• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

HTC One and Shooter Ballistic App problems

verdugo60

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    So I have been using the Shooter App for about 3 years now on various phones and have helped lots of others get it and use it. Just switched to an HTC One, entered all my data from the old phone after downloading it for free from my google account (free because I already purchased it) and my drop chart is off by half on every gun I try. 4 Mils for my .260 to get to 1000. Anyone have this experience? I know the writer sometimes posts on here so was hoping to hear from him and alert about a possible bug. Not sure why a certain phone wouldn't work.

As far as solutions I have checked and rechecked my data, deleted and re-downloaded the app several times and compared it with another phone who's data has been confirmed and always the same result. Very frustrating and I don't know why it would change phone to phone. I would rather not switch phones as I just got everything put on this new phone and it's all working fine except for Shooter. I will change phones if needed, but don't want to. This app is worth it to get working right, it has been accurate out to 2000 yds plus for me, and I love the stepped BC's for popular bullets.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hmm, I was thinking about switching to the Samsung Galaxy S4, anybody running shooter with it?

I have experienced the same problem. I had Shooter installed on an HTC phone and upgraded to a Samsung S4. When I installed Shooter on the S4 and did a Web to Device sync, the dope was way off, about half sounds familiar. I checked it against the Shooter app that I also have installed on an iPad to confirm this. I spent several hours checking every gun and load number to make sure I wasn't missing something, which I wasn't. Sorry I can not identify the exact issue for you, but my solution was to exchange the Samsung S4 for an iPhone 5. With the iPhone 5 I installed the app, did the Web to Device sync and everything was perfect crosschecked against the same data on the iPad. I would say the issue must be related to the Droid OS rather than the make of the Droid phone.

I would say the issue must be related to the Droid OS rather than the make of the Droid phone.

Applied Ballistics gives me good data (matching within 0.1 mil at 1200y) cross checked with JBM online on my Nexus 4 and my Nexus 7, both running 4.2.2, the same OS as the S4 (HTC One is running 4.1.2 IIRC)

I would say the issue might related to something the maker/carrier of the phones is doing to the OS rather than the Android OS itself.

Last edited:
    Well that's good info to know. Glad it's not just my phone. Sounds like a switch to the S4 would not necessarily fix my problem with Shooter. I might have to look at the Applied Ballistics app then, have users that do both found them to be similar? Is Applied Ballistics being used on either the HTC One or the Samsung S4 successfully?

According to the Applied Ballistics thread, at least 3 different people have had trouble running AB on the Samsung S4.

When you buy an app from the Google Play store, you can cancel your purchase and get refunded within 15 minutes. If you're quick that may be enough time to download AB, input your rifle and load data, and see if it works or not.

I own both Applied Ballistics and Shooter. They are pretty much the same app. Applied Ballistics' main improvement is its ability to force calibrate your real dope onto the application. You input actual drops and it uses this data to normalize your velocity to fit the curve based on their BC data. Both Shooter and AB provide me exactly the same information on my Droid Bionic.

~Brett

Shooter and AB work perfectly for me on an s3

Edit: im an idiot and originally said s4, I actually have an s3

Last edited:
    Fellas, It seems I am in the same boat. Bought a HTC One within the last week and just started getting my profiles loaded again. Something that I had to do manually since I did not backup my data prior to switching phones.

I tried uninstalling and installing to the same effect... seems like the data for predicted elevation and windage is around half.

Anyway, I did email the developer of Shooter to see if he has any insight to this issue, and I will pass on any new information that comes my way.

This was the response I received from Sean:

"Chris,

We are working on fixing the issue. *It's a strange one…

Sean"

Let's hope this fix is quick. Or, it will my excuse to buy a Kestrel.

Sent from my 6.5 Creedmoor @ 2750 f.p.s.

I started a thread in the Range Report and Exterior Ballistics sub-forum; it seems that HTC and S4 are having problems with both shooter and AB, PAST about 300 yards. I am skeptical of those who claim to have either of those phones running the software correctly a fair ways beyond that distance. I emailed Sean and received a similar response. If you are running it properly (or if you aren't) please describe your issue in that thread, it might be helpful if the initial correction doesn't fix all machines, which is possible if there are some running the software without issue.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ing-shooter-applied-ballistics-correctly.html

Last edited:
    Np, I want this thing fixed asap just as well. Im going to email or msg Sean to let him know about it in case it might help him understand what's going on. The real irony is that while I was concerned that a new platform might not have all the bugs worked out of it, I brushed that aside considering samsungs reputation and the hype surrounding this phone. While they made sure everything they wrote into it worked, the one outside app I depend one wasnt.

Good to hear about the update for Applied Ballistics. Has anybody tested the new update on the HTC One or the S4?

Good to hear about the update for Applied Ballistics. Has anybody tested the new update on the HTC One or the S4?

Would like to know as well, if so I will get it and wait on Shooter to get fixed.

The app is fixed only bug left is the muzzle velocity correction force closes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Potential fix for shooter app

I have a Samsung S3 and the only way I fixed the numbers being off was while I was at the range, I switched the wing speed to zero, wind angle didn't matter at that point and then under my options, selected "atmosphere from station." it used its gps (which has to be active on the phone's settings, was true for my previous htc phone as well) and not only did it come up with the correct numbers but it also fixed the numbers from there on out, even when i was at home looking up data. hope this helps