• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing How young is too young to take your kids hunting?

Re: How young is too young to take your kids hunting?

My kids started coming on short trips into the stand when they were about 4. At 7 my son started coming on the longer moose and elk hunts and shooting grouse with the .410 along
the way. This season at 12yrs old he is allowed to hunt big game up here in Alberta. So he will be packing his .260 this fall.

All kids are different, but the big thing to remember is when they are out there with you the hunt has to be about them. You can`t be running the ridges and dragging a 7 year old along and be dissappointed when they can`t keep up. There were a couple times that I may have pushed my son a little too hard knowing that the moose/elk we were onto was just a little further. It usually resulted in a hike out with an extra 50lb load on my back.

my dad started me out shooting squirrels when i was 8 and then my uncle took me out when i was 13. wasn't really an age thing, more the fact that i wasnt big enough to haul a rifle through the woods. im 5'2" by the way and about 120lbs. was even smaller then.

I was hunting by the time I was 5 or so... squirrels and rabbits... w/ a 22 and 410.. and in the deer woods and on bird hunts just to learn

I was going well before I was able to walk. I've been hooked ever since. In fact I was young enough that dad accidentally sent a couple pieces of hot brass into my car seat while shooting at coyotes. When I have kids they will also join me at a young age, if they decide it's not for them later on that's their choice.

Too young? While they are still nursing may be too young. Other than that...I think you just have to be prepared to tailor the hunt to the child's needs, but even toddlers can benefit from going along on easy hunts. Don't expect too much of them and make the hunt about them; not just your success, and things will go fine. Keep it interesting and comfortable and they will soon be hooked.

My son harvested his first deer at 8 years old with a 300wsm. He had shot it a lot before we went hunting. It all depends on the child.

Obviously this is a purely opinion post and should be taken that way

Odds are that kid that took a deer at 6 was not unassisted. That being said, if your kid is up for it, I would say start taking him to the camp to see how he handles being around the dead deer being skinned/dressed.

That's the deal with my boys. When they are ok with staying out there and watching a deer be skinned and cut up, then I personally think they are ready for the next step. Y

Most kids just want to "be" with dad. So it is natural for them to want to go hunting with you even if they are not mentally ready to kill a deer. There is no need to rush them. You have a lifetime to spend with your children. Take them hunting with you into the woods, teach them all of the other things that go along with hunting (stalking, being quiet in the stand, looking for deer sign, etc) before the last step which is the actual kill. The more they learn about it the better hunters they will be in the end.

My daughters went out with me by the age of 4-5 to watch. My oldest got her first deer at 10. The age to actually hunt depends on the ability/maturity of the child.

MFH

Scouting trips are a good way to break them in. The weather's warmer and there's no major seance of urgency. They're already out of school and you can evaluate how they're doing and how to keep things interesting without a 20 mile forced march. I wouldn't take them on a real hunt until they're old enough to have a license. By that time you will know if they are into it or if your pushing them into something they don't care about.

You can ruin a horse by starting it to early.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on the kid.

Do you think they're ready?
If you think there is any chance they could point a loaded firearm in the wrong direction, or there is any chance they could flat out ignore/disobey your instructions, then they're too young.
</div></div>

i agree. That is why i started my son so young with the safety rules. I don't want him to fear firearms but i want him to respect them. Some of his first words were rifle, bolt, trigger, action. He has seen what happens to deer when daddy points the rifle at them and pulls the trigger. He knows not even to point his toy rifles at people. I figured if i get him started early enough, when its time for him to pull the trigger, the rules will be second nature by then. Growing up i was taught to fear guns by my Mom, i want my son to respect them as dangerous but still enjoy them.

Here is a picture of him at not even 2 years old with my rifle. He never touches it without asking permission or being supervised. The rifle in the picture has been cleared by me, the muzzle is in a safe direction. We have a rule of absolutely no loaded rounds chambered in the house ever!

IMAG0019.jpg

Well, we are getting ready for youth day in VA (Sept 29th). Little one is handling dads SPS .308 with Managed Recoil, Harris Bipod with Axiomm U/L Stock. (It adjusts to fit her...)

After shooting the .243 Rossi Youth model, and ,that jar her head back a few times.. I said you are ready for a better shooting gun.

This year, we have is planned for Pulaski county, sneak in at 4:30; Ghillie up, and wait... if no deer, I will just work the Forest down to the field for something. She's got a good eye and I think her chances are good.

my son is 7 now. I take him hiking, camping and fishing all the time. as for hunting I think that is a new animal. the introduction of firearms changes the game for me. I have not taken him hunting yet and will likely hold off another year or so.
To be clear, it is not the firearms in my camp i am most concerned about.
I imagine it will be the same when it time for him to drive. I will take him out, teach him laws, saftey, and common knowledge. But when he hits the road alone, i will worry about the other idiots i see everyday.

I guess it really depends upon the kid and what you are hunting. Some states don't allow hunting before age 10. With my kid it was really a series of incremental test of responsibility. Obviously there is the ability to shoot an appropriate caliber accurately. Gun safety, field crafts, etc.

Set goals and takes classes.