• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa Mini Action ?

JayCarver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Looking at picking up a 223 walk about / coyote rifle / truck gun.

Looking hard at the Howa Mini action. Would cut the barrel back to 18”.

Seems like a really good rifle as I’m a big fan of 2 stage triggers and 3 position safety’s for a rifle with this purpose.

One issue that keeps coming up in my research is the poor magizines… are they as bad as I’m reading? Is there upgrade options?

I’m not interested in a blind magazine conversion.

Had a mini action in 204, and never had a feeding problem with it. The mag release was super sensitive and in a bad location though. It was easy to bump and accidently drop the mag which is no bueno when out walking around.

The stock mags and mag latch are pretty dreadful.

Been a while since I sold mine, but iirc, CDI was the only one that offered an aftermarket bottom metal replacement and unfortunately they are no longer around. There could be others but none that I’m aware of.

You may also consider checking out the JTAC chassis. I know they have a mini action inlet, though I’m not sure if it fixes the mag issue.

I picked one up in 6.5G looking at a 6ARC conversion. The mag issue isn't a mag issue as much of it being an action issue. The opening in the bottom isn't wide enough for an AR15 style mag to fit in. The mag sits too low for the bolt to strip a round. The action is also set up for a center feed, so the left right of a dual stack might complicate things. I haven't looked at AICS mags which would be center feed, but really long. I'll have to look.

So it isn't as 'simple' as getting it into a chassis and using 223 or AICS mags. I don't have it yet, but the MDT chassis I'm getting I think states that they use the HOWA mags.

The stock mags will be ok for your usage. If you want better mags off the shelf, get a pricier CZ 527 or wait for their new release. All of the aftermarket chassis out there use the stock mags…a big miss imo, but they would need custom aics to make it work.

The stock triggers are great with a spring, and the rifles are a well made good value. I built my own chassis and custom aics mags for my minis since I like the actions so much.

The stock bottom metal (or plastic) is junk. I made some Howa 1500 and also Howa mini bottom metal replacements which still use the factory magazine.

Does help a bunch.

Thanks for the input everyone. Really disappointing as it seems like a great action but hindered by the magazines.

Any options other than tikka for a AICS mag fed 223 with a safety that locks the bolt?

PS: I like tikka and have some, just wondering what else is out there.

The stock mags will be ok for your usage. If you want better mags off the shelf, get a pricier CZ 527 or wait for their new release. All of the aftermarket chassis out there use the stock mags…a big miss imo, but they would need custom aics to make it work.

The stock triggers are great with a spring, and the rifles are a well made good value. I built my own chassis and custom aics mags for my minis since I like the actions so much.
Funny, I was looking to 3D print a chassis before I found the MDT chassis on sale.

How did you make the chassis? Did you shorten the AICS mags?

What I really wanted was round and magazine compatability between my ARs and bolt guns by making a 6ARC gun with AR15 mags. Ditching the propreitery HOWA mags for one-off AICS mod mags doesn't seem like an advantage?

I have a couple of Howa minis, and really like them a lot. One of them is still on the factory bottom "metal", while the other is set up with the stuff from DIP; it's nice stuff and works well. Their modified mag release really makes a difference, re: inadvertent mag drops.

As for the mags themselves, the two models that I have (7.62x39, .223) have exhibited no issues for me.

Funny, I was looking to 3D print a chassis before I found the MDT chassis on sale.

How did you make the chassis? Did you shorten the AICS mags?

What I really wanted was round and magazine compatability between my ARs and bolt guns by making a 6ARC gun with AR15 mags. Ditching the propreitery HOWA mags for one-off AICS mod mags doesn't seem like an advantage?

I made printed and machined 6061 chassis. Aics pattern mag -spaced from front to fit mini bottom port. Advantage? Yes, it feeds better, more rounds, normal orientation mag catch, cool/unique. Worth the effort? Maybe.

You could run the ar mag ruger american if that’s your goal.

I have the 223 mini action . I swapped out the plastic trigger housing and mag well for the dpi aluminum bottom metal and done the improved mag release . works great . As far as the magazines go . I paid 36.00nfor my bergara b14r magazines and 32.00 a piece for my mag-pul aics magazines so its really isn't any difference . I haven't put alot of rounds down range yet but it is looking good So far .

4GU15Uo.jpg

I have one in 6.5 Grendel mounted in an Oryx chassis. It feeds fine from the stock magazine and I yet to have an issue with them. To me, they are no different than the Magpul plastic ones. I will say though, the mag catch is in a bad spot and the factory bottom plastic is crap.

If you want a metal magazine for your Howa Mini, look at the bottom metal from Jefferson Outdoors that takes a CZ magazine.

I have one in 6.5 Grendel mounted in an Oryx chassis. It feeds fine from the stock magazine and I yet to have an issue with them. To me, they are no different than the Magpul plastic ones. I will say though, the mag catch is in a bad spot and the factory bottom plastic is crap.
If you want a metal magazine for your Howa Mini, look at the bottom metal from Jefferson Outdoors that takes a CZ magazine.
get the Cz bottom metal conversion!

Same deal as everyone else, mags are terrible. Id just grab a tikka compact and be done with it.
Big difference in the size and weight of a mini action and Standard short action, even the Cz 527 carbine I have is about 5.5 pounds with no scope. It’s just hard to make a short action 5-6 pounds with out a pencil barrel. Overall I like my Howa mini grendel, I have it in a Bell Carlson stock with the DPI bottom metal til the Cz conversion comes back in stock

I have the 223 mini action . I swapped out the plastic trigger housing and mag well for the dpi aluminum bottom metal and done the improved mag release . works great . As far as the magazines go . I paid 36.00nfor my bergara b14r magazines and 32.00 a piece for my mag-pul aics magazines so its really isn't any difference . I haven't put alot of rounds down range yet but it is looking good So far .

4GU15Uo.jpg
I have the identical rifle except it didn't come with the threaded barrel, and was on clearance because of that.

This is my second, the first had the standard weight barrel which I sold to a friend. They both shoot under an inch with my reloads using the Hornady 62 BTHP.

They are fun little rifles and the only downside I find is the spring in the mag release could be a little stronger.

Factory bottom metal/mag set up is pretty garbage, I have to admit.
Of all the cheaper rifles the Howa is the nicest option, certainly nicer than the Remington 783 and Ruger American.

The best thing I've done to mine is add a oversized rubber bolt knob, had a Tikka one I was no longer using.
Made a huge difference to running the action, seemed to give enough extra leverage and grip to make it notably nicer to use.

Compared to a Tikka (my favorite budget rifle) there is no competition the Tikka is far nicer in everyway but for the money the Howa is a pretty nice little rifle.

Reactions: Modoc
Big difference in the size and weight of a mini action and Standard short action, even the Cz 527 carbine I have is about 5.5 pounds with no scope. It’s just hard to make a short action 5-6 pounds with out a pencil barrel. Overall I like my Howa mini grendel, I have it in a Bell Carlson stock with the DPI bottom metal til the Cz conversion comes back in stock
That’s fine but he said truck gun/walk about gun not a western type I’m walking a shit ton gun. Glad you like it, I’d still go tikka.

I had a Howa Mini Action in .223, and did not like it at all. Lousy accuracy with a wide variety of ammo, and as noted above, the mags were very flimsy. The full-size Howas are nice, but I just couldn’t warm up to the Mini Action.

I have a Howa mini and a Ruger American. The howa mini is a great rifle but in the field I can see loosing magazines. I only shoot the Howa on a bench. My Ruger American is my hunting rifle and if I was going to get a 223 with the use you have in mind it would be the Ruger with AR mag capability.

I have a Howa mini and a Ruger American. The howa mini is a great rifle but in the field I can see loosing magazines. I only shoot the Howa on a bench. My Ruger American is my hunting rifle and if I was going to get a 223 with the use you have in mind it would be the Ruger with AR mag capability.
I added the new mag release when I installed the new bottom metal . when installing it changes the orientation of the mag release and clocks the release spring a little tighter . very much improved and well worth the money

Reactions: Romeo458
I had a CZ mini action in 762x39. Really handy little rifle, wish I’d never sold it. Not sure if they still make them, but it was a nice little package.

I had a CZ mini action in 762x39. Really handy little rifle, wish I’d never sold it. Not sure if they still make them, but it was a nice little package.
I have one sitting in a closet, shoot me a PM if you think you might wanna give it a loving home.

I've gone a little bonkers on Howa Mini custom builds - have five of them, all in custom stocks (B&C, Boyds, McMillan) with custom DBM & custom barrels, in 20 Tactical, 223AI, 22 Grendel, 6RAT, and 6.5 Grendel. I've used DIP & Jefferson DBM, and the last rifle I put together (223AI) was on a newer rifle with a different mag release that's highly unlikely to be tripped accidentally (just checked the last two stock factory rifles I have, found the mag release on the newest version is shorter, while one that I've had for a couple of years still has the older, longer mag release). I put this 223AI into the B&C sporter stock w/Jefferson DBM, finished the Krieger #4 barrel at 24", tuned the HACT trigger by trimming about 1-1/2 coils off the trigger return spring, put a Warne 20 MOA sloped scope rail on it, holding a Weaver Super Slam 4-20x50 scope in an old set of el cheapo Weaver low 4x4 rings, then bedded it into the B&C stock. Finished the bbl'd action in CeraKote Armor Black. I like the B&C sporter better than the M40 style - it's just handier, slicker, and the proportions look nicer to my eye. It would look even slicker with Jefferson BDL-style hinged floorplate bottom metal... It's the 1st pic, 6RAT in McMillan Game Scout & 20 Tac in Boyds in 2nd pic, and the CZ527/6RAT in the last photo.

I wasn't aware that Jefferson had come out with the DBM that uses CZ527 mags until I saw it mentioned here. Since CZ recently discontinued the 527, it's hard to say how long the steel 527 mags will be available. I bought a 527 carbine in 7.62x39 about six years ago, and re-barreled it with a Krieger #3 sporter that I chambered for 6RAT - never did get that magazine to feed 100%, but it was a slick & beautiful little rifle, due to its proportions and a very nice Turkish walnut stock that had some nice fiddleback figure - perfect for a walk-about rig. Perhaps going with a Mini in 223 would work perfectly with the CZ mags?

Attachments

• DSC_0305.JPG
    DSC_0305.JPG
    773.9 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC_1171.JPG
    DSC_1171.JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC_0652.JPG
    DSC_0652.JPG
    512.1 KB · Views: 288
I've gone a little bonkers on Howa Mini custom builds - have five of them, all in custom stocks (B&C, Boyds, McMillan) with custom DBM & custom barrels, in 20 Tactical, 223AI, 22 Grendel, 6RAT, and 6.5 Grendel. I've used DIP & Jefferson DBM, and the last rifle I put together (223AI) was on a newer rifle with a different mag release that's highly unlikely to be tripped accidentally (just checked the last two stock factory rifles I have, found the mag release on the newest version is shorter, while one that I've had for a couple of years still has the older, longer mag release). I put this 223AI into the B&C sporter stock w/Jefferson DBM, finished the Krieger #4 barrel at 24", tuned the HACT trigger by trimming about 1-1/2 coils off the trigger return spring, put a Warne 20 MOA sloped scope rail on it, holding a Weaver Super Slam 4-20x50 scope in an old set of el cheapo Weaver low 4x4 rings, then bedded it into the B&C stock. Finished the bbl'd action in CeraKote Armor Black. I like the B&C sporter better than the M40 style - it's just handier, slicker, and the proportions look nicer to my eye. It would look even slicker with Jefferson BDL-style hinged floorplate bottom metal... It's the 1st pic, 6RAT in McMillan Game Scout & 20 Tac in Boyds in 2nd pic, and the CZ527/6RAT in the last photo.

I wasn't aware that Jefferson had come out with the DBM that uses CZ527 mags until I saw it mentioned here. Since CZ recently discontinued the 527, it's hard to say how long the steel 527 mags will be available. I bought a 527 carbine in 7.62x39 about six years ago, and re-barreled it with a Krieger #3 sporter that I chambered for 6RAT - never did get that magazine to feed 100%, but it was a slick & beautiful little rifle, due to its proportions and a very nice Turkish walnut stock that had some nice fiddleback figure - perfect for a walk-about rig. Perhaps going with a Mini in 223 would work perfectly with the

I wasn't aware that Jefferson had come out with the DBM that uses CZ527 mags until I saw it mentioned here. Since CZ recently discontinued the 527, it's hard to say how long the steel 527 mags will be available. I bought a 527 carbine in 7.62x39 about six years ago, and re-barreled it with a Krieger #3 sporter that I chambered for 6RAT - never did get that magazine to feed 100%, but it was a slick & beautiful little rifle, due to its proportions and a very nice Turkish walnut stock that had some nice fiddleback figure - perfect for a walk-about rig. Perhaps going with a Mini in 223 would work perfectly with the CZ mags?
Sir, I am in a bunch of groups for mini actions an we are trying to get as many 6.5 Grendel mini owners as we can to get MDT TO make mags if you would email [email protected]. And tell them to make the mini in 6.5 Grendel it would be awesome. And pass the word!

Attachments

• 3F267DFF-9648-4127-B3EB-1FDEC44F39CF.png
    3F267DFF-9648-4127-B3EB-1FDEC44F39CF.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 136
  • F2F4300F-18F9-4CF6-9310-C2A4CD31E05A.png
    F2F4300F-18F9-4CF6-9310-C2A4CD31E05A.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 134
  • E39D17A0-8FDB-4BF7-9D97-D8C458191C57.png
    E39D17A0-8FDB-4BF7-9D97-D8C458191C57.png
    330 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: DedicatedShooter