: What is your reason for duplicating the factory loads?

I have found that although some factory loads work well in a rifle or pistol, there are many combinations that are better in terms of accuracy and velocity that are not offered.

I find this to be true especially with the simple fact that factory ammo is always on the light side for bullet weight.

If you can get the projectile, you will be way ahead. Run some factory rounds through a chrono so you will know where to start velocity wise. Like No1 said, sometimes they use their own powder, not available to us. But if you can get the bullets and you know the speed, you will have to research load data that produces that speed and work it up yourself. If your rifle shoots a factory round well, it will shoot a reload well, it is just a matter of experimenting. Good luck.

What he said

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate all the info.
I'm just seeing if it's possible to do, figured if it is this would be the place to find the answer.
Thanks again.
As far as getting the projectiles, I've found nosler 2nds to be a great deal. Great bullets, sub moa @ 100 yards with most of my hunting factory rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk