• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship How to train my left eye to stay open?

308skinner

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 23, 2006
    Indiana
    Ive been shooting for several years now. My only down fall is i have to keep my left eye shut. Ive been working on it but it goes alittle blurry after a second or two. How can i train it so i can keep it open? Any help with this?

Re: How to train my left eye to stay open?

You shouldn't multi post in different threads.

a little clear tape over the lens of your eye protection

I agree with The Mechanic, I have used a little scotch tape over shooting glasses since I was little. It helps to keep that eye from focusing and helps you retain that depth perception.

try squinting your left eye, so its just barely open , enough so you get your peripheral vison back ,at least enough to see large movements , from there just work on it , eventually you will be able to open your entire eye.

1. make a concious effort to keep it open
    2. focus more at the crosshairs rather than the target, (kind of like using the front sight of a pistol and making the target out of focus) until you get used to it, you'll slowly be able to be more natural both eyes open without the double image.
    3. shoot a whole lot of rimfire to get it down.

tape will do it, but what's the REAL difference between that and just keeping the eye closed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. make a concious effort to keep it open
    2. focus more at the crosshairs rather than the target, (kind of like using the front sight of a pistol and making the target out of focus) until you get used to it, you'll slowly be able to be more natural both eyes open without the double image.
    3. shoot a whole lot of rimfire to get it down.</div></div>

This is definitely the best info yet. I used my dry firing practice to train my brain and eyes. It was frustrating at first, but continue to focus as hard as you can through the scope, on the reticle, and the through the reticle on the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tape will do it, but what's the REAL difference between that and just keeping the eye closed? </div></div>

That was my first thought to. That will do nothing to train your eye. When you get into a situation without tape...its not gonna work. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Josh