• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

howa 1500?

shanem81

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
montana
Considering building a saum off of a howa action. Any thoughts good or bad, or should i just get a 700.

Re: howa 1500?

Howa is an excellent action with a great, one piece bolt.

Getting the barrels off the action is a true bitch.

im pretty new to the precision game, although i have always been a shooter/hunter but typically made due with my hunting rifles and some expensive ammo with good results in the woods and on the bench.

with that said, i have heard great things about the howa 1500 series rifles, and they are very accurate out of the box. as mentioned above the aftermarket support wont be anywhere near what it is for the 700, but a good smith can always work your trigger, change your barrel, etc... you would need a smith to change a barrel on a 700 also from what i have read on here.

Excellent rifles , more out there in the way of accessories than you think..... Manners ,CDI,EGW...

Last edited:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thecelt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but a good smith can always work your trigger, change your barrel, etc... you would need a smith to change a barrel on a 700 also from what i have read on here. </div></div>

Not just any Smith, But one that will work with metric. From what I understand the Howas are metric threaded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hewlett260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a beauty, what do you use that for? </div></div>
I built it to prove a point about both .260's and Remingtons....Truth is it sits in the safe more than anything else. Fired it exactly 100 times without issue and it became a safe queen. Know anybody that needs a 6 X 47 Lapua?

Howa actions are very nice. M16 extractor they're real smooth, have a little heavier bolt lift than a 700. I hear if you get the stainless howa barreled action than they are easier to get the barrel off not for sure though. I have both a howa 1500 and a remington 700 custom. My remington is more consistant than the howa because of a nicer barrel(bartlien), but in my opinion I think the howa has a nicer action.

It is a great action in my opinion; integral recoil lug and easy to field strip.

There are lots of aftermarket products. Roedale Precision in Germany has both light and tactical stocks, among other things. Check the RCS II stock.

the howa action is a phenominal action to build on in my worthless ass opinion

finished.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hewlett260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may be wrong here but those of us who own them probably don't want to part with them. </div></div>

Too True!

RH40-J03.jpg

I want one!. I see that they dont make the wsm in the howa anymore, anyone one know why not?.

Probably didn't sell enough to keep the bean counters happy. I think Howa is one of the better kept secrets in the shooting community.

If you want a WSM or RSAUM get the barrel yourself and do it as a complete custom build and then post the picture on here so I can have something else to fantasize about.

If they made it in lefty i'd have about 3 by now.
Brilliant sticks, especially when you consider how much you pay for them.
The new way they sell them (build-your-own) is brilliant especially for new shooters who may not want to spend ages customising or setting up their rifles.

I have 2 Howa 1500s myself. I have had a terrific experience with the .308. I can consistently get it to shoot 1"-1.5" groups at 200 yds. with my handloads. A couple of months ago my little brother managed a group that measured just over .5" at 200. I recently sent the .223 of to get trued, rebarrreled and bedded into a Manners stock because I didn't like the 20" barrel. Both have large bolt knobs installed by Mark at Short Action Customs. The knob is perfectly mated to the handle and no seam can be felt between the handle and the knob.

The Howa actions are terrific IMO and I'm positive that once the .223 comes back from GAP, it will shoot just as well as my custom actions can.