• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft How to train my left eye to stay open?

308skinner

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 23, 2006
    Indiana
    Ive been shooting for several years now. My only down fall is i have to keep my left eye shut. Ive been working on it but it goes alittle blurry after a second or two. How can i train it so i can keep it open? Any help with this?

Re: How to train my left eye to stay open?

a little clear tape over the lens of your eye protection

You shouldn't multi post in different threads.

How would the clear tape over the eye piece help?

Ya i put it in the wrong thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would the clear tape over the eye piece help?

Ya i put it in the wrong thread.</div></div>

You naturally want to focus with your right eye (if right eye dominant) and some tend to shut the left eye to keep focus. Only problem is it causes strain on the opposite eye. The clear tape on your left side eye protection keeps the left eye from focusing and reduces tension on the right eye. You still need to be conscious of keeping the left eye open but it keeps good focus and will reduce strain. Lowlight also said he had some special glasses that did something similar although he did not explain what they were.

So i need to put the clear tape on the inside of the flip cap?

I have searched and can't seem to find a picture of shooting glasses with tape on the lens. I will keep looking

You find anything let me know. Ill look aswell.

Watch TopShot and Kelly (the kid) normally wears something to that effect. Take the tape and put it on the outside of your Oakleys, ESS, or what not glasses lenses. Or rotate your Butler Creek to were it "blocks" your field of view from your left eye and shoot with that for a while until your eye starts naturally staying open and not going fuzzy

Deadly i will give that a shot. Most the time Isaac shoots my rifle and he throws the rear cap off. Hes says it gets in his way. I may glue it on so he cant. LOL

Not clear tape, Frosted (<span style="font-style: italic">Magic</span>, etc.) Tape across the optical center of the safety glasses' non-aiming eye.

It removes the optical information without diminishing any of that eye's light input.

Closing the eye is not a hanging offense, but denying an even source of light from both eyes triggers the brain to open up the iris of the one which is still open. This diminishes the eye's ability to resolve smaller objects and image components.

The reflex is part of the brain's automatic response to low light situations, and natural instances where one eye's vision is blocked. A wider iris means more light enters the eye. More light means more data for the brain to process, and is a key function of the body's defensive reflexes.

Understand this, our eyes/brain were evolved to handle a wide range of situations, and rifle sights have not been around long enough for that medley to develop a successful evolutionary adaptation. That's part of the problem with modern life, its challenges can often exceed the capacities of our evolutionary toolkits. Good thing we can reason, too.

Greg

Thanks Greg I did mean the frosted just got a little off track trying to find a pick. I watched Top Shot last night (DVR'd it) and deadly had it right in regards to Kelly using the tape on his eye protection.

Gun of choice plus an aimpoint with the front cap closed.

practice using a reflex type sight, they are easier to train thy brain with in my opinion, shoot a little then switch guns, in no time you wont close your eyes even to sleep

just returned from the range where i ran 2-300 rounds from the 1911 doing tansitions where id fire a pair from my right hand and right eye then switch to left hand and left eye...the body will do what the mind trains it to.

Greg,

Your info makes a lot of sense - gives me more reason to learn the art of both eyes open shooting. Thanks.

using the frosted tape method for shooting rifle also helps for shooting pistol and red dots. Use it long enough and it creates muscle memory when presenting the firearm. Soon you will be shooting without the patched up glasses and shooting both eyes open.

I learned this info from the Marine Corps Pistol Team at Quantico.

The frosted tape also works well if you are going to be using a spotting scope for extended amounts of time.

Check trapshooting web sites, there are several products available that stick to the lense but are easily removable and do not leave a residue.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWOAF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just open your left eye </div></div>

+1 This actually worked really well for me. I just focused on keeping it open while dry firing and shooting for a few months and it did the trick.

I've used a rear flip-up scope cap to occlude my left eye, just put a piece of cardboard under the hinge so the cap sticks out, and rotate it to the right position.

I just did about an hour of dry-fire with scotch tape over the left eye lens on my shooting goggles...when I took the goggles off, my left eye stayed open and did not mess up my focus with the right. This technique works great! Wish I'da read this topic before I went to the range yesterday. My eyes were hurting after my shoot...couldn't focus with my left after a while and my vision in that eye was blurry post shooting when I reopened it.

Will have to remember this technique and add it to my training.

Good idea on the tape.I taught my eye to stay open looking through a spotting scope trying to find mule deer.
    With the tape I bet it would of happened sooner than it did.

Rethinking this, a bunch...

As much sense as my own post seems to make, I still have the natural tendency to aim with one eye closed.

My thinking keeps coming back to the primary maxim about "if something isn't natural, it's a distracton".

So I've been weighing the alternatives between aiming with one eye naturally, or forcing the body to adapt to what logic insists is a superior approach.

In the end, I've concluded that forcing this could be wrong.

We assess the success of training by determining how its effects have "taken" when stress and urgency preclude a conscious approach to aiming.

Invariably, I recognize after the fact that I'm doing it with one eye "in the field and on the bounce".

That sorta dictates that what I'm trying to do is unnatural; and that the time and effort I'm consuming are in fact being wasted, and could very likely be better employed elsewhere.

Greg

Guys, this isn't a "wright or wrong" thing.

If you watch my videos you will notice that most of the time I shoot with both eyes open. The core reason for this is that it reduces eye strain and helps keep me loose. As a side effect it opens up my situational awareness and lets me get on targets outside of my scope FOV rapidly.

However there are many situations where I will close my non-shooting eye. When I shoot support side, I will do it because I am right eye dominant and my right eye wants to overwhelm my sight picture. I will close my non-shooting eye when the ambient light is so bright that it is distracting and washes out my sight picture.

You can use tape over the lens of any other method you wish, but the only way to train is to do it. I don't so much subscribe to the tape over the lens, because it doesn't really train the brain to "tone down" the stimulus coming from the non-shooting eye. Sure it reduces eye strain, and this is why competition shooters do it. However it doesn't allow you to take full advantage of both eyes open.

I think you made good points for both sides. I dont know if its a waste of time to try something new if it improves a persons ability. Or maybe not even improve ability but makes shooting more comfortable. If it works great if not i agree dont force it.

Practice. That's what worked for me. Might have tried the tape if I knew about it. You don't need to be behind the sights at a range to practice. Hold a pencil in your left hand and match the tip up to a line on your computer display. Practice opening and closing your non-sighting eye until there's no difference and your sighting eye locks and stays locked on. Learn to ignore the double image. It'll go away when you're behind the sights.

You can then simulate the sight by forming a "tube" with your right hand and looking through that. Move it in and out until the double image goes away.

I keep coming back to this.

About the only way I can naturally manage to keep both eyes open is to actually be using both eyes for what I'm currently doing.

This works with reflex/dot sights just fine. I engage the target with both eyes, then bring the firearm up so the dot/reticle is on my POA.

But when irons or magnification are involved, the other eye has no work to do, so it naturally closes. Trying to change that is simply too much distraction to allow the main task, maintaining a sight picture, to proceed with reasonable success (for me, at least...).

Research shows that you can train our eyes to do just about anything, including reversal of eye dominance.

But the real question is why?

If you can hit the target, you're already where you want to be.

Trying to keep the eye open when it's unnatural, just because "we're supposed to", seems counterproductive to me.

Greg