• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How would you develop a load for two rifles?

scott123456789

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
Weatherford, TX
I'm shooting a LTR .308 and my dad is shooting a model 11 sporter weight savage. How would you go about testing/developing a load that worked or just say forget it and buy a second set of dies and start from scratch with the second rifle.

Re: How would you develop a load for two rifles?

What are you wanting the rifles to do? Precision Target at long distance? Plinking?

If it is just plinking around you can work up a generic load that works in both. But if you are looking for precision stuff then ya you would have to work up too loads. But I don't think you would need two sets of dies. Unless you don't want to have to switch back and forth.

Cheers

My dads is soley for hunting, mine is hunting + medium range target work until hunting season.

I would just do independent load testing staying inside the parameters of both rifles. Such as longest OAL that will fit in both.

You're bound to find something that is a happy medium between all out custom and load book generic.

What are the accuracy requirements for your Dad's rifle? If you can find a load that is tailored to your rifle and is acceptable in his rifle I would do that. I see you are in TX so maybe that won't work for the long shots out there.

Hes getting 1.5" or so out of factory loads so was hoping to beat that. He would probably only be looking to shoot 200 where I'm going to take my rifle out a bunch further.

Unless you want to win at benchrest you should be able to find a single generic load that shoots well in both. The practical long range game generally doesn't require better than MOA performance and you will probably beat that easily enough. It's the final few tenth's that are the buggers.

I would go through the standard load development process for both rifles. I use OCW as my basic load development regimen.

I would not be surprised if both rifles ended up liking a load that was very close to the other rifles preference. And if so, then I would find th middle ground where both rifles were happy.

Probably going to HAVE to avoid the bullet seating experiments and just go with magazine/SAAMI lengths.

43.0gr Varget with 175SMK loaded 2.800", Winchester brass.

That load seems to shoot pretty well in every rifle.

You won't gain a thing by using additional die sets to load for any number of rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You won't gain a thing by using additional die sets to load for any number of rifles. </div></div>

how would dialing in seating depth to the rifle not perform a bit better?

That question has nothing to do with separate dies. You can readjust seating depth on the same die for different rifles. BB

edit: besides that, there is an endless variety of different powders and bullets for two separate rifles without worrying about seating depth.

But, I have two rifles chambered in 6MM Remington. My rule to keep things simplified is to use different cases, different primers, (Remington and Fed) because you can see the color difference, and hollow points in one and spitzers in the other. I think seating depth, as a visual is hard to determine, at a glance, but hollow points and spitzers are easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That question has nothing to do with separate dies. You can readjust seating depth on the same die for different rifles. BB </div></div>

Yeah but if you get it perfect then its worth $20 for a seating die not to have to re-adjust and dial in between loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you want to win at benchrest you should be able to find a single generic load that shoots well in both. The practical long range game generally doesn't require better than MOA performance and you will probably beat that easily enough. It's the final few tenth's that are the buggers. </div></div>

Well said X2

It's your money. Why not buy a second set of calipers locked to two different seating depths, while you are at it? BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">43.0gr Varget with 175SMK loaded 2.800", Winchester brass.

That load seems to shoot pretty well in every rifle.
</div></div>

That's funny, I came up with that load for a SPS using BH(W) and it's been a .3-.7 shooter for 4 others. Not real fast, but it shoots.

If you were going to run into a problem it will be with the factory headspace of each rifle not relating to the other.

You will want to take fired and unsized cases from each rifle and try them chambering them in the other. If the brass goes in smoothly both ways (without creating difficult bolt lockup) you are good. If bolt lockup is tight in only one rifle and you set the headspace for that rifle the case will be loose on the other rifle.

<span style="font-style: italic">"Yeah but if you get it perfect then its worth $20 for a seating die not to have to re-adjust and dial in between loads."</span>

I don't quite know what you mean by "perfect" because neither sizing nor seating permits 'setting and forgetting' dies for eternal perfection as the cases age and work harden or when we get new ones. Dies are only a bit more mechanically complex than a screw driver but if anyone finds adjusting them to be difficult or time consuming perhaps he does need extra sets.

Most experienced reloaders can 'perfectly' reset dies in a couple of minutes so we don't find it to be a big deal; it's certainly not $20 worth of trouble!

I maintain separate die sets for each rifle I handload for.

The Dillon RL550B press uses interchangeabkle toolheads which allow die sets to be adjusted once, and then swapped back in and out afterward without a need to set the dies back up each time I change calibers. My time is worth more that the $30-ish dollars a second RCBS 2-die set costs. This way, at least that much of my load recipe can be trusted from batch to batch.

As it happens, I do neck tension testing on each batch I load, so there is some verification taking place every time. Knowing that each dimension adjustment starts from a common point is a time saver and confidence aid, well worth the price of another set of dies. Cheap at twice the price, I'd say.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I maintain separate die sets for each rifle I handload for.</div></div>

Yes, and so do I. However, I only own one 223 and one 308.

But, this original question concerns two people and two different rifles and an attempt to simplify reloading for both when the application is entirely different; targets and hunting.

Greg (here) is off on a tangent that bears little resemblance to the described situation, and must know it? BB

Well, a single micrometer seater is the way to go because you can change easily and repeatably for different bullets in the same rifle or loads between rifles. They are much easier to use to produce precision ammo in load workups anyway. If neither weapon has a custom chamber a single resize die, set to bump the shoulder a couple thousandths, should allow the brass to chamber in each rifle.

Barring that, shoot tangent ogive bullets as they are less sensitive to seating depth, ie the Nosler Accubond and the Sierra smk, and load all the ammo the same for each rifle, using the powder charge to tune a single load that produces acceptable accuracy for each rifle. If this approach doesn't yield the accuracy you need in one of the rifles you will have no choice but to load for each separately. There is rarely a free lunch if you are demanding top notch precision.

Redding micrometer seater die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, a single micrometer seater is the way to go because you can change easily and repeatably for different bullets in the same rifle or loads between rifles. They are much easier to use to produce precision ammo in load workups anyway. If neither weapon has a custom chamber a single resize die, set to bump the shoulder a couple thousandths, should allow the brass to chamber in each rifle.

Barring that, shoot tangent ogive bullets as they are less sensitive to seating depth, ie the Nosler Accubond and the Sierra smk, and load all the ammo the same for each rifle, using the powder charge to tune a single load that produces acceptable accuracy for each rifle. If this approach doesn't yield the accuracy you need in one of the rifles you will have no choice but to load for each separately. There is rarely a free lunch if you are demanding top notch precision.

</div></div>

Good advise!

I would do different developements for both rifles. But then again I like reloading.

When handloads need to be compatable with more than one rifle, I use the Digital Headspace Gauge to examine both rifle chambers. Then I load for the rifle with the shortest chamber. It just takes a few seconds to set your die height.