• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting 308 round

TaintedArt

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2012
Hey all,

I may be just not finding what I am looking for. Maybe it's been discussed, in which case please just point me to the right post:

I am looking for a good hunting (deer) 308 round. Any suggestions?
I have seen a lot of talk about using match type rounds for hunting but what is a straight up good hunting round?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Hunting 308 round

125 grain sierra spitzer is a great bullet for hunting deer and smaller sized game.

i have also used 168 SMK's, 175 SMK's, 168 berger vld and the 185 berger hunting vld with success.

I have used Winchester 150 gr BST with succes, factory load, lots of options if you reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">155 scenar.</div></div>

This!

Are we talking factory assembled ammo or are you trying to select a bullet to reload?

For factory ammo: Umm...what doesn't work if you put in the chest? Not much. I like Rem CorLokt's and Winchester Super-X. Never tried any other factory ammo, but they all seem to dump 'em just fine with good shot placement. Sounds cliche'd I suppose, but it's true.

Guess I'm just saying don't stress as much about ammo selection as you do field marksmanship; knowing how to place your shots in the vitals consistently. Learning about animal behavior and best shot placement contingent on the animal's body position is far more important. Not saying you shouldn't think about what you use, but listen to what some trusted mentors say and then quit worrying it too much until later down the road when you have reason to try something else. Just my .02.

-The Kid.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am looking for complete factory round for hunting. Not a bullet for reloads. Sorry about that.

It seems like there is not one round everybody comes to with an immediate response. Which leads me to believe that it's all preference. No stand out round.

Thanks I will look into the mentioned ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">155 scenar.</div></div>

This! </div></div>

Absolutely!

Anyone tried Federal Trophy bonded Tip?

They sure are expensive, but Federal seems pretty sure of them.

Barnes Vor-TX in 150 or 168 gr. This is a stand out round for deer.

You will get a 100 different answers because 100 different bullets will do the job if there given a chance i.e placed in a good spot.

I love barnes bullets and I love DRT's. Two complete opposites. I have hand loaded the 168 amax's for my freinds that took two bull elk in the flat tops wilderness with one shot each throught the shoulder and destroyed the organs on both. On the other hand another hunter was using barnes 180 tsx and gave it 3 shots all went straight through but it ran the farthest?

I will say this just for your interest, i have never seen more damage done by anything compared to a 175 DRT out of a 308 at 80 yards.

I've grown to like Federal's Fusion series, they're damn accurate in my CDL @ 100 yards and the mushrooming on them is pretty nice. I've heard great things.

As for rolling your own, Barnes or Nosler i would definetley give a shot.

Its a semi silly question, I'd wager that most anybody here could kill almost any deer, with almost any bullet built since the civil war. If you are that concerned about a bullet you probably have bigger problem to worry about.

Whatever .308 ammo is cheapest is on sale at Walmart has always killed the shit out of whatever I shot with it.

Sometimes its Rem Core Lokt 150, Sometimes Federal Pointed soft point, sometimes Winchester

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a semi silly question, I'd wager that most anybody here could kill almost any deer, with almost any bullet built since the civil war. If you are that concerned about a bullet you probably have bigger problem to worry about.</div></div>

This is pretty much the long and short of it, youngsters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teamr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have had very good luck with 165 Accubonds in both factory and hand loads.</div></div>

The only thing I use. Awesome bullet.

Like the man said. Buy whats on sale at wally world , line it up and squeeze it off. Where it hits is more important than what you hit it with.......and all the baseline ammo is capable.

Anything with a Barnes X-Bullet in it. 165 grains seems to be about the perfect balance of oomph & trajectory with most .308s. I've shot everything from squirrels to elk with the Barnes-X, and everything I've ever hit with one has dropped as if slapped by the hand of God. I did see one deer, shot at 60 yards with a .270, twitch a hind leg after it hit the ground, but only one twitch.

Yes, there are a lot of choices and many of them are based on preference. Many of those preferences are ego driven, and have little basis in cold, hard, knock 'em down, drag 'em out to the pickup reality. The simple marketing facts suggest that Remington Core-Lokt, Winchester Super-X, and Federal Classic are the brands and styles that are bringing in the venison far and wide.

They are fully and adequately functional in any instance where reasonable care and diligence are exercised when taking the shot; and no damned fancy ammo is going to make your day when they are not.

Greg

remington core lokts have done wonders for me on whitetail. cheap at $16 a box and i've never had them get more than a few feet from where they were shot. cheap and effective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a semi silly question, I'd wager that most anybody here could kill almost any deer, with almost any bullet built since the civil war. If you are that concerned about a bullet you probably have bigger problem to worry about.</div></div>

</div></div>
Yes, but lets debate it further! Because so and so's scirroco is bigger than whats his names TSX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a semi silly question, I'd wager that most anybody here could kill almost any deer, with almost any bullet built since the civil war. If you are that concerned about a bullet you probably have bigger problem to worry about.</div></div>

</div></div>
Yes, but lets debate it further! Because so and so's scirroco is bigger than whats his names TSX.</div></div>

It's a process, I think. When we first set out to kill something, we want to know a lot of theory and talk through stuff like this because we are in exciting new territory. Once we kill a few hundred times and become competent killers of furry critters, we realize how relatively petty these details really are. Guess I'm saying we are all at different places in that process of "maturity" and shouldn't get too impatient with those that are still focused on what you or I may think(know) to be silly details. No offense intended towards the OP!

You remember what's-his-face, Humble or something? Always posting the same pictures of those two elk he shot through the butt? Perfect example of somebody who over-worried the theory, seemingly confirmed his ardently-held theories with a couple kills and then felt like the rest of us were complete idiots because we were confident in our ability to get the job done with bullets other than a TSX. All of that being a side note to say: Some things can only be learned by experience and I don't let myself get too wrapped around the axle when people want to debate bullet selection.

Could be worse...I mean, we could turn this into a "hunting with match bullets" debate...

(Ooops, was that out loud?)

-The Kid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">155 scenar.</div></div>

This! </div></div>

+++ on the155 scenar

Hornady 165 grain btsp, worked great on deer and shot almost as well as Federal match on paper.

To be honest I have had great success with the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip 168 gr I have yet to no kill something(Deer and Hog) while I was using this particular bullet.

If your shooting close range (<100 Yds, maybe even 200 yds) then unlikely to matter. Try a bunch and use whatever works.
If you try to stretch out you may find that only certain factory loads can still get the job done.

I keep some SGK and TSX for close up work but for trying to reach out the 175 SMK works in my 308. In all cases I am using Federal. Mainly because easy to get and I can stay consistent. I would be surprised if any of the match loads did not shoot well but I have not tried them.

But I have a 300 WSM and a 338 LM so they almost always make the trip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barnes Vor-TX in 150 or 168 gr. This is a stand out round for deer. </div></div>

These have always performed well for a buddy if mine. Personally, I roll my own, but if I shot factory it would be this.

#1 question what kind of Deer are you hunting 250 pound northern Deer or 150 pound southern Deer, And at what ranges are you planning to make shots. After that has been determined find the bullet that shoots best in your rifle.

With the 308, I like to stick with the 165 gr weight bullets for most hunting.

Deer are not that hard to kill so any good bullet will do the job.

That being said, I've gone to the 165 Accubond for all my 308 hunting. Easy to get a factory loaded cartridge and easy to reload.

I'm so confident in the bullet my nephew is using it when we go to Mozambique next month. He'll be hunting bushbuck and warthog as his primary animals. Plus, he'll get to shoot some community quota of reed buck and possibly more wart hogs for the local villages.

He'll have no problem with the Accubonds and his shooting ability.

I have used the Barnes TTSX with DEVASTATING results and the TSX in my .22-250.

Lately since I am using 168 SMK in my .308 and I have tons of data already on my rifle I have been using that round and I haven't been disappointed yet.

I have no clue why people use a match grade to shoot great with then switch to a subpar or slightly less quality round to hunt with. If I am going to shoot well I always try to shoot the best round I can.

168 Berger VLD is my first choice but I have also used a 155 Scenar.

Both have worked well with no issues or follow up shots needed. Unlike my 3 fellow hunting partners which all use a 7mm rem mag and 150 and/or 165 game kings. But their issue has not been bullet performance, rather shooter performance.

Remington Core-Lokt 150gr. PSP.

Inexpensive. Accurate enough for hunting purposes. Probably has killed more deer than all other .308 cartridges combined.

Federal Premium (P308C) is tough to beat for hunting. This round is loaded with 165gr Sierra GameKing BTSP. Accuracy is quite acceptable - about .1 MOA over FGMM 168 and ballistics are close enough.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razor100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about the 150 grain Swift Scirocco 2? any one have experience?</div></div>

I use to run these in my old 06 and they worked excellent. Once dropped a 270 lb buck at 200yrds, and lost a shoulder doin it. I have since went back to the old core lokts and fed fusions... they're cheap, and as deadly as a semi truck, in fact deer don't know the difference!

Just about anything will work on deer if you do your part.

If you want premium factory loads for deer I'd go with the Cor-Bon 130gr TTSX or the Barnes Vor-Tx 150gr TTSX, or Federal 150gr TSX, whatever's on sale; high shoulder for minimal meat loss.

I harvested a large cow Elk last season with a 168 gr Barnes TTSX. Great round, went right through both lungs. I could not be happier with Barnes bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMT38S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used Winchester 150 gr BST with succes, factory load, lots of options if you reload. </div></div>
these right here! have take many deer with these and longest trail was about 40 yards. crazy blood trail!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teamr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nosler Custom 165 gr Accubonds</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barnes Vor-TX in 150 or 168 gr. This is a stand out round for deer. </div></div>

This, every day of the week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teal28</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barnes Vor-TX in 150 or 168 gr. This is a stand out round for deer. </div></div>

This, every day of the week. </div></div>

This is running about 39.99 a box at Cabela's. Is that about right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever .308 ammo is cheapest is on sale at Walmart has always killed the shit out of whatever I shot with it.

Sometimes its Rem Core Lokt 150, Sometimes Federal Pointed soft point, sometimes Winchester </div></div>

Haha I like this.