• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing HS Precision Swivel Studs

HellsCanyonArmory

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
Idaho
www.facebook.com
A newbie question, but searching through the google search engine and site search features haven't yielded any results nor has contacting HS Precision themselves.

Bought a HS Precision PSS stock here on the hide with the full aluminum bedding block. Finally have my rifle built and shooting and have not found any swivel studs at three different sporting goods stores that fit the stock (Uncle Mike's mostly). Anybody have a source? Thanks

Mike

Re: HS Precision Swivel Studs

Nobody's go nothin huh? I've tried four different sporting goods stores in 3 cities in 2 states and haven't found any studs. Everybody just use the ones that came with their stock from HS or....??

brownells or midway doesnt have what you seek? they come in all types, metal threads and wood threads.

midway does not have them listed specifically for stocks or specific thread count. I'll try Brownells but was hoping someone here would be able to give me an "easy button" of an answer that came from personal experience. Thanks

Mike

Hey Mike,
I have run into the same problem. Let me double check my notes on the threads. I was mounting a rail on the front of one of my HS stocks and ran into the exact same problem. Its very close to the wrong thread, I can tell you that.

Also, if I remember right, the stud on the rear was different than the studs in the front.

I'll get back with you.

mike

#10-32 for the front studs. I'm not sure on the rear, I'll check in the morning. I removed the studs after I installed some flush cups in the stock.

And that's the same thread pitch used on the Atlas Bi-Pod clamping screws.

FYI, M5-.80 is close but will strip the threads if you force it. Or so I'm told.
wink.gif

Mike

i need one more for the front of my PSS stock. only have one in front and one in back, but mine seem to be the same thread pitch for front two and back.

I checked both of my HS Stocks this morning and both take a different stud for the rear. It seems to be 24 threads per inch on the rear stud. This is with the studs they both came with and both are Savage stocks, although that shouldn't make a difference.

mike

UPDATE:

Called and talked to HS Precision today. It seems that they changed their thread pitch for their swivel studs two years ago. So stocks older than two years require one type, while newer stocks require a different type. I wasn't sure how old my stock was so the representative decided to send me a set of 3 studs for BOTH types of stud inserts for the price of one! Total cost with shipping is $7.50! Should ship out tomorrow! GREAT customer service from HS on this one! Thanks for the help guys. He didn't mention what type of pitch was for each, just that one was coarser and one was finer (I believe the finer pitch is for the newer stocks).

Mike