• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting’s Newest Controversy: Snipers

BurtG

GOLDEN TICKET HOLDER
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2022
    Northeast
    946A9F38-C002-4A51-9FBF-3AC4DE4C25E4.jpeg

94AAE50E-938B-4109-A09C-B9996691EBB2.jpeg

They are mad this loser simply bought his game. I've got good dope to 900yds for my 300 Win Mag and 600yds is doable with .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. All of it depends on wind and location. If I recall the horseshit on "that system" it was a complete turd, required special factory ammo and was good to only 500yds. Article was probably "sponsored" by that Democrat owned company to drum up business from idiots.

The reality of it is even in open terrain I carry a light rifle with an 18 inch barrel because 150 yard shots are far more common than 750 yard shots and I like to stalk and sit.

Hunter harassment, anti hunters running game with dogs or horses and anti hunters tresspassing to steal or damage blinds, stands, game cameras or break in trucks or campsites is far more of a problem.

Good luck finding the WSJ article on that topic.

Seems like people might be asking for more trouble. In the future when applying for a permit your weapon (SN included) might be needed to determine how many people are allowed into or excluded from an area.

Just give the GOV an opportunity and they will accept it.

On the subject of wounding or killing animals: I can tell you just watch any of the "big hunting" shows on TV. Those "professional" hunters will take some DUMB shots while not hitting the best area on the animal.

That was just a hit piece against hunting and a promo for Tracking Point. Dude being interviewed admits to WSJ that his buddy wounds most of the animals he shoots, the author states that bowhunters "often wound rather than kill". And of course, you gotta have the product promotion "Without TrackingPoint 14% of animals shot suffer and require two or more shots to be killed. Many are never found,” says a TrackingPoint document. “With TrackingPoint 99.5% of animals are cleanly harvested.”

There is nothing in media that isn't propaganda any longer. Most of it isn't hard to see.

Because a monkey can make extra long shots with enough money spent on gear. Nothing else matters but the rifle and wangy dangy scopey calcualtor will do it all.

The fact is several guys around me have invested in "snipery" rifles and gear. The Christianson Arms stuff seemingly being popular with this crowd in my AO. The same shitty shooters are still shitty shooters. One fella impressed by my load work up for a good friend and how that rifle shot wanted me to work up a load to make his "custom" rifle accurate. It seems he couldn't get it to shoot better than 3" at 100 yards. Mind you this was a decent gun that I shot with factory loads and it easily printed slightly sub 1" groups. No amount of gear or load work up is going to help him shoot better. Just like this article the guy figured if he bought the stuff it would transform him into a shooter. This is the kind of guy that makes this argument, buying into this stupidity of the gear making a poor rifleman a good one.

i put in the same category as hunting with thermal, pointed bullets etc

everything past bare hands and possibly a stone as apes have been shown to use stones as weapons....is not "natural"

hunting deer from up in a tree is not natural either but we say its ok

i also believe the gear race and shitty shots on game is just stupid but im not the one tasked with drawing up the regs

personally i dont think a shot over 200-300 max is hunting for sport

if i needed food to feed myself or family in a survival situation its totally different but when you can go to the store and buy chicken i dont see the need

and truthfully 99.9% of the rifle owners shoot and reload like shit, in 2022 where you can buy a rifle for 300$ that shoots 1 moa and match ammo that shoots .5...and you cant shoot or load either as well...your a moron

a decent portion of them should not be allowed outside with a rifle as they are dangerous to themselves and others

but this is the US and to each their own, go make yourself happy in the woods for a few days and have a experience you can tell your grandkids

Just wait until that fancy pants new technology gets hacked into by anti-hunter groups. I personally don't do long range hunting. Not because of any ethics bullshit, but rather I'm lazy and I don't care about making an already easy sport harder than it needs to be. I've said many times I do not hunt for any other reason other than to kill something and eat it. I don't care about getting back in touch with nature or the thrill of the hunt or any of that nonsense. Deer are fucking stupid and let you get in pretty close to them.

• Haha
    Reactions: hino895 and BurtG
    i put in the same category as hunting with thermal, pointed bullets etc

everything past bare hands and possibly a stone as apes have been shown to use stones as weapons....is not "natural"

hunting deer from up in a tree is not natural either but we say its ok

i also believe the gear race and shitty shots on game is just stupid but im not the one tasked with drawing up the regs

personally i dont think a shot over 200-300 max is hunting for sport

if i needed food to feed myself or family in a survival situation its totally different but when you can go to the store and buy chicken i dont see the need

and truthfully 99.9% of the rifle owners shoot and reload like shit, in 2022 where you can buy a rifle for 300$ that shoots 1 moa and match ammo that shoots .5...and you cant shoot or load either as well...your a moron

a decent portion of them should not be allowed outside with a rifle as they are dangerous to themselves and others

but this is the US and to each their own, go make yourself happy in the woods for a few days and have a experience you can tell your grandkids

It is the same with about any activity that takes a tool as well as some skill.

There comes a time when you need the "right tool" for the job.

As to the shitty shots most hunters are, as well as their general stupidity to anything "safety" related, I generally hide in my house now and hope bullets don't come through the side of the house......happened to my neighbor, a round through the house, into a bedside table, and ended up in a drawer. That is some scary shit right there.

Anyone that has a "public sight in day" at their club, and has "worked" it knows what I am talking about. In general you can't tell these people anything. And everything shows up. From the latest and greatest in both firearm, optics and ammo. To rifles being brought in and the same box of ammo they have used for the last four years. You also learn as you go. If someone carries in a shiny new rifle, and a bunch of clearly different calibers of ammo in a zip lock bag you ask some questions. Where did you get your ammo.....Garage sale......you are not shooting it here. People banging on a bolt trying to get it to close, one person even had a wooden hammer with him.....this happened twice that I saw.

I quit doing it I just can't be on my feet that long anymore, we got to one club member per 3 shooters.....and in some cases if you got unlucky you are over worked. My wife did the basic firearm safety discussion, and she was good at it. If you screwed around on your phone you got asked to put it down or you can leave, if you did it again you got asked to leave. Get upset and start to make a loud jack ass out of your self, we had off duty deputies in uniform there to make you leave. Private property they asked you to leave if you don't trespass.

I am half glad and half sad I can't do it anymore, get a "good" person and it was fun to help them. Just when I was leaving women started coming out. They would always listen and take what you said in, men not so much and the more tattoos they had the more stupid they seemed, some people at the club even pushed to end the event and not do it anymore.

Does it count as camo when I wear tan Carhartt to hunt the stubble fields?
    I pulled up to a hunter check station and got out in blue jeans and a black hoodie and the three hunters ahead of me decked out in hundreds of dollars of Realtree shit smirked at me until I dropped the tailgate and they saw my buck and 2 does, they each had one deer. Smug pricks weren’t so smug after that.

2016 article, probably written by TrackingPoint. I'll stick with the old S&B.

Yes, yes it does as long as you're only shooting an iron sighted 30-30 lever action that's at least fifty years old.

Does it count if it has an aftermarket peep sight and is marked 30wcf?

this will get me some shit. i was around and hunting when the "primative weapons season" BS started. we have stainless barrel,adjustable scope,synthetic stock,in line ignition,synthetic powder,saboted bullets? not to mention multi pulleys,metal "strings",synthetic bows. these are primative weapons that need the advantage of earlier seasons? your tikka or my savage are way more primative.

this will get me some shit. i was around and hunting when the "primative weapons season" BS started. we have stainless barrel,adjustable scope,synthetic stock,in line ignition,synthetic powder,saboted bullets? not to mention multi pulleys,metal "strings",synthetic bows. these are primative weapons that need the advantage of earlier seasons? your tikka or my savage are way more primative.
    Well not exactly. Since Louisiana and Mississippi have lands and boundaries that change due to the vagarities of the Mississippi river, these two states maintain similar wildlife laws. So, when Mississippi adopted a rather lenient primitive weapon definition, Louisiana changed ours as well.

The definition is as follows

– Rifles or pistols, .44 caliber minimum, or shotguns 10 gauge or smaller, all of which must load exclusively from the muzzle or cap and ball cylinder, use black powder or approved substitute only, with single ball or bullet projectile only, including saboted bullets, including primitive firearms known as “in line” primitive firearms;

Single shot, breech loading rifles, (.38 caliber or larger) of a kind or type manufactured prior to 1900 and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of that type rifle having an exposed hammer that use metallic cartridges loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder;

All of the above may be fitted with magnified scopes,

So, muzzle loaders used in Louisiana have become pretty much extinct but CVA Scouts in .35 Whelen, .444 and .350 legend have become hot sellers. We own one (CVA in .35 Whelen) and have taken several deer with it. Works great. (But I do not load it nearly as heavy as my custom Ruger 77 in .35 Whelen).

Reactions: BurtG
    The further you go down the hunting rabbit hole, the more and more you realize the jokes are real, and not jokes at all.

They literally have no idea how to dial on elevation or windage, nor do they understand the basics of it.

They overgun at these close ranges because they believe it defeats gravity and the straighter it shoots close the farther they can hit something.

We need to update this aspect of shooting, and designate close, medium, and long-range hunting, so it's not all tossed together.

You have straight pipe lever action types talking like they are long-range shooters and not going past 200, meanwhile the 6.5CM hunters are shooting Elk inside 400, so that is good.

What equates to success in the hunting world is crazy to me. I mean I guess I understand, using the tools like guides and such, but the short range guys are the biggest proponents of what people don't need meanwhile it's deer stand luck, as in, the longer you sit the luckier you get.

Because a monkey can make extra long shots with enough money spent on gear. Nothing else matters but the rifle and wangy dangy scopey calcualtor will do it all.

The fact is several guys around me have invested in "snipery" rifles and gear. The Christianson Arms stuff seemingly being popular with this crowd in my AO. The same shitty shooters are still shitty shooters. One fella impressed by my load work up for a good friend and how that rifle shot wanted me to work up a load to make his "custom" rifle accurate. It seems he couldn't get it to shoot better than 3" at 100 yards. Mind you this was a decent gun that I shot with factory loads and it easily printed slightly sub 1" groups. No amount of gear or load work up is going to help him shoot better. Just like this article the guy figured if he bought the stuff it would transform him into a shooter. This is the kind of guy that makes this argument, buying into this stupidity of the gear making a poor rifleman a good one.
    I lucked into not doing that. When I first got into LR I was going to go to Clay Spencer and 'Do a build". $3000 to get started. So I looked around and asked questions and a knowledgeable person steered me to a Remington 5R in stainless for $950 or so. It shot a ragged hole at 100 out of the box. I dont think a 3 K rifle would make me shoot any better.

Put money into fundamentals.

Used to work with a guy that is avid deer hunter, lives for it. He knows I shoot long range F class and am a data junkie. Calls me one morning and says he is zeroed for 200 but keeps seeing deer about 400 yards and what should he do? I don't think he had much concept of dialing the correct MOA for the extra distance. Asked him what kind of caliber/ammo he was using and had to make some assumptions on velocity and altitude he was at. Told him to hold over X amount. If I recall he didn't get anything. That seems typical from some I know that deer hunt.

On the flip side of the coin, know a gunsmith that builds his own hunting rifles for out west.
    He understands ballistics and builds the flatest shooting rifles he can and as such, does well.

Just a way to open up bag limits for the car insurance lobbyists.

Like letting crossbows now be used in bow season. Straight wall rifle in shotgun areas

Just get to the point and make it 24/7 rifle thermal

i might be wrong,but i think so.carolina has the longest deer season in the country and it is any weapon from the 1st day.
    North and South kackalaki deer seasons are stepped by weapon systems. They start modern gun 10-11-22, NC modern gun started 10-15-22, but we got until the 1st or 2nd of January

If it's legal who cares. Long range hunting ain't for me but if someone else wants to, I say have at it. Guys spend a gazillion dollars on a gunwerks rifle, ammo and training so let them go out and test their stuff.

Do you really need camo if you are shooting animals that don't know you are on the planet?
    Ohh yeah. Cross breeding your camo? Digital hat and realtree shirt. Sheesh

Reactions: TheBigCountry