• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Howa 7mm mag or Weatherby Vanguard Sporter .270wsm

Target07

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
I know both are made by Howa but are there any advantages to the Weatherby Vanguard Sporter? I am looking to purchase a fairly inexpensive rifle for deer season and I am torn between the two. I have found both of the above on gunbroker for reasonable prices.

One reason I am torn between the two is the caliber choices. I have found a Howa in 7mm mag w/ a Nikko Stirling Diamond Illuminated Reticle 30mm scope (I know they are pretty much junk) in a green hogue stock for $400 + &20 shipped to my FFL. I think that is a very resonable price for what you get. I am not to big on the hogue stock though. Secondly, I have found a Weatherby Vanguard Sporter (monte carlo wood stock) in .270 WSM which has slightly better ballistics than a 7mm mag for $549 + $30 shipping (no scope included). Also, the test target that is included w/ the Weatherby rifle is sub-moa even though this particular model isn't their "Sub-Moa" model.

So, my question still stands. Aside from the caliber, since both are almost identical, w/ the exception of the 7mm mag being able to handle larger grain projectile, is the Weatherby Vanguard Sporter worth $150 more than the Howa? For what it is worth I like the wood stock much more on the Weatherby than the hogue that is on the Howa. Additionally, both rifles are blued and both have 24" bbls.

Re: Howa 7mm mag or Weatherby Vanguard Sporter .270wsm

I've owned several of both the Howa and the Weatherby Vanguard. Go the Howa route! There is a difference in quality. For more in depth reporting, Pete Lincoln is one of the experts here on the hide.

Excellent posts by Pete Lincoln:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...3898#Post993898

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...407#Post1218407

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...426#Post1397426

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...095#Post1435095

put your reading glasses on!

Here is the best way to search the Sniper's Hide:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

If you are using this for hunting primarily, I would consider the weight as a factor. I have humped the Howa around and found it rather heavy. But again, weight is a factor because of the mountains and distances we hike. I looked at the Vanguard and the Tikka T3. I went with the T3 (270WSM). My friend who carries the Howa (7MM) has killed many an animal with his, he loves his Howa but would like a lighter weapon. I would reccomend you handle a T3, the barrel is great and it is super accurate right out of the box. The action is amazing. They are priced right as well.

ive got a howa 7mmrm and i like it. it is on the heavy side but it helps with the recoil.also dont discount the nikko stirling dimond straight up. its the dimond which is made in japan and of decent quality. proberly not that great for dialing but for a hunting rifle you could do worse. ive got a nikko stirling night eater and ive put that through its paces time after time after and dimonds are a even better quality scope

Another vote for the Howa and 7mm. You are trying to keep your costs down, go Howa. Some of these guys on here have some pretty impressive Howa's that have been worked over.

Outta the two choices, I'd go with the 7mag just because of ammo availibility.

But If I was looking for a light hunting rig. Tikka T3 all the way.

Well I went by the local Gander Mountain to handle a few of these rifles and I found a used Browning A-Bolt Medallion in .300 wsm and couldn't pass up the deal. Damn, another impulse buy! Oh well. It is really light and w/ the 23" bbl is really handy feeling. I am a bit concerned w/ the recoil that the .300 wsm is going to produce but I guess I will find out tomorrow when I get it to the range.

The A bolts are good and I'm glad to see you went in the 30 cal family. Recoil will be less than the 7mag would have been.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The A bolts are good and I'm glad to see you went in the 30 cal family. Recoil will be less than the 7mag would have been.</div></div>

I am glad I went w/ the A-bolt in .300 wsm also. It has a sharp recoil due to the round and the fact that the A-bolts are a little on the lite side (ie. 6 1/2 lbs. I believe). It only took me 4 rounds to get it zeroed and then I shot an additional 3 more just for shits and giggles. So far I am really liking the .300 wsm round. Hopefully I will get to see what it will do to a deer this Saturday as it is opening day of modern gun season.