• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HS PSS stock

Helidriver

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Surprise, AZ
My 700P is off at GAP to get some magic dust sprinkled on it. I decided to stick with the HS stock for the build. When I got the rifle I was really pleased with the feel of it and I felt no reason to change it.

Last weekend I was speaking with some guys at the range and they really didn't like the idea of a GAP built rifle with a HS stock. At the time it didn't really get to me but now I'm starting to wonder.

What's your opinion on the HS stock?

Re: HS PSS stock

When you get it back I'm sure you will have a sub MOA rifle just like anything else that comes back from GAP. Don't let all the McMillan junkies scare you =P

I love the H&S stock that came on my 700P as well. If you are comfortable with that stock, then keep it.

Here here. I have tried the more vertical grip stocks and I keep coming back to my trusty HS-P on my 700. I really, truly love it. And hey, it was good enough for the M24
smile.gif

One modification I did do and was utterly pleased with was weighting the buttstock. It's hollow, so you can fill it with a mixture of lead shot and epoxy. At that point, it absorbs a lot of recoil and becomes well balanced for offhand shooting, etc.

Have fun!

I dont mind my HS stock on my 700P. Its very simple, and the palm swell is a nice feature to get you shooting with those finger tips.

I find that I get alot of noise that travels up thru the stock that my right ear picks up when i shoot... not sure what it is, could be reverb from the bipod coming up thru the hollow stock.

I will soon be replacing my HS stock with an AICS when it decides to turn up... been waiting 3 months now.

Im hoping that the AICS is an improvement over the HS, because hey out here in australia, these AI chasis systems cost $2000 AU... for all you americans thats about $1800 US!!

Yeh, exactly!

But yeh if I HAD to change the stock, my feelings would be either with an AICS or McMillan A3-5 with solid adjustable cheekpiece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Last weekend I was speaking with some guys at the range and they really didn't like the idea of a GAP built rifle with a HS stock. At the time it didn't really get to me but now I'm starting to wonder.

What's your opinion on the HS stock? </div></div>

Wow, "some guys" influence can be pretty strong. Peer pressure is what gets good kids to do bad things in life. I see it alot at work.

....rant off

I've gone the HS route before, only to buy a McMillan later. There really is no comparison imo.

My introduction to serious precision shooting was on basically a McMillan HTG (M40A1). At the time I did very well with it. The PSS stock has a similar contour but has a swell to it that I personally found uncomfortable (probably because I have small hands). I've since fired rifles that have a grip contour similar to the HTG but discovered that the more "vertical" grip on... say an A4 or A5 has enabled me to tighten my groups considerably. Nothing against HS Precision in particular. I just really like having a larger, more vertical grip. For some reason when I'm able to move my hand down the grip I have more trigger control.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 700P is off at GAP to get some magic dust sprinkled on it. I decided to stick with the HS stock for the build. When I got the rifle I was really pleased with the feel of it and I felt no reason to change it.

What's your opinion on the HS stock? </div></div>

if you like it, are comfortable with it and can shoot good with it, fuck what other people say about it. it is not their rifle and they won't be the ones shooting it. if i was feeling more social (or maybe argumentative
grin.gif
), i'd ask them what exactly were their FIRST HAND experience with hsp stocks. certainly they had some FIRST HAND experience and didn't base their opinion off of the opinion of someone else on the internet or a author of a magazine article.

I actually just went from an AICS 2.0 to a HS 700p takeoff stock for my .308 setup. After 10 rounds to get adjusted, it groups exactly the same (really well FYI
wink.gif
).

On a personal note, I really, really, REALLY like the AICS but IMO for a .308 it is too heavy. When/if I build a .300WM it will go in an AICS, but for .308 I'm pretty satisfied with the HS. For now...

-X

Like a bunch of the others I saw no reason to change stocks on my pss. Its always been a comfortable with my hs. I recently did some work to my rifle and afterward painted the stock and installed flush cups to the front and rear on the left side and the new sling location was one of the greatest mods I could have don to the rifle. "One of".

Thanks for your input guys. I like the stock and I'm happy with my decision to keep it.

Got a call from GAP today and the rifle is done!!! I had the action trued, new Bartlein #7 barrel, bedding, M5 install, bolt stop mod and refinish. I will post pics when it gets here.

Everyone always thinks their opinions are the most important but reality the opinion that matters is the one that makes you comfortable. Yes the Mcmillan is an awesomely comfortable stock and so is the HS. I use both and you have to decide what is comfortable for you not Joe Schmoe down the block. And yes I own an A5 and use the HS at work

GAP built mine on an HS PSS stock.

I don't want to change the stock, it "fits". I'm hoping to have a .260 rem built soon....on another hs stock. If same applies to you, you'll have no regrets.

100_0001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arrrrgh15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP built mine on an HS PSS stock.

I don't want to change the stock, it "fits". I'm hoping to have a .260 rem built soon....on another hs stock. If same applies to you, you'll have no regrets.

100_0001.jpg
</div></div>

Nice!! I hope mine turns out as good as yours. What barrel did you use on your build?

24" bartlein, #7 contour, threaded for suppressor.

photo was from the summer 09 reade range match, i took 2nd place and believe that was the only .308 in the top 5.

if gap builds it, it'll shoot. I'll bet they could bed a rifle in a 2x4 and still have a shooter.

good luck.

Agreed, guys. The first thing i did when i bought my Remington 700P was mail it off to GAP for accurizing. they did a fine job, and i kept the PSS stock too. it fits me well, i like it, and i saw no reason to change it either. the rifle shoots very well, and still looks like a stock PSS.

If i had it to do over again, i would do just as i did the first time. not everyone likes the PSS stock but it fits me well and i do like it. didnt see any reason to pay for a new stock when i really liked the old stock.

Now if i could just afford the glass i wanted, the project will be done. oh well, just gotta keep savin' pennies....

Paulus

I like my HS PSS stock too. Very comfortable for me. Only thing I do is epoxy the studs to keep them from loosening.

Mack,

I never thought of that. my rear one is a bit loose, and you just gave me the fix. Thanks!!!!

Paulus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paulus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mack,

I never thought of that. my rear one is a bit loose, and you just gave me the fix. Thanks!!!!

Paulus </div></div>

Glad I could help. I use JB Weld on all of the studs, and have never had any come loose.

The stock they use on the HS-Precision Pro Series 2000 HTR is a VERY nice stock. I don't know how much more vertical you can get before you start going backwards. I don't know what it is, but the PST052 stock is uncommon but it is a great stock! In my opinion there isn't one stock better then the other. It's preference

http://www.hsprecision.com/shop/stocks/pst/pst052.html

i love mine, i used wood glue to set the studs in...worked good for me