• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to tell AR gas system length without tools?

Dregs

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2010
Hawaii
Hi there!

How can I tell what length my gas system is on my AR without taking anything apart?

I'm not exactly able to remove my front sight and take a tape measure to it. To remove my handguard I'd need to remove my FSP.

I've been having a hell of a time trying to find the answer to this.

I have a bushmaster XM15 that's registered as 18".

Re: How to tell AR gas system length without tools?

Got a picture of it?

CHRIS

The position of the gas block. Or, in your case, where FSP is at.

If it's a "typical" M-4 style rifle, then it's likely a carbine length gas system. If it's a M-16 stile rifle (longer than a M-4) it's likely a rifle length gas system. Picture will let folks know immediately.

Rich

I'm at work so I thought I didn't have any pictures to show, but remembered I can just pull up pics I've left at other sites!

241v09k.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt">One person said it maybe could be mid-length.</span>

I guess my big dilema is, I want to change out the handguard, specifically, to the CASV-S. That fits mid-length, and carbine length too if a low profile block is installed.

THANK YOU!! I've been searching for this answer for a while now. Didn't want to take it down to the shop just so I can tell them I'm ordering online. Everything is over-priced in Hawaii.

Sorry for off topic but where did you get the sling?

Thats a carbine..

From front edge of upper receiver to rear edge of gasblock/fsb:

Carbine: 7-1/4"

Mid-length: 9-1/4"

Rifle: 12-3/4"

That sling is a voodoo tactical one. Was cheap so I got it. I don't think I like it but I'm gonna hold on to it for a bit lol.

Thanks for the extra information guys!

Ditto on hating single point slings. VTAC for me.

Rich