• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how to stabilize a harris bipod shooting off cemen

cruze5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
Kentucky
Cement

my primary range i have to shoot off cement. I have a harris bipod with standard feet. I use the eagle hsrc mat. I will lay prone on the mat with the legs just past the mat so its on the concrete.

In shooting prone its my understanding you want to lean into the bipod. (correct me if i am wrong) on concrete there is no way to keep the feet from moving.

Re: how to stabilize a harris bipod shooting off cemen

Scoot further back on your mat to allow the legs to rest on the mat?

550 cord a loop to your mat that you can wrap around the legs to keep them from sliding fwd?

Thats all i got.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NateP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scoot further back on your mat to allow the legs to rest on the mat?

550 cord a loop to your mat that you can wrap around the legs to keep them from sliding fwd?

Thats all i got.

+1. THis is what I do

</div></div>

Not familiar w/ the Eagle mat but I have used a 3/4" dowel rod sewn into the end of the mat as a leg stop. I have also seen a hole opened in one end w/ the same dowel rod but held w/ zip ties punched through the fabric if you can't sew.

Cheers,

Doc

I roll the front of the mat under itself just enough to make a slight ledge to place the bipods against. You can't preload the bipods too much, but it works just enough for me.

sometimes......the scope cover....that is if you are a gear queer and got aPADDED scope cover......a PADDED scope cover might bring you joy when you place the feet of the bipod inside the scope cover and see if you can drive the stick to any great success....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sometimes......the scope cover....that is if you are a gear queer and got aPADDED scope cover......a PADDED scope cover might bring you joy when you place the feet of the bipod inside the scope cover and see if you can drive the stick to any great success.... </div></div>

i do have this:

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=177

i would have NEVER thought of that!! Thank you for all the replies

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check these out, it might be the solution to your problem

http://www.phoenixtactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=86 </div></div>

i have looked at those, and they are out of my price range, but they do look like they would work great out in the field

thanks for the info... i just took my rifle shooting and didn't know how people lean into the bipod... i was putting some weight into it and it would just slide on the table.

or take the mat to the local seamstress and get a small flap sewn along the front edge of the mat. 2" sewn along the length and a up the edges so its like a long shallow pocket that opens towards you that the feet can be pushed against using the mat you are laying on as the anchor. if that makes sense

I compete in prone shooting with bipod support and got much better results from the harris (and other bipods) when I took slices of bicycle inner tube and wrapped around the feet.

They are plenty sticky so you can preload on almost any surface and softens the contact between substrate/rifle a bit so you get less vibrations (lack of better word) during recoil.

Got the tip from a police marksman here in Sweden and it works great.

Two dollar cheap welcome mat from a Dollar General cut in half so you can help another shooter as well. Place out infront of the mat where the bipod rides. I picked green but go wild.

sling up and leave the bipod at home or carry around a cut in half dollar general welcome mat that screams win. you decide.

Did you ever think of stopping the Harris legs from rotating?

The owner of Harris wouldn't incorporate this into their bipods so I did.
Leg lock screws:
http://www.phoenixtactical.com/index.php...aivdeq6028jsgk6

Mr. Harris developed the Harris bipods in 1978 where he wanted the legs to rotate so he could easily move the weapon back and fourth across the bench...repeat BENCH.
This was a direct quote from him from a few years ago before he passed.
His wife runs the company now.
The majority of Harris users are equipped with the notched leg style bipods.
Easy fix. doesn't solve all the worlds problems but again, easy fix.

Just sayin'

Scott

scott thank you for the reply

But you didn't answer my question fully . I shoot off concrete for the most part. on the occasion sand/ grass, mud. Which footing would be best for concrete?

How difficult are these to take off the bipod once they are installed? the same for the feet?

I am not seeing the advantage of the bigger feet or am i just missing something?

Cruz,

The rubber MOUT footings were designed for such an occasion.
They work very well on loose soil also due to the flat surface.
Claws dig in but as you can imagine they will slip on concrete.
That's why it's a system that is interchangeable.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Don't lean into the bipod more than just ensuring the stock is properly in the shoulder (firm, not hard, hand grip should pull it in). Pushing hard onto the bipod just isn't good and adds inconsistency to the shot. A rifle bipod is to hold up the rifle off the floor nothing else. On machine guns then thats something completely different as anything to keep the rock and roll of numerous moving parts and repetitive recoil can be tried.

A heavy rubber backed mat, door mat, might do it. Hessian Sandbag filled with sand can't be beaten.

I will second the loading issue, as loading the the bipod creates another variable in your shooting. The loading will ruduce jump but at the cost of shot placement on the first shot.(IMO) I actually load a very little on my hand holding the rear bag (tactical bean bag.. lol) as Muskett said that is only to have the rifle stock in the right place.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjG1JZxiui0&feature=related

Yes, it's an Atlas. I realize this. The procedure is the same for the Harris. I have no problem with my box-stock BRM-S on flat/smooth concrete.

You don't need to totally prevent the bipod from moving. It will roll back slightly under recoil. If you are straight behind the rifle then it will come back into position and do it quickly enough to spot even close range impacts.