• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa Barrel Work - Gunsmith Recommendations

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I have a Howa action with the original factory barrel still in it, that I would like removed to be replaced with a custom barrel that is threaded, chambered, and crowned (no muzzle brake). I will be using something like Brux, Krieger, Bartlein, or other cut-rifled barrel. I am looking for suggestions on gunsmiths that are experienced with Howa actions (metric thread). I have checked a few I could find, but I know little of their reputation, and costs have varied SIGNFICANTLY. The work described above has varied in cost by as much as 50% from low to high, and that does not include any mandatory requirement by the gunsmith that other work be done (i.e., truing action).

Thanks.

I’m pretty sure the 1500 I did for a friend a while back was not a metric thread, but I would have to look at my notes. Other than that, they’re very simple to rebarrel, easier than a Remington. Don’t use anyone who demands a premium for howa work. The one I worked on was quite straight, and didn’t need any truing. Shoots like a laser.

I bet LRI could knock out the whole thing in a week or two, and his pricing is reasonable.

I bet LRI could knock out the whole thing in a week or two, and his pricing is reasonable.

I sent a barrel to them last month to get cut, took about four weeks from the time they received it to come back to me and can't say it was a positive experience either.

EDIT: Spoke with Chad, worked things out and all good now.

Last edited:
I sent a barrel to them last month to get cut, took about four weeks from the time they received it to come back to me and can't say it was a positive experience either.

4 weeks isnt bad, was there something else that made you unhappy?

I’m pretty sure the 1500 I did for a friend a while back was not a metric thread, but I would have to look at my notes. Other than that, they’re very simple to rebarrel, easier than a Remington. Don’t use anyone who demands a premium for howa work. The one I worked on was quite straight, and didn’t need any truing. Shoots like a laser.

Thanks for your comments. The action/barrel thread is 26mm x 1.5mm thread pitch (metric). I did notice that some gunsmiths do charge a premium for working with metric threads. Depending on the lathe, threading metric CAN be more difficult and time consuming.

Thanks for your comments. The action/barrel thread is 26mm x 1.5mm thread pitch (metric). I did notice that some gunsmiths do charge a premium for working with metric threads. Depending on the lathe, threading metric CAN be more difficult and time consuming.

I do either, and don’t find it any more time consuming personally. The 1.5mm pitch does ring a bell now that you mention it. I also know some peeps who absolutely won’t even consider doing metric. I won’t stop badgering them though until they realize the simplicity.

Short Actions Customs did up a Weatherby Vanguard S2, re-branded Howa, for me no issues. Price was very reasonable for work.

Barrel came back shorter than I sent it in for, with several notes and a phone call explaining what I wanted the barrel cut too. If it was handled better, I wouldn't be as mad given that it wasn't drastically cut shorter than I wanted but so far LRI's attempt to remedy the situation has been nearly nonexistent.

That seems odd. @LongRifles Inc. can you add some clarity?

I’ve used them several times and communication I thought was one of their stronger points. Hell, they have an order tracker and upload pictures step by step of their work as it progresses. They’ve always been exceptional. I’d like to hear both sides.

That seems odd. @LongRifles Inc. can you add some clarity?

I’ve used them several times and communication I thought was one of their stronger points. Hell, they have an order tracker and upload pictures step by step of their work as it progresses. They’ve always been exceptional. I’d like to hear both sides.

Edit: Matters been solved

Last edited:
Reactions: WVHick

Since this is now a public matter.

Order #7801:

In your notes (see photo below circled in red) The barrel length stated (by your own hand) started as 26" long. That was incorrect. This is what promted the phone call from us because the math does not add up. (26-3 does not equal 24)

It's my understanding that two phone calls regarding this matter have taken place.

*The first was us contacting you for clarification.
*The second was you contacting us because the outcome was not as you wanted.

I (Chad) am 3rd party to this. Sure, I own the place, but I do not personally handle every single job that comes through here. You and I spoke briefly and I forwarded you to Quentin because he is who actually did the work.

From my perspective:

It would seem strange that one of my staff members would find a simple/innocent error on someone's paperwork, (that the client creates by his own hand when using the store) contact them, then make the EXACT same error.

So, using simple deductive principle, it would seem one of two things took place:

1. Quentin can't do basic math (yet has successfully programmed cnc machinery now for almost 3 years)
2. He was told to remove 3" from the muzzle and he did exactly as asked

Personally, I am at a loss as to how to correct this. The customer is always right. - Right up until the point that he isn't. Having done literally thousands of these things, I struggle understanding how this evolved to the state it is now. We don't make it habit to just crap all over our clients. The track record spanning over a decade, with tens of thousands of examples, qualifies the reputation.

Since we have moved this topic to the forum of public opinion, exactly what is the reasonable expection you have on how I am supposed to correct this?

Chad

1544542366350.png

I remember talking to Quentin on 11/08. We spoke very briefly, told him I measured the total length of my barrel at 27" and if he disagreed and was getting something else, that I must have made a mistake measuring the barrel (how, I don't know) , didn't fight him on it and told him I still wanted the barrel cut to 24" . He confirmed to cut the barrel off a couple inches and that I wanted to retain the 24" length I originally wanted. Told him I appreciated the call clarifying what I wanted, correcting the matter, and then we ended the call.

Time passed and never saw the barrel work entered into the status tracker your shop uses, which I thought was odd given everything else pertaining to my order was updated. To be quite honest, when I got the notification that my parts had shipped, I thought my barrel work was forgotten about being that it was the only item that was not updated after completion.

Parts arrived 11/30, measured the barrel multiple times, saw it was shorter than what I told Quentin I wanted during our phone call.

Called, emailed, and PM'd you on here on 11/30.

From the phone call between Quentin and I on 12/03, we talked about the problem, he said he didn't recall much from our previous conversation four weeks ago and we went over the phone call from 11/08. I told him I wasn't that upset, and we ended the phone call with him apologizing, saying he made a mistake, and was going to speak with you about finding a resolution and would call me back later that day.

When Quentin told me he made a mistake and was going to speak with you, then would contact me back later that day with a solution, I took that as a verbal commitment he would do just that, after all he did seem genuinely sincere in wanting to make it right and I had no doubts he would do just that, yet I never heard back from him or anyone else.

I even tried reaching out to the shop before the weekend and this is the first I've heard from anyone regarding the matter since the phone call between Quentin and I last Monday. That is where the growth of my frustration lies and I do not find being unhappy with my experience thus far to be unreasonable.

So yes, someone asked about why I wasn't happy with my experience with LRI, so I shared it.

Just like you are now sharing your perspective on the situation and that's fine.

Before this erodes into a reality TV show, here's what I have done. I just refunded your entire order (7801). I hope this satisfies the issue and it can now be put to bed permanently.

C.

Before this erodes into a reality TV show, here's what I have done. I just refunded your entire order (7801). I hope this satisfies the issue and it can now be put to bed permanently.

C.

I appreciate that and thank you. We're good here and the matters settled.

I appreciate that and thank you. We're good here and the matters settled.
You should have just told them what length to cut the barrel to.

The problem was created when you told them how much to cut.