• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 or Stevens 200 action for a budget build

xxxMadams1371xxx

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2011
Hey guys I am new here and am wanting a little project for this winter and spring. I want to do as much on my own as possible. I am looking at building a 6.5 x 47 Laupua. I plan on putting this on a B&C tactical stock. I am also looking at using a prefit barrel. With this in mind which would be the better action to build on? Any information would be great. I do appreciate any and all opinions.

Thanks
Matt

Re: Howa 1500 or Stevens 200 action for a budget build

I haven't seen much stuff available for a Howa as I have Savage/Stevens when you speak in terms of DIY. Savages are pretty easy to assemble yourself and a lot easier to find parts for compared to the Howa. I'm probably biased in some degree but I honestly haven't seen much Howa stuff unless there is a site for them tha I just haven't seen.

If you want a complete diy build go with the Savage. You will have to invest in some tools but there is no machining involved like there would be with a Howa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predatornut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a complete diy build go with the Savage. You will have to invest in some tools but there is no machining involved like there would be with a Howa. </div></div> why would there be more machining with a Howa vs a Savage?

You actually need a wrench and either a barrel vise or action wrench.
My recommendation, from experience is use the barrel vise.

Howa makes a fine action, threads are metric and barrels very hard to remove. Headspace is set sfter barrel is installed.

With the Stevens, headspace is set WHEN the barrel is installed. You need a go headspace gage for that. A no-go gage is not a must for a new barrel, but nice to have.

Total expenditures for tools on the savage/stevens job, about 150 bucks. buy a new recoil lug while you are at it.

Stevens 200, Ive seen some very good shooting switch barrel Stevens/Savage.

I concur, the process for changing barrels on a Savage only requires a pre-fitted, pre-threaded barrel from someone like Brownells or Midway. Some times you can buy barrels directly from the barrel maker that are already set up to go.

Shilen, Pac-Nor, Hart, there are quite a few more than that, but you'd have to google it.

You will as stated above need barrel vice, and the Savage nut wrench (all available from www.midwayusa.com).

You will also need go/no go gauges for the caliber you are installing.

A Savage is an erector set much like a AR15 and requires only rudimentary tools.

Savage as stated above has an amazing number of after market products available for it.

So does the Howa, and more are being made all the time.

Neither the Savage or the Howa has the selection of Triggers (just Timney and Rifle basics) that a Remington M700 does. But almost everyone makes the same stocks, and both rifles can be upgraded by using a AICS type floor plate so you can use AICS (Accuracy International Chassis System ) magazines.

CDI also makes a DBM system for the Howa 1500 now.

Stevens 200s are great for a DIY build. I've built or assisted with many Stevens 200 builds and I have yet to see one shoot over 3/4min even with cheapo barrels.

Good luck,
Merritt

Thanks for all the great Info that is actually the way I was starting to lean just because of all the after marrket options that I waas finding for the stevens.

Any other info please keep it coming.

Thanks
Matt

You can do a Howa buid, but you'll need a $7500 lathe and another $1500 worth of shop equipment for the DIY.

Howa makes one of the best production receivers around. I put Tikka slightly higher, but the Howa has more parts available for it.

Bang for the buck?

700 or literally bust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bang for the buck?

700 or literally bust. </div></div>

Literally can't wait to hear your reasoning on this...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bang for the buck?

Literally can't wait to hear your reasoning on this... </div></div>

Parts abound for the 700,so the "savings" lauded initially by suffering either of the pieces of shit mentioned,is for naught.

Too easy to score used components of repute for the 700,that trump the "newest" WhizBang GoatFuck for the others. Had the other two pieces of shit had the forethought to dupe a 700 footprint and receiver contour,with superior QC out of the gate...you'd plausibly have a stance.

Beings that fruition is the loftiest of Pipe Dreams,you are left with your initial "thoughts",which is the fruit of the Penny-Pinching Day Dreamer who has never shot shit in extrapolation.

Just sayin' and if only for starters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bang for the buck?

Parts abound for the 700,so the "savings" lauded initially by suffering either of the pieces of shit mentioned,is for naught.

Too easy to score used components of repute for the 700,that trump the "newest" WhizBang GoatFuck for the others. Had the other two pieces of shit had the forethought to dupe a 700 footprint and receiver contour,with superior QC out of the gate...you'd plausibly have a stance.

Beings that fruition is the loftiest of Pipe Dreams,you are left with your initial "thoughts",which is the fruit of the Penny-Pinching Day Dreamer who has never shot shit in extrapolation.

</div></div>

It's funny how the guys with 14 posts and obvious short comings have a lot of dumbass shit to say. Other than the fact that you have no idea what your talking about, judging by the fact that the poster asked what was best for a DIY build not a "hey I have a laithe and thousands of dollars worth of other machines sitting around to build a rifle with", I'd say the information prior to your uneducated dumbfuck post was pretty spot on. Other than stating the most obvious fact that Remingtons do in fact offer more aftermarket parts than a savage, PLEASE fill me in with the plethora of knowledgable information that you seem to think you uphold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bang for the buck?

</div></div>

It's funny how the guys with 14 posts and obvious short comings have a lot of dumbass shit to say. Other than the fact that you have no idea what your talking about, judging by the fact that the poster asked what was best for a DIY build not a "hey I have a laithe and thousands of dollars worth of other machines sitting around to build a rifle with", I'd say the information prior to your uneducated dumbfuck post was pretty spot on. Other than stating the most obvious fact that Remingtons do in fact offer more aftermarket parts than a savage, PLEASE fill me in with the plethora of knowledgable information that you seem to think you uphold. </div></div>

Sugar,

I didn't menton a lathe(though I can spell/use it).

Feel free to cite the "Uber" handle you concoct via DayDream for the other Goat Fucks mentioned. Then talk triggers,mounts/rings and really ring the Imaginary bell you proffer. From there muse COAL,twist rate and options afforded(less your "laithe").

The only thing you shoot,is your mouth and obviously.

You STILL have not mentioned anything that makes any fucking sense. Oh shit, I made a grammatical error while typing too fast and not proof reading my response to your dumbass post. What in the hell does a twist rate have to do with the action he uses? He'll be using a custom barrel and therefor it doesn't matter. Mounts and rings...hmmm not gonna find much difference there either considering rings don't matter considering they mount to the base. Since were on the subject of the base, all of the quality companies that make bases for Remington make bases for Savage and most offer for Howa as well. Also, what's with COAL?? Tell me what factory offering Remington (I won't use goatfuck since I'm nothere to knock Remington in the first place) offers that has a specific chamber that will offer a longer COAL than another plus this goes back to the part where he mentioned he is building the gun not buying one off the shelf....I also already stated that Remington obviously has more offerings than Savage or Howa and hence they have a few more offerings for aftermarket triggers. The only thing you've really picked apart was my misspelled word. You STILL have not mentioned ANYTHING that would answer the posters question with any legitimacy as to how he could build a DIY Remington "or bust" as you so wisely put it, for any cheaper, or even close to as cheap as a Savage without the service of a lathe.

I'm not here to knock any brand of gun as they all have their followers and respected purposes. This was not a topic asking who makes the best off the shelf gun, as neither Remington, Savage, or Howa would come close to the quality of a Sako or AI in that debate. You however, chose to take this perfectly good thread with spot on information to a question that didn't even involve Remington in the first place, and turn it into this clusterfuck of a thread. You just registered yesterday and haven't contributed much aside from your stupid ass posts here and on a couple other threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You STILL have not mentioned anything that makes any fucking sense. Oh shit, I made a grammatical error while typing too fast and not proof reading my response to your dumbass post. What in the hell does a twist rate have to do with the action he uses? He'll be using a custom barrel and therefor it doesn't matter. Mounts and rings...hmmm not gonna find much difference there either considering rings don't matter considering they mount to the base. Since were on the subject of the base, all of the quality companies that make bases for Remington make bases for Savage and most offer for Howa as well. Also, what's with COAL?? Tell me what factory offering Remington (I won't use goatfuck since I'm nothere to knock Remington in the first place) offers that has a specific chamber that will offer a longer COAL than another plus this goes back to the part where he mentioned he is building the gun not buying one off the shelf....I also already stated that Remington obviously has more offerings than Savage or Howa and hence they have a few more offerings for aftermarket triggers. The only thing you've really picked apart was my misspelled word. You STILL have not mentioned ANYTHING that would answer the posters question with any legitimacy as to how he could build a DIY Remington "or bust" as you so wisely put it, for any cheaper, or even close to as cheap as a Savage without the service of a lathe.

I'm not here to knock any brand of gun as they all have their followers and respected purposes. This was not a topic asking who makes the best off the shelf gun, as neither Remington, Savage, or Howa would come close to the quality of a Sako or AI in that debate. You however, chose to take this perfectly good thread with spot on information to a question that didn't even involve Remington in the first place, and turn it into this clusterfuck of a thread. You just registered yesterday and haven't contributed much aside from your stupid ass posts here and on a couple other threads. </div></div>

You haven't the requisite sense,to savvy sense and that is what your perpetual dumbfucktitude is predicated upon. Further,you are using yourself as a barometer of evaluation and few assholes are more fucking stupid than you. Congratulations?

I get it that you've zero clue to twist rate,COAL or anything else that bears fruit,but are fully at the mercy of your "faculties" and their copious delusions.

If only you could process what a fucking idiot you are and in ALL regards.

bless your heart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You STILL have not mentioned anything that makes any fucking sense. Oh shit, I made a grammatical error while typing too fast and not proof reading my response to your dumbass post. What in the hell does a twist rate have to do with the action he uses? He'll be using a custom barrel and therefor it doesn't matter. Mounts and rings...hmmm not gonna find much difference there either considering rings don't matter considering they mount to the base. Since were on the subject of the base, all of the quality companies that make bases for Remington make bases for Savage and most offer for Howa as well. Also, what's with COAL?? Tell me what factory offering Remington (I won't use goatfuck since I'm nothere to knock Remington in the first place) offers that has a specific chamber that will offer a longer COAL than another plus this goes back to the part where he mentioned he is building the gun not buying one off the shelf....I also already stated that Remington obviously has more offerings than Savage or Howa and hence they have a few more offerings for aftermarket triggers. The only thing you've really picked apart was my misspelled word. You STILL have not mentioned ANYTHING that would answer the posters question with any legitimacy as to how he could build a DIY Remington "or bust" as you so wisely put it, for any cheaper, or even close to as cheap as a Savage without the service of a lathe.

I'm not here to knock any brand of gun as they all have their followers and respected purposes. This was not a topic asking who makes the best off the shelf gun, as neither Remington, Savage, or Howa would come close to the quality of a Sako or AI in that debate. You however, chose to take this perfectly good thread with spot on information to a question that didn't even involve Remington in the first place, and turn it into this clusterfuck of a thread. You just registered yesterday and haven't contributed much aside from your stupid ass posts here and on a couple other threads. </div></div>

You haven't the requisite sense,to savvy sense and that is what your perpetual dumbfucktitude is predicated upon. Further,you are using yourself as a barometer of evaluation and few assholes are more fucking stupid than you. Congratulations?

I get it that you've zero clue to twist rate,COAL or anything else that bears fruit,but are fully at the mercy of your "faculties" and their copious delusions.

If only you could process what a fucking idiot you are and in ALL regards.

bless your heart. </div></div>

As much as I could sit here point out all the things you've mentioned that make no fucking sense, or act like I care that some self proclaimed internet wizard thinks I'm an idiot, I'm gonna go ahead and remove myself from this topic and go jump in bed with my hott ass girlfriend. Go ahead and make all the jokes you want and question if my hott ass girlfriend is actually a sheep, or whatever other farm animal you come up with. I'll sleep just fine tonight while your in your desperate attempt to raise your post count.

Sugar,

Leaving was the only move you had and it took you the longest to savvy.

Bless your heart.

I am a recent savage convert. I sold my built up 5r and went to a savage in an a5 Shilen barrel and cdi metal. I have less than a grand in the whole deal. I like to tinker and the savage was a perfect piece to work on.

Tough to find a bigger piece to tinker,than a Salvage.

Matt I'm sorry your introduction to the hide has been exploded by ignorance from a complete tool. If you want any information please feel free to PM me on a Stevens build and id be happy to help.

Living Large please go back to the trailer park and leave this tread alone. Thank you.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt I'm sorry your introduction to the hide has been exploded by ignorance from a complete tool. If you want any information please feel free to PM me on a Stevens build and id be happy to help.

Living Large please go back to the trailer park and leave this tread alone. Thank you.

Good luck,
Merritt </div></div>

No joke, Merritt.

Dude has 60+ posts since he joined less than 24 hours ago, talking shit in nearly every single one of them, and raving about the 162 A-Max like he's got some unhealthy sexual obsession with it.

Talk about 'dumbfuckatude'.

Bless his heart.

Hint.

I shoot a Remington for matches. It is one of the millions out there that has over $3000. in it. I have to be honest. It really don't shoot any better than 99% of the Savage rifles I have seen. I own a Savage, and it ain't my first one. There is nothing wrong with a Savage rifle. I only wish Jewel made a trigger for them.

Thanks MW. I have been aaround MB's long enough to expect a few trolls here anad there. I can see most from what I have read that most here are of an upper class. It seams there are always aa few bad apples in the lot. Any way thanks for the Pm invite I will probably take you up on it.

Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt I'm sorry your introduction to the hide has been exploded by ignorance from a complete tool. If you want any information please feel free to PM me on a Stevens build and id be happy to help.

Good luck,
Merritt </div></div>

You wear your heart on your sleeve Sugar,with a sorry ass rifle's blueprint as a signature line.

Though I am curious there? Are you bitching or bragging about it? Thanks in advance for the clarification!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt I'm sorry your introduction to the hide has been exploded by ignorance from a complete tool. If you want any information please feel free to PM me on a Stevens build and id be happy to help.

Good luck,
Merritt </div></div>

No joke, Merritt.

Dude has 60+ posts since he joined less than 24 hours ago, talking shit in nearly every single one of them, and raving about the 162 A-Max like he's got some unhealthy sexual obsession with it.

Talk about 'dumbfuckatude'.

Bless his heart.

Hint. </div></div>

Few things as "compelling" as a tear filled rant by a clueless boob,with yet more dog shit in her signature line.

Wow,I hope it hurts to be THAT dumb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot a Remington for matches. It is one of the millions out there that has over $3000. in it. I have to be honest. It really don't shoot any better than 99% of the Savage rifles I have seen. I own a Savage, and it ain't my first one. There is nothing wrong with a Savage rifle. I only wish Jewel made a trigger for them. </div></div>

Would love to hear the imaginary specs,if only for giggles. Who built it,what barrel,what chamber/throat,what stock,what base/rings and frost it with an essay on glass?

We'll get to ammo in a bit.

So did you get hit with the ban hammer this morning due to going full retard last night, and decide to create another screen name to further spread your dumbfuckatude?

So sad...

But please massa, lay some knowledge on my dumb ass. Use fancy words that make you feel intelligent, maybe even educated, when you do it too.

I'll be whoever you need me to be and have the shoulders to take you along. Purse your lips,take notes and apply same. Then thank me later after you're gifted with an inkling to the incredible insight.

I do enjoy that playing dumb,is no act for you.

You whine well,undoubtedly due to a Life of practice.

Bless your heart.

Easy Done: its a 6.5x47 lapua SA built by john beanland Krieger barrel 1:8 twist badger bolt knob heavy recoil lug jewel trigger Mc millan A-4 stock 6 flush cups NF 20 MOA rail Badger 35mm rings
durra coat Black. Badger BDM and its top with a vortex Razor HD EBR 2. That doesn't include the blue print cost or the chamber cut and lapping to get it up to speed with a surgeon. Witch it will never be. My point is that it costs so much money to build a 700 action that you could build 3 savage rifles for the same price. OH yeah smart ass did I forget anything?

Oh yea don't forget that you have to bush that Bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy Done: its a 6.5x47 lapua SA built by john beanland Krieger barrel 1:8 twist badger bolt knob heavy recoil lug jewel trigger Mc millan A-4 stock 6 flush cups NF 20 MOA rail Badger 35mm rings
durra coat Black. Badger BDM and its top with a vortex Razor HD EBR 2. That doesn't include the blue print cost or the chamber cut and lapping to get it up to speed with a surgeon. Witch it will never be. My point is that it costs so much money to build a 700 action that you could build 3 savage rifles for the same price. OH yeah smart ass did I forget anything? </div></div>

Interestingly enough,nary a word on throating,projectile selection nor COAL. But in fairness,you really rung the bell by making mention of a Vortex!

Enjoyed "witch" too.

Whats wrong with vortex? I cant remember the reamer he used although he did tell me. my COAL is 2.713, I bet you shoot the mostest expensive scope in the world. And if you think a Vortex Razor is junk you have never looked through one.

I'm not forced to think,though I've the luxury of knowing,which are of course polar opposites. I'll happily leave guessing to you.

I find an arbitrary COAL length of 2.713" interesting,doubly soles less the mention of the bullet. Why would you need to "remember a reamer" with your own rifle in your own mitts?

This stuff is great!

Whats your point big shot? I told you what my rifle is so you could make a guess at the cost. I shoot berger 140gr VLD bullets. That is my case over all length. What is your Malfunction? Mommy didn't love you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats your point big shot?</div></div>

He has no point.

He speaks in an overly grandiose, masturbatory nature as though somebody on an internet message board about shooting would be impressed by it.

He's obsessed with bullet selection, twist rates, COAL and optics yet never offers a shred of advice to anyone, writing as though they are dumbasses for not having his knowledge or insight that is just <span style="font-style: italic">so obvious</span>.

In other words, your 12 year old typical internet know-it-all douchebag troll.

Bless his heart...

Oh well he wont last long. I guess he don't know what this site is for.

I love how the Savage and Howa threads always attract the Billy Badasses of the interwebs.

Glad this thread asking about a "budget build" was taken over by a couple of the nation's top shooters.........if they ever provide some credentials we can substantiate?

it is entertaining when Larry comes back around... he may be an asshole, and he and I may disaggree on Savage, but you guys would be wise not to base someone's knowledge on post count, bet he has more rounds downrange than everyone else in this thread combined.

The Mall Ninja's gotta tell themselves sumptin' and perpetuate the Myth that nothing is something...if only to save face. I shoot them all and have no bias,other than top notch results are my focus and I've the inclination to induce some Real World scenarios/weather,in conjunction with a critique.

Funniest part is,I'll bet the farm that I've killed more Big Shit as per B&C Score with a Salvage,than the Salvage nut-lickers here. Further,I'd cite that I've more rounds spent ala this receiver alone,than all the Salvage Gals wildest goddamned dreams bolted together. If only because it's on it's 5th tube(all 7-08) and them miles run the gamut from Mexican Match to IMR-4895 SMK's...to true happiness ala '15 and a 162A-Max. BT/DT...wrote the fucking book. Hint.

BuckSavage.jpg

It remains one of Life's many constants,that those who bitch the most...have done the least.

Bless their hearts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBlue&Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love how the Savage and Howa threads always attract the Billy Badasses of the interwebs.

Glad this thread asking about a "budget build" was taken over by a couple of the nation's top shooters.........if they ever provide some credentials we can substantiate? </div></div>

You've got a good point; apologies to the OP for contributing to the hijack of your thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Easily Done</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt I'm sorry your introduction to the hide has been exploded by ignorance from a complete tool. If you want any information please feel free to PM me on a Stevens build and id be happy to help.

Good luck,
Merritt </div></div>

Sorry I didn't know I was dealing with Yoda himself. I bask in your glory and knowledge oh wise one. And about doing the least that's funny as part of an EOD unit in Fallujah as their security element I must know nothing about putting any rounds down range, nor the fact my main MOS just happened to be Fire direction control where it was my job to know how to hit targets up to 18miles away, I must know nothing about balistics or shooting. Then the fact that I now compete at TVP with a group of guys that are no slouches, but your right I know nothing and you are Yoda.

Believe me I do not wear my heart on my sleeve but trolls are trolls.

Thank you,
Merritt

You wear your heart on your sleeve Sugar,with a sorry ass rifle's blueprint as a signature line.

Though I am curious there? Are you bitching or bragging about it? Thanks in advance for the clarification! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage Love</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It remains one of Life's many constants,that those who bitch the most...have done the least.

</div></div>

This particular truism would seem to reflect poorly on you, Nobody, Savage Love, Livin Large, Easily Done, Busheler, Larry, et. cetera ad nauseam.
sick.gif