• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How would you set up a rig, cheap?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
TL;DR: If you had to set up an economy rig, to shoot a class or a PRS match but without the expectation on being in the winners circle, what would you do?

The long story:

I noticed that the sniper unknown match was close by my in-laws and as I was talking about the match with my wife, she said that she would like to do a PRS event with me. The problem is I only have one precision rig which is my 6mmBR. My wife and I each run howa mini actions for our deer rifles, but they wear stock barrels and hers is a sporter contour. Not something that I would want to run hard.

This got me thinking. What if I were to set up two economy rifles, that were identical so that I didn't have to bring different ammo, mags etc... she is a newish shooter so I'm not going to be competitive, I just want to have fun spending time with my best friend.

My first thought was to snag a pair of Ruger PRs in 6.5 creedmore, slap a gen 1 vortex PST on each and call it good. Honestly, this seems like the smart choice but I'm not a fan of chassis systems and I started to wonder if there was something that I could set up for similar cost with a more tradition stock (all my rifles wear mcmillian A3 style stocks). As an added bonus, I would be able to rebarrel myself which is a huge plus, as we are trying to start a family and any maintenance that I can do myself the better.

Could a Savage or even a remington 700 wit a remage barrel nut be set up for a similar cost to the ruger? I have been so happy with the rifles that I have that I haven't priced out rifle parts in years.

You don’t say what your current match rifle is other than the caliber.

The question I have is, if you have other rifles already wearing McMillan stocks, why not just drop a remage barreled 6br in one of those. A barrel led action is easily swapped out for another use.

Just an idea, based on a number of assumptions. Something to think about anyway.

If I wanted to spend around a grand each on two identical rifles for a match, and have a high confidence that they would be good shooters, I would buy two Tikka T3X CTRs. Just mount scopes and go. The 6.5 Creedmoors have slowish barrels, but they tend to be extremely accurate with factory Hornady ammo. The stocks are usable and can easily be upgraded if you want. To me, that would be pressing the easy button.

El Cheapo.
Something like this but possibly With a Tikka action Or budget action.
This rifle shoots awesome but it’s obviously a savage.
Shilen prefit

That ancient scope actually does really well and has a good reticle.

C5ADC894-25C9-4D06-A3F2-B5497A7AD8DF.jpeg

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
A new Remington 700adl varmint in 6.5cm for about $450. A new krg bravo will cost about $350. Athlon Midas TAC for about $750 new. You’ll have about $1600 if you don’t have or can’t find any used stuff in time. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you and yours at the match👍

Howa Oryx chassis in 6.5 creedmoor with Burris XTR-2 scopes. You’re already familiar with the Howa. The XTR2 is a reliable tracking scope. I wouldn’t do a PST gen 1 for reliability concerns.

Thank you guys for the ideas, that is exactly the kind of help I was looking for.

And in response to the question of what I am using, I have been using a winchester M70 for quite a long time. It used to be a 243 until I shot it out pretty bad during a course, then switched it to 6BR. Unfortunately life got in the way and I've only put a few hundred rounds through it in over two years. Most of my shooting these days is just my howa 6.5 grendel. But if the wife is serious about wanting to get more into then I will build her rifle first while I shoot mine, then sell a few pistols to fund one to match hers.

Edit: I dug up a picture of my rifles

quiLONN.jpg

Howa 1500 6mm CM 26" - $439.99 On Sale at Brownells right now
KRG Bravo - $439 (Got mine as a Blem for $340, KRG has sales occasionally)
Nightforce 20moa rail - $57 on Amazon
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 seems like a good budget option, but I’m sure there are others.

I put an LRTSi 3-12x44 on mine, but I’m not shooting PRS.

Attachments

• FF6068A4-F438-4E2C-8D71-1C036487AEAB.jpeg
    FF6068A4-F438-4E2C-8D71-1C036487AEAB.jpeg
    715.2 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: MRiles
Another vote for a Tikka T3x CTR. You can find a new one for ~$820 or less. Down the road, it goes nicely in a McMillan stock.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Something to consider down the road as you try to keep things “in house” - shouldered prefits. Obviously, lots of folks running barrel nuts (myself included), just another option for spinning it on at home. It might be worth a few extra bucks up front to afford yourself the option of rebarrelling w/o the services of a smith. My M70 is in the shop at present for this reason - 11 jobs ahead of it, 5 with parts O/H. That damn extractor cut...

If your considering a tikka for its barreled action and slapping it in a KRG bravo then you should look at the next step up to a defacto barreled action that comes with a trigger tech. Then you can get your wife the standard tikka and I'm sure both of you would be happy.

Also keep an eye on the PX for optics.

Tikka or Rem700 in a KRG Bravo. Tikka is another with a nicer trigger if you don't plan on upgrading anything. The 700 is more upgradeable.

Aside from the other options already listed, I would possibly add the Ruger American Hunter.

ruger-american-hunter-matte-black-bolt-action-rifle-308-winchester-1540166-3.jpg

I think you can grab em close to $600. When I think "cheap" this is what comes to mind.

Apparently comes with the thickest barrel for the American line, aluminum "bedding" block, uses AICS (Magpul ones real cheap), comes with muzzle break, and pic rail (not sure how good, but still would save money over two rifles for sure) and has the minimal ergonomic adjustments (LOP, cheek riser) but those are sold separately.

If I were tasked to "set up a rig, cheap" I would probably give this a try.

You could throw together a 700 with a Remage barrel from parts out of the px for CHEAP.

Thank you guys for the ideas, that is exactly the kind of help I was looking for.

And in response to the question of what I am using, I have been using a winchester M70 for quite a long time. It used to be a 243 until I shot it out pretty bad during a course, then switched it to 6BR. Unfortunately life got in the way and I've only put a few hundred rounds through it in over two years. Most of my shooting these days is just my howa 6.5 grendel. But if the wife is serious about wanting to get more into then I will build her rifle first while I shoot mine, then sell a few pistols to fund one to match hers.

Edit: I dug up a picture of my rifles

quiLONN.jpg

What stock is on the m70?

Why not just take those 2 rifles to the comp. You already said that being competitive is not a concern. Neither the 6.5 G nor the 6BR are slouches. Build the rifles after she has shot a comp, and is actually interested.

What's your budget for your "economy rig"? Start with a $ figure and work backwards. This would be my order - Glass, rifle, scope mounting hardware, chassis (if necessary), add-ons. You can find some really good deals in PX!

Why not just take those 2 rifles to the comp. You already said that being competitive is not a concern. Neither the 6.5 G nor the 6BR are slouches. Build the rifles after she has shot a comp, and is actually interested.

^^^^ This.

make sure she enjoys the first one before dumping the $ in it. Setup your good rifle for her the best you can and you run the other. If she had a good rifle and hits targets she'll enjoy it more, not to mention the BR recoil vs the 6.5.

Yeah, most wifey's aren't going to get into PRS or shooting that much. I taught my wife to shoot and eventually she won a couple of our Field Target air rifle matches, beating a national champ in our club and 3-4 previous state champs, but she has no passion for shooting, she just wants to be with me. Also we're selling her $2200 air rifle because she has lost interest in shooting FT. She'd rather relax in the camping trailer and cook, talk to the other girls, and do girl stuff.

Use what you have now and just go have fun trying out that match. As interest, time, money, etc - allows, build your idea of the perfect rifle.

Reactions: Jackomason
Another vote for a Tikka T3x CTR. You can find a new one for ~$820 or less. Down the road, it goes nicely in a McMillan stock.

Another vote here for the ctr, and there's lots of option for chassis and stocks. I like the Athlon scopes, they track well and I like the reticles.

In another topic about inexpensive Chassis starter rifles, I suggested this one. It attracted a surprising amount of interest in that topic.

For simplicity, I also suggest this scope. Used in conjunction with an LRF of at least 600yd ranging capacity, it speeds and simplifies aiming solutions without needing any knob adjustments beyond the side parallax/focus. For beyond 600yd, some elevation adjustment becomes necessary.

I have one on my 260.

The M-Lok forend may accept this bipod.

Greg

Last edited:
I'd do a Tikka T3x Tac A1 in 6.5cm (or CTR + Bravo + extra mags + a brake--cost is about the same either way) + 20moa rail + used vortex razor HD II. Should work out to sub $4k all in and be quite accurate and competitive. This was my plan until I talked myself into an AX and ZCO....

I'd do a Tikka T3x Tac A1 in 6.5cm (or CTR + Bravo + extra mags + a brake--cost is about the same either way) + 20moa rail + used vortex razor HD II. Should work out to sub $4k all in and be quite accurate and competitive. This was my plan until I talked myself into an AX and ZCO....
Your 3 mils high and 2.5 left.

This would be an excellent idea...until the wife found out about it!! LOL :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: BikePilot
If you want super cheap, I use a Savage FCPSR (now tactical) in 6.5 creed and it has treated me well so far. I used it with a SWFA 3-15 SFP for about 6-7 local matches. It has always shot sub-moa, and I only occasionally have extraction problems. Definitely tough to beat for a $5-600 gun.

Reactions: Baddog 0302
Remington Model 700 is my go to. I got one last year in 6.5 Creedmoor, put a Leupold 5x15 on it for about $1400. That is a shooter

I’d go with a pair of RPR in 6.5 Creed. Put your scope on yours and buy her a Vortex Razor or Leupold. She will have a rig that she can “custom” fit to herself and anyone at the match will be familiar enough with all that to help her. I have done matches trying to “babysit” someone who was an experienced shooter. Former DM for his PD. He had never shot a match though. Happened to be my brother. I advise against it. Your gonna get balled up trying to help her and get yourself ready. It’s nice if others who shot the stage already can lend a hand. A basic familiar rig (the RPR) will help with that. If it turns out she doesn’t like it, they are easy to flip. Very accurate factory ammo is easy to come by. It will save you lots of headache putting something together. The time you save can be spent at the range letting her get used to it. In 2018 I shot the NE PRS with a .308. Class winner was a Ruger employee shooting a stock RPR. Just throwing that out there as evidence that the rifle itself is capable.

I wouldn't. It's like shopping ppe or condoms based on lowest price. This game is more expensive than the cost of the tools and if you can't afford to do it right, pick a new hobby or get a new job. Too much cheap junk out there ends up costing you more money in the long run. Do it right or don't do it at all

• Angry
Reactions: Hennig and Anb618
I wouldn't. It's like shopping ppe or condoms based on lowest price. This game is more expensive than the cost of the tools and if you can't afford to do it right, pick a new hobby or get a new job. Too much cheap junk out there ends up costing you more money in the long run. Do it right or don't do it at all
Bullshit.
You don't have to spend 2500 on a rifle to have fun and be competitive.
The RPR, Howa Bravo, Tikka CTR etc... are all very good rifles that one can enjoy shooting and be competitive with.

Bullshit.
You don't have to spend 2500 on a rifle to have fun and be competitive.
The RPR, Howa Bravo, Tikka CTR etc... are all very good rifles that one can enjoy shooting and be competitive with.

Agreed. I interpreted that what the OP meant by “cheap” is “inexpensive and still useable”. That is possible. I didn’t take what he was looking for to even be competitive, but adequate to do the job and have fun. At least for now.

PRS Match.. So add spotter/binos , LRF, Kestral, Tripod, Bags, ammo , travel, range fees, reloading if you go that route ,ect. Shoot out a few barrels.

The gun and scope is cheap in the scheme of things.

And then when your cheap shit fails, or runs like dogshit and you try to sell it down the road for less than half you paid for, you can can either exit the game or buy the right shit you shoulda bought at the beginning.

Would be cheaper to take a stack of 100's, light on fire and pick up a new hobby.

TL;DR: If you had to set up an economy rig, to shoot a class or a PRS match but without the expectation on being in the winners circle, what would you do?

The long story:

I noticed that the sniper unknown match was close by my in-laws and as I was talking about the match with my wife, she said that she would like to do a PRS event with me. The problem is I only have one precision rig which is my 6mmBR. My wife and I each run howa mini actions for our deer rifles, but they wear stock barrels and hers is a sporter contour. Not something that I would want to run hard.

This got me thinking. What if I were to set up two economy rifles, that were identical so that I didn't have to bring different ammo, mags etc... she is a newish shooter so I'm not going to be competitive, I just want to have fun spending time with my best friend.

My first thought was to snag a pair of Ruger PRs in 6.5 creedmore, slap a gen 1 vortex PST on each and call it good. Honestly, this seems like the smart choice but I'm not a fan of chassis systems and I started to wonder if there was something that I could set up for similar cost with a more tradition stock (all my rifles wear mcmillian A3 style stocks). As an added bonus, I would be able to rebarrel myself which is a huge plus, as we are trying to start a family and any maintenance that I can do myself the better.

Could a Savage or even a remington 700 wit a remage barrel nut be set up for a similar cost to the ruger? I have been so happy with the rifles that I have that I haven't priced out rifle parts in years.

C&F, where in the post did he ask for help justifying shooting as a hobby or going to matches in general on the cheap?

Reactions: Jack Master
PRS Match.. So add spotter/binos , LRF, Kestral, Tripod, Bags, ammo , travel, range fees, reloading if you go that route ,ect. Shoot out a few barrels.

The gun and scope is cheap in the scheme of things.

And then when your cheap shit fails, or runs like dogshit and you try to sell it down the road for less than half you paid for, you can can either exit the game or buy the right shit you shoulda bought at the beginning.

Would be cheaper to take a stack of 100's, light on fire and pick up a new hobby.
Apparently your cognitive skills are not functioning correctly.
He is going to shoot LOCAL matches.
How do you know he doesn't already have the accessories?
He likely has a rangefinder as he currently has a rig. He likely has Bino's, since he compete's and both he and his wife hunt.
Don't really need a spotter,as they are impossible to use while you're shooting.
He wants to have two rifles in the same chambering to make ammo easier.
For God's sake, he just wants to go to matches with his wife.

Last edited:
I’d go with a pair of RPR in 6.5 Creed. Put your scope on yours and buy her a Vortex Razor or Leupold. She will have a rig that she can “custom” fit to herself and anyone at the match will be familiar enough with all that to help her. I have done matches trying to “babysit” someone who was an experienced shooter. Former DM for his PD. He had never shot a match though. Happened to be my brother. I advise against it. Your gonna get balled up trying to help her and get yourself ready. It’s nice if others who shot the stage already can lend a hand. A basic familiar rig (the RPR) will help with that. If it turns out she doesn’t like it, they are easy to flip. Very accurate factory ammo is easy to come by. It will save you lots of headache putting something together. The time you save can be spent at the range letting her get used to it. In 2018 I shot the NE PRS with a .308. Class winner was a Ruger employee shooting a stock RPR. Just throwing that out there as evidence that the rifle itself is capable.
I use an RPR, I like it VERY much, but they are heavy pigs.

Get real. For what he wants to do, he hardly needs spotter/binos, LRF, Kestral, tripod, travel and reloading (unless he wants or already does). That leaves a bag (or two), ammo and range fees. Since he already shoots, I expect that he already has those.

If he can’t make a friend on his squad to help with wind reads, there are inexpensive wind meters that can be used. I’ve seen the occasional serious PRS competitor use them for a whole season when they weren’t concerned about looking like one of the cool kids, never mind looking like the gear snobs.

Plus, it sounds like he already has an idea what he’s getting into. For his needs, I’ve seen many a casual match competitor go a season or two with RPRs, Bergeras and Tikkas and have a great time.

Reactions: Steel head
I just got off the bathroom scale with my RPR. With a Vortex Razor 5-20 scope, a Maggpul PRS stock, and a harris bipod it weighs in at 15 lbs. Pretty damned svelte by PRS standards where guys are running 20+ lb rifles. Not something I want to tote around the mountains for a week, but not totally ungainly...

That’s true enough, but the current PRS trend is stages geared towards heavy rifles with brakes and less recoil. 6mm BR based cartridges in 25-28 pound rifles. Have you seen the popularity of weight systems for chassis and now even Manners stocks?

I used to think that my 26” M24 in an older T4A with 9” can in .260 was heavy at about 20-ish pounds. Then I hefted a friend’s rifle who competes pretty heavily in PRS. It’s a 27” full cylinder in a fully weighted MPA chassis with LB brake in 6mm BR. At 28 pounds, THAT’s a pig. But shooting those mouse farts with it results in virtually no felt recoil.

Get real. For what he wants to do, he hardly needs spotter/binos, LRF, Kestral, tripod, travel and reloading (unless he wants or already does). That leaves a bag (or two), ammo and range fees. Since he already shoots, I expect that he already has those.

If he can’t make a friend on his squad to help with wind reads, there are inexpensive wind meters that can be used. I’ve seen the occasional serious PRS competitor use them for a whole season when they weren’t concerned about looking like one of the cool kids, never mind looking like the gear snobs.

Plus, it sounds like he already has an idea what he’s getting into. For his needs, I’ve seen many a casual match competitor go a season or two with RPRs, Bergeras and Tikkas and have a great time.
No to mention that if you can wrench on an AR15, you can wrench on an RPR. And, LRI has Bartlein prefit barrels for the RPR. Timney makes a pretty damned good trigger for it. Like someone said above, C&F likes to rain on everyone's parade. That said, this is an expensive hobby. My suggestion of shooting a comp THEN buy a rifle still stands.

Reactions: lash
Ok, here’s alternative. You have a Win M70. Why not buy another Win/Kimber/FN-SPR and the get matching barrels for both? Buy an SWFA 3-15x42 and your done.

I bought an FN SPR A1 and a SWFA 3-15. Walk out price new was $1600. And you said you like McMillan stocks, so the worst thing that could happen is you end up with another good M70.

Matching scopes and calibers, you could share DOPE and practice together. Just a thought.