• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HS Precision HTR Review in 223

blr

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2011
While this is my first post on this forum, I recognize more than a couple of people from a few other forums (mostly 1911forum.com).

Rifle Details:
HS Precision 2000SA, Heavy Tactical Rifle - 26” Fluted HTR Weight Barrel, Cal 223 (1-9” Twist)
McCann Rail – Vortex Viper 6-24x EBR Scope
Intended Use: Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, Coyotes (25-400yrd)
Trigger spec’d at 2lbs (It measures 2 1/8th lbs).
Initial Impressions:

Definitely a nice rifle. The action is on par with the limited production shops in terms of smoothness and straightness. While there are stiffer actions, there aren’t many that can fit into a 700 stock. The action capitalizes on the inherent advantages (manufacturing and use) of both the 70 and 700. Some piccies:

2011-11-08_15-43-02_418.jpg

2011-11-08_15-45-01_300.jpg

2011-11-08_15-43-14_170.jpg

The bottom metal is quite nice. The detachable magazine is secure and easy to load – and feeds smoothly with no hang-ups.

Scope Impressions. I brought along a Leupold Mk4 M1 8-25x for comparison. Clarity is roughly comparable. I do like the reticle. Overall, this is a good value for a $750 scope thus far. The question of durability remains to be answered though (not that a 223 will be abusive, but an identical rifle in 338LM is enroute as I type this).

2011-11-08_15-45-16_239.jpg

For side by side comparisions.

Shooting Impressions. As the barrel needed break-in, there isn’t many “groups for score” as I’d like. So, a teaser:

2011-11-09_09-47-07_967.jpg

Shot a 200yrds using 55g Hornady V-Max bullets over Varget. Brass was fully prep’ed – weight separated to within 0.5g, but not neck turned. Not bad. Easily a 0.5MOA gun out to 200yrds. Slight horizontal spread from wind, good vertical spread. The 10-X barrels are first rate. This one has the standard HS crown, which is very well done.

2011-11-08_15-46-51_254.jpg

3 round group (I typically prefer 10 round groups, but as this is breakin…) at 100yrds. Definitely a promising rifle!
Overall Impressions. This is without a doubt a first rate rig. The trigger is great. I like HS stocks, and the HTR stock is a varmint rifle stock without equal (to me). The gun shoots great, especially for not being truly bedded in the stock. The first modification to this rifle will be skin bedding the stock. I think all said and done, I can squeeze another 1/8MOA out of bedding – and on a less than 1/2MOA gun, that isn’t insignificant. I have few, minor gripes. I’d like a beefier bold. I’d also like a thicker recoil lug – I love the Holland ground stainless steel lug. I’d also like the trigger to be externally adjustable. But when it comes from the factory at the desired weight, I can’t complain too much. Here is my biggest complaint – I wish they’d send the rifle in a hard case big enough for a scope. The current case fits the HTR perfectly, only without a scope.

The acid test: Would I buy another? Absolutely. I actually bought 2 more, one in 308 and one in 338LM. I have very high expectations for them.

Cheers!

Bill

Re: HS Precision HTR Review in 223

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While this is my first post on this forum, I recognize more than a couple of people from a few other forums (mostly 1911forum.com).

Rifle Details:
HS Precision 2000SA, Heavy Tactical Rifle - 26” Fluted HTR Weight Barrel, Cal 223 (1-9” Twist)
McCann Rail – Vortex Viper 6-24x EBR Scope
Intended Use: Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, Coyotes (25-400yrd)
Trigger spec’d at 2lbs (It measures 2 1/8th lbs).
Initial Impressions:

Definitely a nice rifle. The action is on par with the limited production shops in terms of smoothness and straightness. While there are stiffer actions, there aren’t many that can fit into a 700 stock. The action capitalizes on the inherent advantages (manufacturing and use) of both the 70 and 700. Some piccies:

2011-11-08_15-43-02_418.jpg

2011-11-08_15-45-01_300.jpg

2011-11-08_15-43-14_170.jpg

The bottom metal is quite nice. The detachable magazine is secure and easy to load – and feeds smoothly with no hang-ups.

Scope Impressions. I brought along a Leupold Mk4 M1 8-25x for comparison. Clarity is roughly comparable. <span style="font-weight: bold">Adjustment is less precise on the Vortex, being roughly 1/3MOA rather than the advertised 1/4MOA. As long as it is constant, the represents little compromise.</span> I do like the reticle. Overall, this is a good value for a $750 scope thus far. The question of durability remains to be answered though (not that a 223 will be abusive, but an identical rifle in 338LM is enroute as I type this).

2011-11-08_15-45-16_239.jpg

For side by side comparisions.

Shooting Impressions. As the barrel needed break-in, there isn’t many “groups for score” as I’d like. So, a teaser:

2011-11-09_09-47-07_967.jpg

Shot a 200yrds using 55g Hornady V-Max bullets over Varget. Brass was fully prep’ed – weight separated to within 0.5g, but not neck turned. Not bad. Easily a 0.5MOA gun out to 200yrds. Slight horizontal spread from wind, good vertical spread. The 10-X barrels are first rate. This one has the standard HS crown, which is very well done.

2011-11-08_15-46-51_254.jpg

3 round group (I typically prefer 10 round groups, but as this is breakin…) at 100yrds. Definitely a promising rifle!
Overall Impressions. This is without a doubt a first rate rig. The trigger is great. I like HS stocks, and the HTR stock is a varmint rifle stock without equal (to me). The gun shoots great, especially for not being truly bedded in the stock. The first modification to this rifle will be skin bedding the stock. I think all said and done, I can squeeze another 1/8MOA out of bedding – and on a less than 1/2MOA gun, that isn’t insignificant. I have few, minor gripes. I’d like a beefier bold. I’d also like a thicker recoil lug – I love the Holland ground stainless steel lug. I’d also like the trigger to be externally adjustable. But when it comes from the factory at the desired weight, I can’t complain too much. Here is my biggest complaint – I wish they’d send the rifle in a hard case big enough for a scope. The current case fits the HTR perfectly, only without a scope.

The acid test: Would I buy another? Absolutely. I actually bought 2 more, one in 308 and one in 338LM. I have very high expectations for them.

Cheers!

Bill

</div></div>

The 1/3moa adjustment is not good. How did you tell that it was not 1/4moa? Did u compare adjustments to the reticle? You might want to do a tracking test on the scope across its full range of adjustment to find out if it tracks ok.

Prior to mounting the scope on the rifle, I took it to a 100yrd range to test. The scope was mounted in it's rings onto the fixture which was clamped to the bench. Using a 1/4" grid as the background, the adjustment was tracked at 0.5", 1", 5" and 10" in both x and y directions. Fortunately, no cross talk was seen with the adjustment, just an inaccurate (but fairly precise) adjustment. Then a larger accuracy measurement was made using a known accurate 48" bar (aluminum, 1.5" diameter).

I'm not disappointed, considering the price. $750 is cheap for a scope with decent glass. I'll trade some accuracy in the knobs for better glass any day, as long as the windage/elevation dont cross talk.

Cheers!

I'd send the scope back to correct the problem. Vortex will accommodate. Or at least I'd hope so.

Sounds like MRAD adjustments.
Can you mark it 3.6 inches at 100 and see if that is the case?

It may be nothing more than mis-marked turrets. I'm sure they would send you the correct turrets if that was the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like MRAD adjustments.
Can you mark it 3.6 inches at 100 and see if that is the case?

It may be nothing more than mis-marked turrets. I'm sure they would send you the correct turrets if that was the case. </div></div>

Good point - I hadn't thought of that. Honestly, I really didnt have that high of an expectation for a scope in this price range.

I think this begs more scrutiny.

Dude, dude, dude, u want one in 300 win mag?? I will sell you mine for 2500 shipped. Complete with a punisher skull painted on the cheek rest. ????

As suggested, it is the MRAD scope...

Shoulda paid more attention!

Original post fixed...

I have an HS HTR 20" 308.
I did not like the way the adj stock rattled.
I sold it and the factory DBM. Bought a Manners MCS-TA with the mini-chassis.

Mine shoots FGMM 168 1/2 moa. Factory test target in exactly .250".
I have been working on loads on and off for a few months with little success. I gave in and got some Redding Comp dies, hopefully that will help.
As you stated, the factory trigger is very nice, breaks at 2.1/ 2.2lbs everytime.
Bolt is smooth, extractor has worked flawless.

I'd like a companion for it in 223.

Not a complaint for me due to the intended purpose - the ejector to the tactical guys might be "weak". It will leave brass in the ejection port, which I like for bench and varmint hunting. Dont really appreciate an ejector that flings my prep'ed brass out into the weeds!

A call to HS indicated they'd be happy to adjust that, but like I said, for me its perfect.

Cheers!

PS-CSS, you might want to adjust your seating depth-I like contact with the lands. And give Berger 155g VLDs over 44g of Varget a try. Works exceptionally well for me.

Right now I'm working with the 155 lapuas.
I have an extremely tight chamber so I am maxing out pressure usually about 2 gr short of book loads.

Just been busy with other stuff lately and it has got put on the back burner for now.

I have had a HTR in 308 for 6 years and it has been the best rifle I have owned. The action is smooth and have never had a feeding issue It shoot s sub 1/2 with 168 FGMM all day long. I liked the stock so much that I have put one on my 338 Lapua Mag, and looking to get another one for my 6.5 x 55 build. ( #PST026 )

More piccies:

IMG-20111115-00021.jpg

IMG-20111115-00024.jpg

IMG-20111115-00026.jpg

IMG-20111115-00027.jpg

IMG-20111115-00029.jpg

And the important stuff:

IMG-20111115-00033.jpg

IMG-20111115-00034.jpg

5 shot groups, Berger 70g VLDs over Benchmark at 200yrds. The rifle will mostly see 55g VMax's though.

I really am quite pleased with the rifle and HS-P. They made changes to her pretty late in the game, and were generally quite accommodating.

The HTR stock is VERY solid too. It's my favorite varmint style stock. The adjustments are smooth and tight.

Cheers!

ETA - for those that saw my original post: The turrets say 1 click = 1MRAD right on them ....