• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report HSM 308 210 berger loaded ammo...?

IW21

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2013
Where ever the work is
So I came across SEVERAL boxes of these at roughly $18 a piece...so just wondering if any of you guys had any luck with these before I snag all this guy has. They're for a TRG 22, 20" barrel....i'm pretty sure it's a 1-11 barrel, it's the newer 2013 model, none the less.

Thanks MLC, I've been running Hornady 178 BTHP superformance and groups have been consistent, and right around 1/2"....just saw the opportunity for a different bullet at a reasonable price.

HSM makes good ammo, I tested a few different boxes of different .308 and other caliber sand so far I am impressed. I just ordered three cases of their ammo today...

I have shot there 308 before and they shot pretty good, not as good as FGGM but it was cheaper

Well I snagged a few boxes. Some of the brass is dirty lookin though, atleast compared to the Hornady i've been shootin. Maybe from people handling them, IDK. We'll see what happens I guess.

If your barrel actually is an 11-twist, you may get away with shooting those. However, whether it's the 210 LRBT or 210 VLD, those bullets are extremely long. It's nothing like shooting factory loads with Sierra 190s. You can get away with using a load/bullet like the SMK 190 in a lot of chambers. With something like the 210, most chambers won't be anywhere near long enough for it.

So you're likely to find one of two things. First, the bullets may have been loaded short to accommodate a typical chamber, in which case they will be seated very far into the case. If so, the velocity will probably not be so great because it takes a lot of room to get enough powder in the case to push a bullet of that size. That is why rifles designed to shoot long heavy bullets like that are throated very long. Bullets seated way deep in the case can be very hard on brass and can also result in less than optimal accuracy/precision. Second, the bullets may be seated long to get sufficient powder in the case. If so, they will likely be jammed way into the rifling in a rifle with a typical chamber. This would not only be a potential safety issue, it would mean there is little chance the rounds will fit in a magazine due to their length.

I'd be interested to know how these rounds were loaded. Can you tell us what the overall length of a loaded round is? I'll also be interested to see how they perform in your rifle (velocity/accuracy/precision, etc.). Can you let us know how they shoot?