• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 6.5 creed/bravo/accurate mag feeding issues

sam4886

Stunt Cock
Minuteman
May 15, 2019
Eastern WA
I recently put my 6.5 creed Howa in a bravo and bought the KRG branded accurate AICS 5 rd mags, I'd been using the factory box mag before.

My issue is that the 3rd round from the bottom (so 3rd round if 5 are in, 2nd round if I only load 4) always shifts forward. This causes it to get caught below the feed ramp and obviously not go in. I can reach into the open bolt and give it a little pressure on the back end to reset and it will load fine after that. The next two always load just fine. the jammed round that I have to mess with I'd always tilted down at the bullet end, but I think that's only because the tip gets hung up under the feed ramp.

So, I know what's happening, I just don't know the cause or what to do to fix it. I thought maybe spring pressure was causing friction between the brass in the mag that then causes the loading of the first couple to pull the 3rd forward too far. I tried loading only 4 to reduce pressure, but then it still happens to the second one. I left the mags loaded for a couple weeks to exercise the springs but I had the same problems after that too.

I haven't tried with only 3 in the mag to see if any of them hang up.

Any ideas?

I've seen mention of some grinding that involves howas and AICS mags, but don't know where to start. I'm not opposed to doing it, just need some direction. Obviously I'd like to fix the issue without altering the action if I can.

Need to notch the feed ramp. U-shape cut into the feed ramp so the rounds will pop up. Light chamfer on the edges of the cut. Depth into the feed ramp will depend on how much of the tip of the round is getting hung up. Simple to do. Google notching feed ramp and watch a few videos. Had to do it on my Bergara

That is certainly an option, but I think its a bandaid for my issue. The rounds feed fine as long as they are all the way to the back of the mag. The problem is that the 3rd one always shifts forward about a quarter inch.

if you bought the magazines that dont have a binder plate then notching the feedramp or trading them for the mags with the binder plate is your fix. Many actions wont feed from AI mags without binder plates. You know why.

Reactions: Steel head
Yup, mine are non-binder plate. Got those so my current loads would fit. Looks like they're a little bit too long for binder plates.

Anyone know if I can get the plates alone and put them in?

Couple pics of what's going on.

You can see how far the case goes forward on the ones that stick. It does this with 3 in the mag too, BTW. Normally on the second round.

Also got a pic of the mag inserted and the bullet hung under the ramp. What a pain to get lighting and my phone in a decent spot.
20200513_165444.jpg
20200513_165452.jpg
20200513_165626.jpg

Either shorten your load and post a WTT add in the exchange here to swap mags or just notch the feedramp like many do. Even some custom actions require a notch to run long loads in binderless mags.

CDI was the first to contend with this Howa issue using AICS mags. They chose to notch the feed ramp. PTG requires machining the nub on the back of the magwell, which is why I prefer their DBM. Other companies created their own mags claiming drop in fit, sometimes modifications are still required.

You can dance around it all you want.
In the end notching the feed ramp is the cure.

Not necessarily. If he's willing to scale OAL back to 2.875 or less the action won't need any modification, as that's what the cartridge length that it was designed around.

Not necessarily. If he's willing to scale OAL back to 2.875 or less the action won't need any modification, as that's what the cartridge length that it was designed around.
True,,,but OP seems to be resisting that simply remedy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
True,,,but OP seems to be residing that simply remedy.
He would have to purchase or trade for mags with binder plates or notch the feed ramp. The OP is saying that the lower rounds slide forward to the front of the mags. This would happen regardless of length. That is what the binder plates are for. They keep rounds from sliding so far forward that they end up beneath the feed ramp of the action.

Reactions: 308pirate
I ended up notching the ramp and ran a few mags through with no issues. I used a cone shaped grinder on a dremel to create a kind of "ramp on a ramp" deal.

Semipro gunsmith. ahhh yeaaahh.

I ended up notching the ramp and ran a few mags through with no issues. I used a cone shaped grinder on a dremel to create a kind of "ramp on a ramp" deal.

Semipro gunsmith. ahhh yeaaahh.

WECSOG