• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to tell if a load is compressed?

jd65

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Texas
In the past I have not dealt with compressed loads so this is new to me. Is it as simple as shaking the loaded case and if you hear powder rattling inside then it is not compressed, if no powder movement inside then it is compressed?

I am loading a new to me cartridge, the 300wsm. I am seating the bullets with a Forster micrometer seating die and don't want to damage the stem. Components being used is new & fully prepped Winchester brass, RL16, Fed 215m primers & Federal Edge TLR 175gr bullets. At 63.0gr of powder there is no audible movement of the powder inside the case. At the range, no pressure signs either at 63.0gr. Only found 1 node from 61.0-62.0gr @ 2990-3000fps. Could be another node higher up but didn't want to push it.

A) Do you hear or feel it crunch on seating?

B) Is it difficult to maintain a consistent seating depth?

C) Shaking and listening

D) A quick visual of the powder level. It might turn out to be obviously compressed just by looking.

QuickLoad can give you a good estimate on powder capacity for a particular OAL.

Honestly if it shoots and you have no concerning pressure signs then go for it. Be careful on large temperature swings and pay attention to possible pressure signs. I would say what you have now is a good node to be in. Pushing it harder is likely to be futile.

If you really want to know how compressed it is, post your case H2O capacity, bullet manufacturer/type/weight, OAL (can't use ogive measurement in QL, sorry) and the charge weight you are interested in. I'll run it through and let you know.

Whenever I am loading a charge that doesn't have specific reports of being compressed, I'll note how far up the powder sits in the case before I seat the bullet, then listen/feel for the crunch of the bullet pushing down on the powder as I seat them.

If you have low neck tension, the powder may also push the bullets back out as the rounds sit before firing.

Remember that you can use a longer drop tube to load the powder more uniformly and it can have the same charge without being compressed.

If you don't have a long drop tube, tapping the funnel with the scale pan a few times will help consolidate the power. You may want to choose a different seater die.

In the past I have not dealt with compressed loads so this is new to me. Is it as simple as shaking the loaded case and if you hear powder rattling inside then it is not compressed, if no powder movement inside then it is compressed?

I am loading a new to me cartridge, the 300wsm. I am seating the bullets with a Forster micrometer seating die and don't want to damage the stem. Components being used is new & fully prepped Winchester brass, RL16, Fed 215m primers & Federal Edge TLR 175gr bullets. At 63.0gr of powder there is no audible movement of the powder inside the case. At the range, no pressure signs either at 63.0gr. Only found 1 node from 61.0-62.0gr @ 2990-3000fps. Could be another node higher up but didn't want to push it.

Thanks for the above recommendations. I will get the H2O capacity this evening. I would be curious to see what QL produces.

Whenever I am loading a charge that doesn't have specific reports of being compressed, I'll note how far up the powder sits in the case before I seat the bullet, then listen/feel for the crunch of the bullet pushing down on the powder as I seat them.

If you have low neck tension, the powder may also push the bullets back out as the rounds sit before firing.

Remember that you can use a longer drop tube to load the powder more uniformly and it can have the same charge without being compressed.

What funnel would be recommended with a longer drop tube? I have the RCBS funnel but can not remember if it came with an extension.

If you don't have a long drop tube, tapping the funnel with the scale pan a few times will help consolidate the power. You may want to choose a different seater die.

I would rather not push it to the limits and stick with what I have but for future reference, what seater would be next in line for compressed loads?

Sorry, I can't say on seater. The only really compressed loads I recall loading were 223rem/varget/55gr NBT. They were seated with both lee and dillon seaters. No damage to either seater, but I doubt that's what you'd want to use for your wsm.

Do not use that seater to compress. I cracked two on lightly compressed loads seating 200g ELDX into 300WM cases.

Thanks for the above recommendations. I will get the H2O capacity this evening. I would be curious to see what QL produces.

What funnel would be recommended with a longer drop tube? I have the RCBS funnel but can not remember if it came with an extension.

I would rather not push it to the limits and stick with what I have but for future reference, what seater would be next in line for compressed loads?

The long drop tubes I've seen have all been home made - anywhere from a soda straw to custom machined:

ETA: Larry Potterfield knows more that I: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012691876

take a fired case dump powder in and drop a bullet in and measure add powder and measure again until the powder holds the bullet out to where your desired seating depth is that will get you pretty close to knowing where you start compressing at.

I don't think I can give you a definitive answer to your question. However, I have seen published load data showing 103% load density as a max....cannot remember the exact load. The point is there are loads out there that allow the reloader to pack in the powder. As for your situation, I would keep your loads and work up to them. Load some at the starting load data and look for pressure signs. This is a proven method to insure safety.

From the specs that I received: QuickLoad says that 63 grains of RL16 yields a 102.3 percent fill. Just slightly compressed. (A 100 percent fill is at 61.6 grains).

63g: Pressure is right around CIP max (63,817 psi) at your COAL/case capacity (take this with a grain of salt - could be roughly 7K+ higher if jamming into lands, etc. - plus temperature/lot variances).

1.jpg

Not bad. I'd run with it if you get acceptable performance out of it and it's a hot-weather load.

Many powder manufacturers publish the powder’s weight per cc or something like that. (Weight per specified volume.) Somehow measure volume of an empty case minus amount displaced by bullet seating at proper depth in grains H2O, convert that to cc’s then compare to how many grains per cc powder you pour in. But, ya, Quickload ;)

I’s say, “if you need to use a powder tube in order to be able to seat the bullet, it’s probably a compressed load!"