• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 300WM sudden loss of accuracy

devinhal

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2019
Hello All,
I have had a Howa 1500 chambered in 300 Win Mag for about 5 years now and have been very impressed with the accuracy with both factory ammo and loads I've developed(.75" at 100 yards) considering the cost of the rifle. I haven't made any changes to the rifle and have been using it mainly as a hunting rifle. Recently I started working on a new load based on the components that I had access to. I also saw this as a good time to get a new lot of brass to last me awhile(Hornady). Since then, I have tried loads with 2 different powders(H1000, H4831SC), 2 different bullets(180 Accubond, 180 Sierra Gameking), and 3 different primers(CCI Large Rifle Magnum, CCI Large Rifle, Federal GM215M) and the groups have been less than impressive(2.5" or larger at 100 yards). I shot about 80 rounds chasing my tail with the new loads.

Just out of curriosity, I put 5 rounds of my previous load down range and had about a 2" group(Federal Brass, Federal Large Rifle Primer, 180 Barnes TTS, 69.4gr IMR4831). I figured the barrel just needed a cleaning and spent some time scrubbing it good. Shot 30 rounds to foul it back up, but got a large group when I tried my proven load again. The groups were good last year when I put the gun away(about .75" at 100 yards), and I can't believe the groups would open that much in such a short time. Has anyone else ran into a similar issue or have suggestions on what to check next?

Thanks for taking the time to read through this.

Could be a number of things. Maybe something is loose? Have you gone thru and checked things like action screws. scope mount and rings?
It could also be that you have picked up a bad habit that you aren't noticing.
Lastly, the current groups tend to be large and round or maybe most together except with a flyer (or two)?

How many rounds through the barrel?

Checked for throat wear/distance to lands?

I have about 600 rounds through it total. I set the new loads 0.030 off the lands like my last load. I will check when I get home to see what the Ojive distance is between the two.

I have about 600 rounds through it total. I set the new loads 0.030 off the lands like my last load. I will check when I get home to see what the Ojive distance is between the two.
One more possibility is a carbon ring, I had the same thing happen recently and after working the area in front of the throat with Iosso bore paste it was back to .5 moa