• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa heavy .223?

George Az

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Northern Az
I met a guy selling a Howa heavy barrel .223, pretty sure it is a 1/12 twist. I would a bought it but for the twist, but the price is right at $550. It has had maybe 3 rounds through the bore and there are a couple scratches, but iti is otherwise new. I don't know much about Howa. What say ye? Can I shoot 68 grn out of it? reason I am asking is I have about 400 match of the Hornady 68 grn heads laying around. Looks like a decent gun.

George,
I have a Howa 1500 with 1/10 twist. 30/06 not a heavy barrel. it likes the 170-200gr. shoots consistent 3/8-1/2" groups at 100yds.
I like the trigger. Some complain that it creeps a little, but I don't notice it. Mine seems smooth. All the reviews I read before the purchase said it was very reliable and underrated. It is made in Japan, same factory as the weatherbys. Others don't like the stock, I do. It's grippy even when wet. The recoil pads works pretty well. I don't get punished by any means.
Hope this helps a little.

George, you will not be able to shoot those 68's out of the 1-12. I will say that the howa varmint my buddy had shot really well though. Just have to be content with sub 60gr bullets though.

I have a Howa 1500 too. Very solid right from the box. Tuning these can be a bit of a specialty but once they're running right they're worth it.

Awesome action, decent aftermarket nice rifles oveeall. As for the twist 55 and under will stabilize well, 62 and up will keyhole though least ways they did in my remington sps with a 1:12 twist rate. On the plus side youll get really good at doping wind in a hurry :)