• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Exo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
El Mirage, Arizona
Okay this may sound a little juvenile, but it really is a serious question.

Does anyone use any 'tactical' gear while hunting? What I mean by that is maybe a chest rig (not plate carrier), or battle belt, or otherwise that has been loaded out with a hunting mentality. I've seen alot of "sniper" chest loadout's that seem to have an actual hunting application (if you look beyond the molle). Something like THIS is intriguing to me but I dont know. Am I over thinking this?

Thanks for any replies...
Ex

Re: Hunt Gear

and for the record, I did use the search function but didnt get what I was looking for.

Thanks,

I use a chest rig for birds out here in the west. You do a lot of walking after quail and having shells in your pants pockets weights down. Makes it easy to get in n out of the truck.

Compartments for shells. Binos. SPOT + GPS.

I'm sure they could have their uses I personally use a backpack unless bird hunting then a vest type rig is used.

Next hunt is for javelina (this weekend) but I think mainly coyotes, possibly deer/elk, I really want to go for mountain lion but have heard you really need trained dogs for a successful hunt.

I use a vest for turkey/quail and pheasant and dove. Then this year i got a backpack with a rifle rest sewed onto it, and then stuck a molle pouch on it, for either my rangefinder or bino's so the damn things don't get stuck in the bottom of my pack....

But the reason i got the rifle rest on it, is because there's been tooo many time's I've topped a hill just to see a big bastage feeding in a valley on the other side with nothing to rest my smokepole on.

I use a "low profile chest rig" that I acquired on my second trip downrange in 05. I hate carrying anything in my pockets if I'll be walking any kind of distance, so it holds basic things for my hunt. Too convenient for me to keep my LRF, binos, calls, kestrel, drag strap, and spare magazine stowed in it all the time. When hunting the ranch I leave it on even when driving in case of a quick dismount. Nice to have everything needed for a quick stalk on pigs readily available.

Blacks Creek Bone Collector Whitetail Fanny Pack

I have an older Guide Gear version and like it alot for deer/elk

Thanks for the feedback! I may just have to put together a lightweight chest rig outfitted for hunting.

Now the question is, which variant? What manufacturers are you guys using? The rigs you currently use, is it the "less is more" mentality? Im in AZ, and I dont think we have a law that says "you have to have "X" amount of orange on".

SMC - sounds like exactly what I was picturing.

Pat - I like that 'Blacks Creek' setup, it looks like it can hold some serious gear, I dont know if I need to be carrying that much though.

Thanks guys,
Ex

You're in PHX and there are many places in PHX to check out 'tactical gear' - I'm thinking SGC, and the store next to it, or AZ Tactical (28th Ave). If those places don't have 'it' they can point the way to someone who might.

From my experience, gather your desired gear...
Look at the dimensions of a simple chest rig or vest,
THEN decide what will actually fit (it's less than you think)
And what you want to carry (it's less than you think).

And go look at pouches in person with the gear. It can be hard to equate a 'flashbang' or 'double mag' pouch to a pair of binocs or a GPS that's not on the list.

http://www.militarymorons.com/ reviews some rigs. Whether you go 'cheap' or military grade is entirely up to your budget. Hunting use it doesn't seem to matter to me, with the military being more stoutly built, but heavier therefore too. All the clips and velcro are great for securing but slow things down too.

All that is for jumping out of the truck after rabbit and bird, in quick little sorties around tanks and washes. It's attached, so you don't forget something.

However, I do NOT use a chest rig for deer and elk. I use a small daypack (~1200cc) because you can then carry 3L H2O, food, first game bag (for heart, liver, kidney), knife, flashlight, put away you warm cloths once it gets warm, then put them back on later when it gets cold, etc. Deer and elk for me means typically 2-4 mile loops over a 4 hour period away from camp. Nap and continue. Rarely do I go back to camp during daylight during the hunting season.

thanks Valise,

I did just that, I picked up a condor chest set, took off that stupid little 'bib' thats on there. loaded the "built in mag pouches" with a radio, maps, flashlight, tie down, and a monocular. grabbed an 'emt' pouch, and hooked it on the back for larger stuff. filled a camelback bladder up, and took off.

after a weekend of walking, it was awesome. light, and cheap...carried water and any other gear i felt a necessity. the other bonus, is that hydration carrier on the back doubles as a pillow for those mid day cat naps
wink.gif

thanks for the input guys!

Ex