• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How to use WOTAC EPB reticule?

FALbert

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
I recently purchased a LNIB WOTAC 4-14X50 GEN 4 variable MOA reticule with MOA turrets. Of course it came with no documentation and the website is vague. Wonder's website states the reticule is spaced at MOA and 1/2 MOA yet the reticule diagram is spaced at 2 MOA intervals. So which is it and at what power magnification? Is the MOA spacing at the "MOA" marking at 9X on the magnification ring? Is the 2 MOA spacing for 14X? What power does the 1/4" MOA adjustments track properly since this is not a FFP scope? Why the "MOA" at 9X and "MIL" at 10X?

It seems to be a nice scope for the money. Inquiring mind wants to know how to use this correctly.

Re: How to use WOTAC EPB reticule?

Double-check your reticle at a known (really known, like with a laser or a series of 50-foot tape measures or surveyor's tape if you're really old-school) 100 yards and a very, very steady rest.

KNOW the grid on your paper. Some on-line targets in various formats (including .pdf ones I've used) DON'T really have 1-inch spacing.

10 MOA will come to 10.47 inches at 100 yards. 11.5 inches will be 10.506 MOA. Mark that zoom for your true MOA point. WOTac fudged their documentation and emphasized the 9x as IPHY (IIRC, it's off by .0X or .00X inch, so WTFCares?) but didn't put the calculated true MOA zoom of 8.5959885.... or 8.6x into the documentation.

Until I traded "up" to a mil/mil FFP scope, I used the reticle in all three modes, and was even preparing to use it as a rough range estimator based on the minimum zoom having the small hash marks bracketing 4.5 inches at 100 yards (I think that's what it came to...). Not sure yet whether the mil/mil will do the trick for me, as I have a few decades of thinking in 1/4-minute clicks...

Either way, I really, really like being able to measure the distance from aiming point to actual group with the reticle. FFP is definitely better for that, or having the reticle accurate at maximum zoom if you *always* zero at max magnification.

call Matt at sightwonders. He will tell you everything you need to know since he makes them and is a great guy.

Pardon me for being a little dense. The MOA and MIL settings on the power ring are for ranging purposes.

I got to shoot the WOTAC yesterday on my SPR rifle. True MOA was about 9.5X on my scope to the best of my estimation at 100 yards. Didn't really test for where MIL actually is set to. That will be for the next range session. Held zero from 9.5X going to 14X so that is a good thing.

The SPR with WOA bead blasted stainless steel 18" midlength, 1X7 twist, and Wylde chamber. Needs it's own bipod, currently sharing with a 6.8 SPC SPR.
SPRWOTAC.jpg

Sighting in ammo was Hornady 75 Gr. BTHP at 9.5X, 100 yards.
SPRWOA1X7100yd.jpg

Blasting ammo was Canadian C77 ball at 14X, 200 yards. Paced rapid fire, every three seconds.
SPRWOA1X7200yd.jpg