• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 upgrade questions

beaverpelt

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2017
St Louis, MO
I ordered a Howa 1500 20" #6 taper barrel in .308 and had some questions on upgrades. I'd like to install a Timney trigger and they ask you to select a pull weight. Does that mean it comes pre-adjusted from Timney to that weight as the description says it's adjustable? I'd also like to order the HS Precision PVS140 stock to replace the Hogue stock. Lastly where is the best place to have the barrel threaded?

I'd like to keep a more traditional style stock for this rifle rather than a chassis stock. I did see the pull weight selection. What pull weight is a good recommendation?

I'm pretty new to bolt action platform rifles but have a lot of AR's with Geissele triggers. So with bolt actions I guess I'm not used to anything. The intended use will primarily target shooting.

I'm pretty new to bolt action platform rifles but have a lot of AR's with Geissele triggers. So with bolt actions I guess I'm not used to anything. The intended use will primarily target shooting.

I would recommend not more than 2.5 lbs based on my own experience (very similar to yours)

Timney will only adjust the Howa trigger to 1.5 lbs at the bottom. Gotta be careful which one you order. 2 position safety is 609, 3 position safety is is 611 per Timney trigger tech.

I like a 12oz pull myself.

Again, it depends on the end use. I've had rifles with much lighter triggers than 12 oz but they were made for a very specific use (smallbore prone competition).

2 lbs for a precision rifle that will see field use is plenty low. For most people anyway.

Timney will only adjust the Howa trigger to 1.5 lbs at the bottom. Gotta be careful which one you order. 2 position safety is 609, 3 position safety is is 611 per Timney trigger tech.

I'm going to pick up the barreled action tonight so I'll see which safety it has

I guess i failed to mention i canceled the Howa 1500 in 308 and ordered the Howa 1500 heavy bbl 24" 6.5CM barreled action in FDE. I also ordered the Bell & Carlson competition stock for it. I should have it all today. I'll post a pic later.

I like a 2.5-3 lbs trigger. The great thing about Timney is it is adjustable. If you change your preference you can adjust it. If you don't feel comfortable adjusting it Timney will do it for free. You only have to pay the shipping to them. Hope this helps. Sure you will enjoy it!

It wasnt a howa trigger but I ordered one to be set at 1 lb from timney direct and it arrived at 3 lb. So thats just to say that its not a guarantee it will arrive at what you request. Its not hard to turn them down a bit so long as you make sure you dont get slam fires etc. there should be no problem. Id go as light as you can with out issue, going to a 2 pound trigger feels like a ton of bricks to me now. That said its all personal, youre gonna like the trigger.

Id go as light as you can with out issue, going to a 2 pound trigger feels like a ton of bricks to me now. That said its all personal, youre gonna like the trigger.

One good thing about competing in smallbore prone and service rifle is that I got used to dealing with a 1 lb two stage one weekend (Anschutz) and a 4.5 lb two stage (Geissele set to service rifle rules) the next.

Depends on the usage I guess I am using mine to shoot club and regional PRS/Border War/MOST matches. The wife ordered a 609 for me for Christmas set at 1.5lbs from Timney which came set at 1.5lbs tested with a trigger gauge. I will check the replacement when it comes as it too has been ordered at 1.5lbs. Gotta say, tho, I like the factory trigger. I have mine set (with a replacement 2nd stage trigger spring) at 1 1/4lbs and it is smooth and crisp. If it had an over travel stop it would be perfect.

Last edited:
I have a Timney on my 308 1500 and a HACT on my 223. Can't say I like the HACT very much, but then I've been used to Geissele and Anschutz two stage triggers. Until someone comes up with a premium two stage for Howas, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to replace the HACT with another Timney.

Here she is
nxd04.jpg

I replaced the trigger in my HCR with a Timney, which I set at 2 lbs. after not very long, it started to break inconsistently (1.75-2lbs). A couple weeks ago, I shot my buddy’s Howa with the factory HACT, and though, “Why didn’t I at least give the HACT a chance?”

Today I tried to tighten it up to 2.5 lbs, and the screw stripped. So I put the HACT back on the rifle.

Moral: shoot first, mod later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Boogieman84
I replaced the trigger in my HCR with a Timney, which I set at 2 lbs. after not very long, it started to break inconsistently (1.75-2lbs). A couple weeks ago, I shot my buddy’s Howa with the factory HACT, and though, “Why didn’t I at least give the HACT a chance?”

Today I tried to tighten it up to 2.5 lbs, and the screw stripped. So I put the HACT back on the rifle.

Moral: shoot first, mod later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And that is a sweet rifle. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk