• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howdy

gary55

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
I live in Ft. Worth and work in Grapevine. I have been shooting since I was 7. I have property in East Texas where I do all my shooting. I have been interested in shooting LR for a while but never dove in due to costs. Now I'm wading in. I'm here to read and learn. Thanks for having me.
Gary

Welcome to the hide Gary, all the information you need to pursue LR. shooting to whatever level you want is here, as for cost it's like anything else. You can spend a lot or a nominal amount, it depends on your goals,wants or needs only you can make that call. As for making that decision all I can say is for about the first six months or so all I did was read,read some more and learn about what all it takes to do so. Read the sticky's a lot of good info. in those, good luck and be safe.
Brian.

Thanks Brian. I have read lots here already. I plan to read/study much more. I came to learn. I find much more info is gathered by listening rather than talking so I won't be really active here visually for a while if ever. I'm currently trying to gather info on optics. I shoot a 308 that will eventually re-barrel to 6.5CM with a Redfield (made in Japan) on top I got several years back. It's a great scope, crystal clear with fine hairs, but I will need/want a scope that has adjust-ability. I'm currently staying in a 4 inch group at 300 but what about dropping back to 100, and then out 400. I know scopes exist that have turrets and will re-zero somehow but I know nothing about them. Hence my presence here.
Gary

You're going to pull your hair out trying to figure out which scope to buy,within the last 5 to 10 years the advances in optics has exploded in so many ways that picking an optic will probably be your toughest decision. they range in price from 100 dollars to 5000+ , I have a budget scope that normally runs about 400 dollars but you can get it on sale at midway from time to time for 300 dollars. It's a weaver tactical grand slam 3x10x40 with a 1 inch tube and second focal plane, it is a mil/mil which means the mil dot cross hairs match the mil knobs. this is a base optic for dialing for windage and elevation with repeatability, it works good for my switch from old school duplex sighted in at 100 yards and holding for wind/elev. You'll get there bud, just pick what fits your needs and budget for now, believe me that will change as you go.

Thanks Brian. All the available info here is great. The guys who know are here and I'm sure will answer questions and that's great. What's not great is I can read until my eyes give up and turn around backwards to get away from the screen but it doesn't give me hands on. I guess after I've read all I can stand I can go to SWFA which is about 40 minutes from my house and get my hands on. I have Cabelas 15 minutes from me but most of those old retired guys that work there know less about the firearms they are selling than I do. I can't imagine they are optics experts. All's good though, on my budget I have plenty of time to research before I buy. Mamma don't gimme too much money, and that's a good thing, I'd blow it all on guns and ammo.
Gary