• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting 308 round

Re: Hunting 308 round

i used to think it was the bullet, but as i get older i've realized its more placement than anything.

ive hunted whitetails with my 30-06 here in michigan using core-lokt 180 SP for most of my hunting life. 14 bucks and a few doe - all 1 shot wonders, but the longest was about 125 yds. Shot placement is 90% of the game, but occasionally you'll get a runner if you hit them in the boiler room. 4th or 5th buck i killed was perfect heart shot (took off the top 2/3) and he still ran 300 yds before he fell over and realized he was dead. I switched to neck shots from there and they drop like a sack of potatoes (with the occasional spin on the closer shots)

last fall started loading 165 sst's for my 30-06 and of course didn't see a buck all season.

switching over to my 308 this year with the 165 sst's. I'm perfectly comfortable saying that if one comes into range of my shooting abilities, its not walking away.

between our hunting group - most of us shoot core-lokt 150-180gr in our various .30 cals, but a couple of the guys are shooting win ballistic silver tip. bro's Father in law is running a 243 (with core lokts). I'd say we have 4-6 different types of bullets in the field every season. None of our crew has trouble killing deer as long as they do their part. We've taken over 30 deer in the last 4 years - and no matter the bullet or caliber - shot placement seems to be the success key.

find what your gun likes best and stick with that!

Hog hunt coming up here. Paper puncher will be put to work...168 Hornady AMAX. Should do the trick.

180gr Remington Core-lokt held a consistent 1" MOA in my VTR...

But I've long since sold my 308 bolt gun... but still tramp around the brush in deer drives with my AR w/ 62gr fusions!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hog hunt coming up here. Paper puncher will be put to work...168 Hornady AMAX. Should do the trick. </div></div>

A hog hunt event jumped on me too. I will probably use my Federal Gold Medal Match 168 Sierra BTHP for the hog. My rifle likes that stuff. She also likes Hornady TAP in 155.

But not 100% I wanna use that for deer. Might up the grains but I really liked what was said about shot placement.

Good words by all, keep em comin.
grin.gif

Tried 150gr Hornady SST and it was a bit too damaging on small roe deer, 180gr Speer was a bit better. Will try 165gr Nosler Accubonds soon.

I stick with the 168gr GM308. Takes too long to figure out others when this one shoots well in my 308 outfits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tainted Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teal28</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barnes Vor-TX in 150 or 168 gr. This is a stand out round for deer. </div></div>

This, every day of the week. </div></div>

This is running about 39.99 a box at Cabela's. Is that about right? </div></div>

Yes they are around the $40 tag just about anywhere.