• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HS Precision stock

rockn30809

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2009
GA
I put a HS 5R take off stock on my VTR and the barrel runs to one side of the channel instead of center. What would be the best way of opening the channel up? I was figuring sandpaper and a dowel but didn't know if there was a easier way.

Re: HS Precision stock

If its the newer 700 with the X-Mark trigger you will need to do a little additional inletting to clear the trigger .

Not much,I used a Bridgeport , but a Dremel will work easily.

If its not due to the trigger,and you have no mill , I've made barrel channel scrapers from ground washers and threaded rod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultramag Brion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If its the newer 700 with the X-Mark trigger you will need to do a little additional inletting to clear the trigger .</div></div>

I just pulled the action from the stock and can't see where there is any interference with the trigger, trigger and safety both work fine. Can you let me know what it is I need to be looking for in case I missed it. I noticed the channel was shaped different on the side that was close to the barrel. I sanded some and it helped but need to take a little more off.

I didnt notice at first either , but lo and behold , there was interference with the new style trigger.
This is a shot of my own HS DBM stock and the areas I milled to fit the SPS varmint guts I put into her (with an X-mark trigger)

No doubt , I milled alot more than I needed to , but nothing was weakened and she's a tack driver out to 1000 yds with 180gr SMKs over 44.5gs of Varget.

xmarkstockmods007.jpg

Ultramag Brion said:
I didnt notice at first either , but lo and behold , there was interference with the new style trigger.
This is a shot of my own HS DBM stock and the areas I milled to fit the SPS varmint guts I put into her (with an X-mark trigger)

No doubt , I milled alot more than I needed to , but nothing was weakened and she's a tack driver out to 1000 yds with 180gr SMKs over 44.5gs of Varget.

I'll check it out tomorrow. Got to head out to work. Thanks for the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rockn30809</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a HS 5R take off stock on my VTR and the barrel runs to one side of the channel instead of center. What would be the best way of opening the channel up? I was figuring sandpaper and a dowel but didn't know if there was a easier way. </div></div>

I had the same exact thing with my 700P and the channel- luckily with the HS P stocks, at least the M24 style ones, the material is quite simple to sand down. I carefully made it match up, then rounded off the lip to make it look smooth and match the other side. A little black permanent marker and gun oil made it look perfect.

When Remington had to replace my action and barrel to help me diagnose a problem, lo and behold it was a little uneven again in the same stock, so out came the sandpaper, now it's even once more. They're not made perfectly to match up and I think a lot of them come that way (anyone else here might be able to confirm with their own.) Note- the action and trigger always fit fine and had no problems. I'm talking solely about the barrel within the channel.

Your problem is a common one. Bed it into the stock, using a doughnut of tape to keep the barrel centered.

Like mentioned above the trigger could be hitting the stock.

The recoil lug could be on the barreled action crooked and this will cause the rifle to push to one side.

The Remington action is not perfectly round. The bedding block is not perfectly straight.

The barrel is over torqued and has slightly crushed the lug, action, and or barrel shoulder.

The barrel is factory bent (yes bent) and is running to one side.

There can be lots of things that cause this but the easy fix is to sand the channel after checking the trigger fit.

To get the lug straight would require the barrel to be loosened and re-torqued holding the lug in the proper position.

Bedding will help the action and bedding block matting surface.

Crushed barrel shoulder, lug, or action will require a lathe to fix.

Here is what I found this morning. I must have a newer stock cause it has been opened up around the trigger, no rubbing anywhere. The action was rubbing the aluminum block behind the bolt right by the "F", I took a file and made some room there. I sanded the channel some and made a little more room for the barrel. I plan on getting some work done on the rifle at a later date so if there are any other problems I'll have them taken care of then. Thanks for everyone's help.