• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship how to use formula

pat4668

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2009
iowa
i was wondering what is a good formula to help with how to use the mils in a scope, now i know this is a dumbass question but i am new to using mildot scopes and have always guessed where to shoot and then would adjust from there but i have a leupold mark 4 scope mildot 1/4 moa but cant seem to find a good formula to use to range out my targets then dope it out on the scope any help would be much appreciated, before i would just mark down in a data book where the hit was and adjust my scope from there but i want to advance and know how to range and dope out my target.

Re: how to use formula

ok thanks guys very much appreciated, now i have just one more question and it is that i do not know how but after i figure that dope out how do i use it to adjust the scope elevation and what about windage, i feel pretty stupid asking these questions cause i have been shooting a long time but instead of guessing and then shooting and then re adjusting the scope to where bullet impacts target i would like to be professional and know how

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pat4668</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was wondering what is a good formula to help with how to use the mils in a scope, now i know this is a dumbass question but i am new to using mildot scopes and have always guessed where to shoot and then would adjust from there but i have a leupold mark 4 scope mildot 1/4 moa but cant seem to find a good formula to use to range out my targets then dope it out on the scope any help would be much appreciated, before i would just mark down in a data book where the hit was and adjust my scope from there but i want to advance and know how to range and dope out my target. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question is not dumb.

What's dumb is that with 323 posts on this site, you didn't know enough to search the site for the answer.

Here you go:

http://www.excaliburenterprises.com/scopes/mil-dot.html

</div></div>

You sir have been served......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pat4668</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok thanks guys very much appreciated, now i have just one more question and it is that i do not know how but after i figure that dope out how do i use it to adjust the scope elevation and what about windage, i feel pretty stupid asking these questions cause i have been shooting a long time but instead of guessing and then shooting and then re adjusting the scope to where bullet impacts target i would like to be professional and know how </div></div>

First a few questions.

MIL or MOA (do the knobs match the reticle)

Type of Scope FFP or SFP

if FFP no difference. If SFP set it at the correct magnification

do you know the velocity of your bullet?

do you know what bullt you are using?

Canted base?

Height above bore?

JBM this will get you a start then you need to get DOPE (Data Obtained Prior Engagement)

ok thanks and im using a leupold mark4 scope 6.5-20x50mm lr-t 1/4 moa adjustments mildot reticle, black hills 168 match hpbt and black hills 175 match hpbt along with american ballistics 175 m118 long rang hpbt thats the ammo, base not canted, i dont have my ammo sitting in fornt of me but i do know the velocity of it.