• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to repair a broken AR-15 trigger guard tab

308MAUS3R

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Missouri
The more AR-15s you assemble, the more likely you are to break off one of the trigger guard tabs. I used to be one of the folks who said: "I'm careful, that will never happen to me." but it did. For those of you that have never assembled an AR-15 lower, there is usually a roll-pin that holds the rear of the trigger guard in place that has to be driven through both tabs and the trigger guard. All it takes is a crooked roll pin and an unsupported tab and it happens.

The fix is rather simple. Take a Magpul MIAD trigger guard that is made from aluminum and tap the rear hole #8-32 all the way through. Drill out the tabs on the lower so that a #8 screw fits through them easily. Obtain two #8-32 screws that are 1/4" long and a #5-40 screw that is also about 1/4" long. Insert the #5-40 screw into the front trigger guard hole on the right side of the receiver and screw the rear of the trigger guard to the unbroken tab. Use some Devcon or other industrial epoxy and epoxy the broken tab back into place and use the other #8-32 screw to hold it in place. This repair makes the MIAD trigger guard a structural piece and the broken tab is now just cosmetic.

I have been testing this setup for over two years now and have yet to have any trouble with it. The only #5-40 screw I could find at my local ACE was shiny and I always meant to find a black one, but never got around to it. I also meant to try to hide the gray line left by the epoxy, but once again, it works, so I never got around to it.

DSCN0221%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

DSCN0223%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Re: How to repair a broken AR-15 trigger guard tab

I did the same fuckup on a sbr lower, didnt go out to my gun room for a week I was so pissed,, nice fix btw,,,,,,

I did that a couple years ago and used krazy glue to fix it. I sold that rifle awhile ago and the new owner hasn't bitched at me so it must still be holding...

please dont flame this one ...but if break lug go to ''stark inc' for a new grip ,yes its very nice with way different grip angle ....no i didn't break it http://www.starkequipment.com/ for some help ..

Stark. Interesting. Is that like Tony Stark? As far as fixing it. It's interesting but I'm not a gunsmith. If I can't fix it with riggers tape or jb weld. I take it elsewhere. Thx though. I'll keep in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cz777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">please dont flame this one ...but if break lug go to ''stark inc' for a new grip ,yes its very nice with way different grip angle ....no i didn't break it http://www.starkequipment.com/ for some help .. </div></div>

The stark grip was actually the way I initially "repaired" this one. The problem with the stark is that it makes it nearly impossible to actuate the selector switch without completely moving your hand on the grip.

This method gives the option of using any grip that you want.

+1 on jb weld. Miracle glue
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cz777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">please dont flame this one ...but if break lug go to ''stark inc' for a new grip ,yes its very nice with way different grip angle ....no i didn't break it http://www.starkequipment.com/ for some help .. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on jb weld. Miracle glue
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cz777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">please dont flame this one ...but if break lug go to ''stark inc' for a new grip ,yes its very nice with way different grip angle ....no i didn't break it http://www.starkequipment.com/ for some help .. </div></div> </div></div>

I'd try the JB Kwik, had good luck with it and it's fast-fast-fast.

doesn't one of the mappul grips also not use the rear pin?

FYI, Rainier sells the Magpul trigger guard already tapped and with the proper screws to accomplish exactly this. I think they have it branded as their own.

Nice how to thanks

This can be welded I broke mine of my Sig 556 and was able to weld the piece back on. looks the same as before

Call LMT and get a RMA.
Send it in.
Wait.
Wait.
New lower with old serial number arrives in mail.

Total cost. Less than 1x tube of JB Weld...

I've tigged up a few. Not easy nor worth the while. A new lower is the best way to
go. Epoxy isn't going to hold up if you expect the lower to hold the pin and not the
pin hold the piece to the lower. Support the backside and shim the trigger guard if
there is a gap and you will never break another one.

wow duck tape ,krazy glue and bubble gum all can work[field expedient repair] but fix it right please ,we are not a 3rd world nation yet...your life may count on it!!!