• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Howa 1500 before and after

proneshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
Before
Howa 1500 heavy barreled action in .308 Winchester. Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. 9-13" Harris bipod with standard feet. Bushnell 10X40 mildot scope with MOA adjustments.
DSC01134.jpg

After
Howa 1500 heavy barreled action in .308 Winchester. Manners MCS-T stock in Coyote Brown. 6-9" Harris bipod with claw feet. Weaver 3-10X40 mildot scope with milliradian adjustments. Custom glass and pillar bedded and duracoated by Scott Keller Gunsmithing.
howa1500brown.jpg

No range report yet because I am on crutches from a serious fall from horseback.

Re: Howa 1500 before and after

i wish you a speedy recovery.

in the mean time, do you want me to break it in for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wish you a speedy recovery.

in the mean time, do you want me to break it in for you? </div></div>
Thanks, but looking at it is motivation to get over my sprained hip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRENCHHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking good, but camo on the stock would be good </div></div>
I thought about ordering it in GAP 3 color camo but changed my mind. So I saved $95 and now I can add some camo of my own. Three cans of camo Krylon (tan/brown/OD) await in the garage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That tan and brown looks good. I dig it
cool.gif
</div></div>
Since I ordered the paint before the stock was in hand I did the best I could with the color swatches from both vendors' websites.

In the end I do agree with you that the two tone effect is cool. The metal work looks lighter than it really is due to the flash from the camera.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Micah Hughes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where did you get the claws from? i like them </div></div>
Phoenix Tactical

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proneshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRENCHHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking good, but camo on the stock would be good </div></div>
I thought about ordering it in GAP 3 color camo but changed my mind. So I saved $95 and now I can add some camo of my own. Three cans of camo Krylon (tan/brown/OD) await in the garage. </div></div>

nice!! i like how you think

Nice rig. Its hard to go wrong with a Manners stock.

Looks like you should be able to sale a few of the components also and make a few bucks back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did it shoot before you did all the work </div></div>

DSC01142.jpg

Even with that, I could tell the receiver was being stressed by the uneven contact with the bedding block in the B&C stock. The new stock is carefully epoxy and pillar bedded by someone who knows what he is doing.

I also get a much better head position with the Manners and I am hoping the lower bipod with claws will help with the bipod hop issues I have had. Yeah I know, bipod hop comes from not being behind the rifle and I am working on that too.

I'm a long time NRA sling prone shooter who's now dabbling in scoped bipod rifles.