• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How's the quality at PTR lately?

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
I'm interested in a PTR32 in 7.62x39 but I've heard that PTR has changed hands so many times that their quality is hit-and-miss (pun intended). Does anybody have recent experience with them, particularly with the PTR32? I'm always hopeful that whoever owns them lately has straightened things out.

My PTR runs like a champ. I have the 9CT. American made and they claim lifetime warranty, which I haven’t needed so can’t attest to ease or quality of warranty work. I also want that 32P, but it’s not high on the priority list right now.

I think the 7.62x39 would be a great cartridge for this rifle. The rifle is a bit heavy but with the roller delayed system, it should be a joy to shoot and give great accuracy. Also, given that much of the ammo is steel cased I don't care what itdoes to the cases. My PTR-91 pretty much wrecks about half the brass 308 cases I shoot to the point I can't reload them.

My ~ 2016 PTR has also ran great. Accuracy was a little less than I'd hoped for, but it hasn't ever failed me.

I’m running a PTR-9kt as a sear host and it is near flawless. Dropped in an 80 degree locking piece and verified bolt gap. No more attention required. One of my favorites.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I think the 7.62x39 would be a great cartridge for this rifle. The rifle is a bit heavy but with the roller delayed system, it should be a joy to shoot and give great accuracy. Also, given that much of the ammo is steel cased I don't care what itdoes to the cases. My PTR-91 pretty much wrecks about half the brass 308 cases I shoot to the point I can't reload them.

I would not go into it expecting great accuracy.
Think the accuracy level of the PTR-91 then go a bit less for using bulk 7.62x39 ammo.

Now if you can afford the $40k for a sear, the PTR stuff makes great sear hosts that you can blast away with until you wear them out.

Reactions: Texascbr
I just took delivery of a new PTR32 in 7.62x39. All looks better than I expected, the welds the overall quality. There is one glaring exception. What in gods name is that crud in the barrel?! This is a new gun. The black molasses crap is uncleanable. After an incredible amount of scrubbing just about everything I can think of, I've barely made a dent. The bolt was really nicely machined and clean with the exception of the bolt face. It was crudded up as well but I was able to get to access it and scrape it out to a reasonable degree.

I have one of those cheap Teslong borescopes and I can see that it's not corrosion or rust. The metal is not encrusted and seems to be fine. However, whatever is covering the bore is really tough. I haven't shot the gun yet so I'm hoping that running some rounds through it will run this glue out. Maybe the heat and friction of about 200 quick rounds of Russia's worst will convince it to evacuate the premises.

I'm open to suggestions...

I am not sure how well the new 32s are coming out but a long time ago they made a run of 32s with bolts that were not heat treated properly. I would be cautious about a used one. I had a hell of a time just buying a replacement bolt. I don't think it was an issue of them not wanting to help, but them just being poorly managed, under staffed, and more interested in selling new guns than servicing existing owners.

PTR is good to go these days, but the lack of even nitriding the barrel keeps me from being a buyer. Their 9mm stuff is nitrided, but not the rifle calibers.

Hmm. Might have to make a phone call to PTR and verify which current production rifles have nitrided barrels. Just when I thought I was swearing off 308...
I just took delivery of a PTR32 and was talking to them about offering a chrome-lined or Nitred barrel. They said they were looking into both options. That was just a few days ago. At this time, PTR does not Nitride its rifle barrels. It may look like it but they are untreated steel.

I just called PTR trying to find out what kind of crap might be in this barrel. They actually came up with an intelligent answer. It might be powder coat. They plug the barrels but if one of the plugs falls out and they don't catch it, the powder coat can get into the barrel and get baked onto the inside. Well, that could very well be what happened. That's kind of what this gunk looks like.

Reactions: JS8588
I just called PTR trying to find out what kind of crap might be in this barrel. They actually came up with an intelligent answer. It might be powder coat. They plug the barrels but if one of the plugs falls out and they don't catch it, the powder coat can get into the barrel and get baked onto the inside. Well, that could very well be what happened. That's kind of what this gunk looks like.
Guess they really ought to look at a different finish option

Reactions: Constructor
How many times has PTR been sold in the last 10 years?
They moved to SC in 2013 or 14, my receiver is stamped SC.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCP

Like I said hit or miss

You'll have to send it back

Like I said hit or miss

You'll have to send it back
When you're right, you're right. I've made arrangements to return it. They've already sent me a UPS label. I took a video using my Teslong borescope but it's 22mb so I think it's too large to post. The inside of this barrel looks like a sewer pipe.
I have to say there was absolutely no issue whatsoever returning it. They were extremely understanding. I don't l don't know what they're going to do. I don't think the barrel is repairable and replacing it is a labor nightmare.

I must have got a good one, mine shoots about 1.5 MOA with 149gr surplus and a little better with the 130gr MK319. The Springfield M1A I purchased around the same time shot more like 3 MOA.

I must have got a good one, mine shoots about 1.5 MOA with 149gr surplus and a little better with the 130gr MK319. The Springfield M1A I purchased around the same time shot more like 3 MOA.
I'm not saying it won't shoot. You've seen rifles with iffy barrels shoot well, I'm sure. However, I always clean a new rifle before I shoot it and when I saw what came out of the barrel on this I looked at it with my borescope. After seeing what the condition of the bore was I decided not to shoot it and send it back. Heck, it may shoot great. I doubt it though. I suspect it will leave half the jacket it the barrel and foul like crazy.half

Reactions: Constructor
IIRC the HK roller delayed blowback mechanism contains more mass, in every caliber, than other systems like the FAL or AR or AK. So, in addition to recoil, you get heftier bolt movement in the HK than other systems. This might not matter depending on what you value.

-Stan

After staring at the video of the Teslong borescope. I'm pretty well convinced they shot it with corrosive ammo, didn't clean it, or didn't clean it well enough, and then packed it and stored it. The barrel is fairly eaten up. I wish they offered chrome-lined barrels. With much of 7.62-39 ammo being poisonous it would really help.