• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Huber 2 stage triggers.

goodgorilla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2013
Lecanto, FL
Has anyone used one of these? I'm curious if they can operate dirty better than a dirty jewell.

Last edited:
I have, use and like them. Have not really gotten one filled with dirt, but anything beats a Jewell.

I've got one on my Accurate Ordnance 260. I really like it now, but a word of caution: call Mr. Hubber and speak directly with him about what you want. He uses different terminology which led to me having to send mine back for additional adjustment.

They're not really "two stage". They are a "set" trigger.

A two stage trigger has tons of sear engagement. The first stage takes up 99% of the sear engagement so the sear is engaged by a cunt hair, and a miniscule amount of further movement causes release.

Same is kinda true with a Huber, only taking your finger off the trigger AFTER drawing in the first stage (but not firing) leaves the sear just barely engaged.

Think of it like a double set trigger: once you "set" it by taking up the slack in the first stage, you've got a hair trigger. You must recock the bolt to reset the trigger again.

Real 2-stage triggers reset as you remove your finger from the trigger.

As far as running dirty... I ran one in New Mexico a few months ago and it didn't go down. Conditions were horrible. It was like being in a blast cabinet.

They're not really "two stage". They are a "set" trigger.

A two stage trigger has tons of sear engagement. The first stage takes up 99% of the sear engagement so the sear is engaged by a cunt hair, and a miniscule amount of further movement causes release.

Same is kinda true with a Huber, only taking your finger off the trigger AFTER drawing in the first stage (but not firing) leaves the sear just barely engaged.

Think of it like a double set trigger: once you "set" it by taking up the slack in the first stage, you've got a hair trigger. You must recock the bolt to reset the trigger again.

Real 2-stage triggers reset as you remove your finger from the trigger.

I believe the current ones do reset and are true two stage

I believe the current ones do reset and are true two stage

Nope, just spoke with the owner. they are not true two-stage triggers and do not reset when the trigger is released as mentioned above. The CG trigger is about the only one available. Does that make them a bad trigger? That's your call. but one of the hallmarks of a two-stage is that it is a safer trigger because of the extra sear engagement.

I think they are great triggers, I have them in all of my guns, never had an issue. I do feel that he is pricing his product out of the market.
This is my exact thoughts as well. I ran one 2 years ago and sold the rifle. Had a new build and thought I liked them so much I'll pick up a new one. To my suprise it was $110 more than my previous one. I still bought it and enjoy it but will most likely consider something else if found back in that situation again.

Nope, just spoke with the owner. they are not true two-stage triggers and do not reset when the trigger is released as mentioned above. The CG trigger is about the only one available. Does that make them a bad trigger? That's your call. but one of the hallmarks of a two-stage is that it is a safer trigger because of the extra sear engagement.

Good to know as I plan my next build!

I just bought one recently, and when I let off and take up the slack again, it feels the same. I think they are not 2-stage triggers in the conventional sense, but functionally, it feels like the Anschutz 2-stage trigger I have on one of my rimfire rifles. They are expensive, but I have read that as a sealed unit, they are more resistant to the elements than a CG trigger. I have no experience with CG, and am actually looking to use a CG on a target rifle. For a field rifle, if you want a 2-stage, I would pony up the cash for Huber.

I have three, and I really like them. The clincher, for me, was that it is a sealed unit...which saved my bacon in New Mexico last year. I saw a few triggers go down as a result of the dust/sand/wind combo, but the Huber never had a problem. I've also pierced three primers with no negative effects. They are great triggers

That said, I bought these triggers some time ago, when they were priced competitively with Jewell and others. Discounts from Midway and SH group buy pricing helped lower the cost even more. I love the triggers, but I would have severe reservations about paying $400 for one...Great product, and more power to him for getting what he is asking.

I have both the Huber and the CG, I like the Huber better. I couldn't get use to the heaver pull weight on the first stage of the CG. Todd even sent me some lighter springs. The Huber feels more like the 2 stages i'm use to in my Garand, M1A and AR's. I will be in the market for another Huber as well and $395 a lot, hoping for another GB.

I have one in the rifle I built to start using matches with. So far I really like but the only other trigger I have used it a timney. I did shoot in one small match in a field and the wind was blowing pretty bad throwing dirt all in the action but the trigger ran fine. Like others I don't think I would pay 400 for another unless I could find a deal on one.

Walter

Have used and have both the Huber and CG. I have had the CG go down in the middle of a match. Are they spendy.....yes. Would love to see Bill Geissele come up with one....until them....Will use John's product. The pricing is my only concern.

So long as we're talking about CGs now, I'll add my 2 cents on those... They are a extremely tuneable, and you can achieve an extremely refined (to your exact tastes) release. IF you're mechanically inclined and willing to spend hours and hours fiddlefucking with it.

Tom will send you all different rate springs. By swapping springs around and adjusting the motion ratios and engagement points, almost any feel is available. Great product, but a serious hassle to get set up right.

I've had Jewells go down on me in the rain (twice - two different rifles), but not a CG or Timney. I can't claim that I've subjected either to "serious" conditions though.

Also not mentioned is the fact that you can swap out CG triggers with Anschutz shoes / blades (on of the reasons I am thinking about one for my target rifle).