• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How'd I do?

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
I am sure I am not the only one that "got the urge" after following @pmclaine post "Damn! Bought and M1A...."

I have always wanted an M1 Garand from the WWII era, and had done some research, but hit some road blocks, and it was put on the back burner.

Anyways, fast forward to last week, or so, and it is all I can think about. I did my research, but the main source "The M1 Garand,1936-1957" is still on it's way. So after a ton of time on the CMP forums and other internet sources, I finally find a receiver dating 2.5 mill (early 1944) with (?) Original barrel (also early '44). Along with the correct milled round hole trigger guard, it seemed to fit the bill, so I bought it, and t should be in town Tuesday.

The only bummer was that the stock had 0 cartouche on it. Which sounds to be very common. Anyways, I wanted some more history, so I looked on gun broker and Ebay and eventually found what seemed to be a perfect match?!

It has S.A./G.A.W. along with crossed cannons (both the larger and small one on the bottomed of the grip), as well as A.A.Y (Agusta Arsenal), circled P proof, and a rack number (?) well as a 7 T under the but stock.

Anyways, so the book is still on the way, but I felt confident enough to take a chance and risk getting a fake, since I can not imagine any seller taking the time to mic out the dimensions of all the markings. But now that it is here the sizes seem to match up. What do you think? I am prepared for the sad brutal truth.

20200117_150210.jpg

20200117_143433.jpg

20200117_143506.jpg

20200117_143522.jpg
20200117_143526.jpg

20200117_143556.jpg

20200117_143546.jpg

Last edited:
The biggest thing is that all the patina, dings, overall age appearance is consistent on all the markings and parts. I would not hesitate to call it all original and fairly nice.

I think you did well, I would sell my left nut for that stock. It looks good, really good. Nice score. As others have said, the patina and that beautiful scratch going through the bottom corner of the cartouche under the W. I haven't looked at garand parts in years so I am no expert or experienced anymore but it seemed the fakes always had a heavily sanded cartouche that was clean. I think you did well.

If you ever find an Earl McFarland (EMCF) m1 stock let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: mzvarner
Thanks gents! This is what I was hoping for! But like we all say "knowing my luck...". The patina looks really even and no obvious questionable Mark's. One of my biggest concerns is the semi circle around the "P" on the hand guard?

Cant wait for the rifle to come home. Per UPS it landed here early this morning!

20200205_101814.jpg
20200205_101802.jpg

Oddly enough I found 48 stamped on the bottom of the bullet guide (?) Which happens to match the 48 stamped on the stock.

20200205_095148.jpg
20200205_095000.jpg
20200205_093907.jpg
20200205_093833.jpg
20200205_093815.jpg

Go
20200205_094114.jpg

No go
20200205_094247.jpg

Field
20200205_094345.jpg

Reactions: sandwarrior
Great score on the stock. Now comes hours of work to steam out the dings and refinish it. Are you trying to make the rifle all "correct"?

I would leave the stock as is...the finish on the stock is decent tand the dings are part of it’s history. Rub in some raw linseed oil and call it good.

Steaming the stock will raise some of the dent, but it will always be dented...then you will need to sand. That stock is in decent shape, I wouldn’t mess with it.

What he ^^^^^ said!

That's a sweet piece of history.

Rub in some fresh pure linseed oil.

If your hands appear to be getting dirty as you oil the stock use papertowels to remove this grime the oil is floating away.

Realize that grime is sweat, blood and tears from a history of use.

Under the grime you will find a sweet tobacco brown/red wood that no amount of finishing will replicate with out decades of service and a couple of wars.

Brought the M1A to work today and will shoot after work assuming no OT.

Brought some S&B, M80 clone ammo, not expecting tight groups.

I have no intention of sanding or steaming. I had not considered rubbing more oil in tho. At this point I just really want to get out and shoot it.

I did install the correct type 2 locking bar rear sight and bolt. But really that's about as far as I am going to go for now. These military collectors can be one hell of a rabbit hole.

Reactions: Dan M
I have no intention of sanding or steaming. I had not considered rubbing more oil in tho. At this point I just really want to get out and shoot it.

I did install the correct type 2 locking bar rear sight and bolt. But really that's about as far as I am going to go for now. These military collectors can be one hell of a rabbit hole.
Agreed. As a youngster I tried restoring guns to their original type parts...after completion and doing the math, I just focused on buying original rifles. As pmclaine said, an application of raw linseed oil will remove accumulated grime out of the pores of the wood. Your wood looks really nice right now, fresh oil wouldn’t hurt.

Nice thing about these, especially if you get them from the CMP, is that they are correct.

So you have a WWII receiver with T105 sights......that change was likely made by a GI armorer in a GI rebuild process than handed out to someone for use in service.

Sure you could use a Duff book and change all the details to its as it left the armory specifications but its just a rifle the collector put together. and in its reorganized construction never saw a day of service.

All sorts of different avenues you can take regards old guns.

Most fun thing to do is just shoot it and enjoy it.

My latest mil surp buy......of course the receiver will never be GI but most other parts are. Ive been hitting this one with raw linseed oil, still has a ways to go......

p1019169-jpg.7251202

p1019170-jpg.7251203

p1019172-jpg.7251205