• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa Barreled Action

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    Is this a good deal?
    https://gun.deals/product/howa-1500...l-blue-308-win-6-33999-shipped-after-code-h7l
    I was thinking about picking up a Tikka [standard T3] in 308 during spring 2018 as a solid secondary bolt gun. But this seems like it could fit the same bill as another accurate rifle next to my CTR. I may still get another Tikka for the sake of having a very similar rifle as a backup, but this does seem like a great deal at $280. I think I could bed it into a standard $130 boyds stock and have a good shooter. What do you all think?

I'm seeing the same thing on other sites for $70 more. I'd say its a good deal.

I believe Pacific Tool & Gauge was at $250 for those barreled actions. Pretty tempting.

How good can a barreled action be for $250? Not sure how they can produce a quality product at that price point????? I have zero experience with Howa, so not knocking them. Just a thought.

Definitely a screaming deal if it's not some kind of factory 2nd or refurbished. My guess is over stock or some kind of put together to get rid of extra components. I know they always have them on Brownells, in a lot of different calibers for around 400$ I think.

How good can a barreled action be for $250? Not sure how they can produce a quality product at that price point????? I have zero experience with Howa, so not knocking them. Just a thought.

First of all, $250 is a clearance/sale price, not a normal retail price. Either PTG got a smoking deal from someone else who took a loss or PTG is taking a loss to move inventory. Howa barreled actions sell at Brownells for roughly twice that much at retail.

Second of all, Howa rifle quality is beyond question. They punch well above their weight.

The problem with the ptg barrled actions is that they all have that awful kryptek all over them for the most part so I'm guessing they are surplus.

The problem with the ptg barrled actions is that they all have that awful kryptek all over them for the most part so I'm guessing they are surplus.

For 1/2 off I'm willing to overlook a lot. I already have a can of OD Duracoat in the gun room anyway.

For 1/2 off I'm willing to overlook a lot. I already have a can of OD Duracoat in the gun room anyway.

Yea as long as it shoots it can be painted, coated or whatever. I'm all for finding deals like this.

Yea as long as it shoots it can be painted, coated or whatever. I'm all for finding deals like this.

It's a Howa, odds are better than even that it will. And if it won't, for $250 I can afford to get it trued and a new, better barrel spun on.

I bought a Howa Barreled action. Would not extract factory FGMM. Howa told me Hornady ammo only and no other repair or support. Two smiths on this board looked at it and condemned it.
    It was very expensive and painful. My factory 5R now, it runs And shoots well. A bargain indeed.

I bought a Howa Barreled action. Would not extract factory FGMM. Howa told me Hornady ammo only and no other repair or support. Two smiths on this board looked at it and condemned it.
    It was very expensive and painful. My factory 5R now, it runs And shoots well. A bargain indeed.

Was this some kind of sale gun or just a regular off the shelf gun? How long ago?

My long time dealer ordered it for me. He said he would eat it but I did not like the idea of us both hurt by them. Time frame about a year.

While I don't doubt what you say, I would say that is the first time I have heard of a Howa rifle being anything but satisfactory.

When you say "Howa told me Hornady ammo only" are you referring to Legacy Sports?

I've bought three howa barreled actions. The first one in .308 averages 5" with fgmm and hornady match at 100 yards. It was bedded in a b&c a2. The other two in .223 and 6.5 both shoot 1/2"-3/4" @ 100 with handloads. Granted the 308 was purchased 5+ yrs ago and the other two are less than 2 yrs. All 24" heavy barrels. I'm happy enough that I've been thinkin about a .243 to match but I'm not a professional by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes legacy sports. They are active in these threads historically. Post counts used to be single digits but grow.
    Reporting this is a first is insulting. Mis leading. Even "brand "x" has problems. Making things right has value. Honor and value.
    Take what is posted with a grain.

Last edited: