• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 6.5 creedmoor

TravisP

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2011
Missouri
Your guys thoughts on a Howa multicam 6.5 creedmoor, ordered it today. 24 inch threaded barrel. FDE ceracoat action and barrel. Has the hogue stock in multicam pattern. Have got to handle on of these at a shop but with the lighter weight barrel and it does not have the rubber overmold applied on this model. I am getting this rifle for long range whitetail hunting from a shooting house/stand. It will not be packed around. Will target shoot but no competition. I do not have endless money supply but wanted something accurate and affordable. 1 inch guaranteed and lifetime warranty. Do realize the stock might have to be replaced at some point but have been reading good reviews on them. Will be shooting Hornady factory stuff as I do not reload. Will be putting a vortex 6x24 hst scope on it. EGW base and TPS Rings. Will add muzzle break when I can afford. What should my expectations be for this rifle? Not a custom built for me rifle but one I can afford. Any personal experiences, advice, thoughts and info are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Howa Ranch Carbine in .223 a few years ago, it was a solid MOA shooter with the first reload tried. Still kind of wondering why I got rid of it.

With the parameters you've stated, sounds like you're in business. The only suggestion I'd venture is to get some baseline reloading gear, as finances allow, and start making your own ammo. Chances are very good you'll get better accuracy and will be able to shoot more, which in turn will improve your shooting skills.

However, be advised; reloading can easily become a deep. never ending rabbit hole. Which is a good thing.

I bought a Howa 6.5 Creedmoor 26 inch threaded barreled action from Brownells and dropped it into a Bell and Carlson light tactical stock. Talley 1 piece 20 moa base, Vortex rings, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 scope. Factory trigger, no bedding, just dropped it in the stock, bolted the scope on and went shooting.

Factory Hornady Precision Hunter 143 eld-x, got my data out to 500 if I wanted to kill something 4 legged. Got a 3 inch 5 shot group at 500 Yards.

Factory Norma 130 match. Accurate stuff I love this ammo. Worked my way out to a thousand yards and had 8 rounds left on the day. Held the first mildot for left to right wind and was way right still. Doubled my wind hold and went 3 in a row, 6 inches tall and 3 wide. Dialed back to my 100 yard zero and put my last 4 rounds in a 3/4 inch group in the black without trying too awful hard.

I love this gun, and ammo is 26 bucks a box. Sell the Norma once fired brass, get some money back, buy more ammo

Last edited:
I'm on my third Howa 1500 since 2000.

First one a stainless sporter in 30-06. Came in a cheapo plastic stock, dropped it in a B&C Medalist stock, put a Burris Fullfield II (back when they were made in CO) on it and proceeded to slay several KS bucks and does with it. Put a M1 canvas sling on it and went shooting NRA highpower sporter rifle matches and did well enough to win/place/show

Second one a 308 heavy barrel package rifle from that other sniper forum/website. I pissed around for years with it, swapping mediocre scopes and bipods on it, even a Manners MCS-T but never really getting serious. Eventually I arrived to today's setup with a KRG 180-xray chassis, atlas bipod, SWFA 3-15X42 FFP, worked up some halfway decent loads, and really learned to shoot from a bipod (I've been a sling shooter for years before). This rifle is well capable of cleaning the NRA 600 yd F class target if you mind the wind (that's better than .95 MOA) and will make stupid tight 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

Third one is a 223 heavy barreled action that I got for $250 from PTG. Dropped it in the Manners that was cast-off from the 308 project, put an old 1" 3-10X40 mil/mil Weaver on it, and proceeded to shoot sub .5 MOA groups at 100 with handloads topped with 55 gr Hornady V-Max, after breaking it in with Tubb Final Finish (that shit's magic). I have a SWFA 16X42 on the way from Black Friday and that will finish this project till the KRG Bravo chassis comes out with the Howa inlet. My only disappointment is that even though it's supposed to be a 1-9 twist, it will not stabilize 69 match kings. But for $250 I'm not complaining. I might send it to be rebarreled with a 1-7, someday......

You chose well.

Want to thank you guys for the replies and about your experiences with the howa rifles you have owned or still have. Very excited to get this rifle and get it shooting. Good to hear from people that own them, that these are accurate rifles. Will be more than pleased if I have the success you all have had with yours. As far as the reloading, I would like to get into that, just don’t have the time and not set up at the house yet to do it. My retirement is approaching and plan on getting into the reloading then. Will have more time. I want to thank you all again, appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I have a Howa HCR I bought a month ago and have fired just under 200 rds. It’s a shooter, this is Hornady 147 ELD-M bullets over H4350 fired during load development:
3e1fd8b52b3b918ec9375eec557c0d75.jpg

This is the same load at 475yds kneeling off the top of a barrel practicing using a bipod and rear bag:
9822dcbe01d9afec458381379512b45e.jpg

I like it so much I bought a second barreled action from Brownells on Black Friday!

I have a Howa HCR I bought a month ago and have fired just under 200 rds. It’s a shooter, this is Hornady 147 ELD-M bullets over H4350 fired during load development:
3e1fd8b52b3b918ec9375eec557c0d75.jpg

This is the same load at 475yds kneeling off the top of a barrel practicing using a bipod and rear bag:
9822dcbe01d9afec458381379512b45e.jpg

I like it so much I bought a second barreled action from Brownells on Black Friday!

Looks like you were a cav scout, correct? Thank you for your service. Army? I was a 12B combat engineer stationed at Ft. Campbell Ky, 101st Airborne. So to the topic, those HCR look great and are highly accurate. Wanted one but just couldn’t justify spending that much. I’m going to be in the multicam for a little over a grand. I’m fired up to hear all these personal experiences with howa rifles. Used to be a Remington guy years and years ago but they just aren’t very good anymore. Bout 10 years ago, which was the last time I bought a new bolt gun I went with a savage 308. Dabbled a little in the long range game but life got in the way. The savage shot great and I even put a manners stock on it. Just didn’t have the time. I do now and since the introduction of the 6.5 creedmoor, want to try again. Nice groups and thanks for the response.

You’re welcome, and thank you too! Yes, 19D3H in the ILARNG back in the day. You are really going to like the Howa, the action is smooth and the barrels seem to get faster as they break in. I feel the accuracy is incredible for the money.