• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 .308 Bad engraving on bolt handle!!!!!

brooTool

Zor
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2014
Hesperia, CA
I just brought home my first Howa! So far I like it. I cleaned the action, bore, etc. and continued on with bedding my scope base. As I finished I was board and was looking at my bolt assembly, I noticed there were POORLY engraved numbers (like scratched in) and bad machining on the underside of the bolt handle. I'm confused! I have never seen anything like this on any NEW firearm! I did manage to find another Howa 1500 bolt picture with similar engraving in the same exact spot. I was very mad at first because I thought I was sold a used gun, but before I go ape shit on them, I decided I would look around on the forums. Here is the picture of the similar bolt I found on the internet.

http://hollywoodmoviecostumes.com/ebayh/howa1500.jpg

Help me out guys! :)

Thanks!

Bought my 1500 Varmint Bbl .308 a couple of months ago. Can't answer as to the machining issue you mention, but mine also has a 3 digit number etched in the way you described. I first noticed it when I sent my bolt to Short Action Customs for Mark's tac bolt upgrade. I'm not worried about it, I think it's the norm for this rifle.

Its the last three digits of the serial number of the rifle. Probably used to keep bolts and receivers together during the manufacturing process.
It doesn't bother me since its on the underside of the bolt handle and you'll never really see it without actually looking for it.

I think you're screwed for lack of a better term.

1. You didn't look it over (thoroughly enough) prior to purchasing it. You did agree to purchase it, so if there is some sort of return policy you can use at the store you got it from or if Howa "fixes" this for you, it's because their CS policy is UH MAZE ING, not because they "Should".

2. If you call and "go ape shit" on them over a common, standard practice, they will probably do something to the extent of saying "That's what we do, sorry" and that's about all that will ever happen.

Not trying to bust your balls, just don't think you'll have much luck.

Its the last three digits of the serial number of the rifle. Probably used to keep bolts and receivers together during the manufacturing process.
It doesn't bother me since its on the underside of the bolt handle and you'll never really see it without actually looking for it.

Remington & Winchester both used to ( and may still ) engrave part of the serial # on the underside of the bolt. Don't know if they still do since the Freedom Group took over. Nothing more than parts management.

Doesn't really bother me. I have 2 and I had Mark at SAC put bolt handles on both ofa them nd then later got them cerakoted. Can't even see it anymore.