• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting Head Shots

Re: Hunting Head Shots

It was an experimental bullet that I made to expand at subsonic velocities. That one was shot at 3000 fps. It only really proved one thing. We didn't need to do that again if we wanted to eat what we shot.

Wolf 99 yards 223

WolfSkull.jpg

I had a doe tag a couple years ago and took the .338 since we were in grizz country. Wound up shooting a whitetail doe in the head at 29 yards.
No wasted meat, no tracking; she went completely over backwards and was most definitely DRT, bang-THWOCK-thud. We found brain chunks ten feet up on the trees behind her.

SeeleyLkMT11-08005.jpg

1911fan

JJ, looks like you hit that one doe with a RPG. Your freezer looks full!

Cull from from yesterday @ 209 yds.
.308 155 amax over 45gr varget
Just in front of ear and never exited.
image124.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UgashikBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wolf 99 yards 223

WolfSkull.jpg
</div></div>

Thats got to be one of the creepier photos on this site.

189 yards, 240 gr. XTP, 110 grains of FFg.....8.25 MOA from a 100 yard zero.

HPIM2676.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JJ, looks like you hit that one doe with a RPG. Your freezer looks full! </div></div>

Trust me there is no shortage in my freezer.

JJ details on that bullet? what caliber, design, etc.? Can they be made in .223?

Looks good for varmint hunting and would love to try some of them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JJ details on that bullet? what caliber, design, etc.? Can they be made in .223?

Looks good for varmint hunting and would love to try some of them! </div></div>

I sent the details to Corbon years ago because I'm not a bullet manufacturer and just wanted a supply of them. If I released the details it wouldn't be a secret. I will say it looked a lot like a Corbon powerball. They could be made in any caliber as long as you had the dies etc. to make them. Getting set up to start making one caliber is going to be about $1k + depending on how serious you want to be with it.

290yd doelope. 300wm and handload 180accubond @2800fps. I love watching things summer sault when running and getting shot in the ole noggin!

IMG_0421.jpg

The 2nd headshot of the squirrel season. 40 yards w/ Savage M-II.

1027101659a-1.jpg

I've only gone twice...kind of waiting for the leaves to fall so I can see/shoot a little farther. Interesting thread.

Safe Hunting,
-The Kid.

Woken up this morning by having this pic revieced in a MMS,

DSC00013.jpg

Mike has taken two roes, side by side @ 132 meter, on shot facing him, the other looking away.

rifle used a Stenroos build 243 Win, 105 grains A-max @ 920 m/s.

Rem 700 base, Mcmillan A3-5 stock, Krieger barrel 24 inch 1:8 twist, and a Bushnell 6-24 scope.

Best regards Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what am i doing wrong with my pic? </div></div>
use the image code for forums. Nice kill
219nhn4.jpg

Duck, that last picture really takes the cake.lol

6BR/105Amax/2850 mv

Yote- 176 yds, doe - 45, shot many other deer, one at 400.

Amax = death on alot of game in the pipsqueak BR.

HuntWills110706024.jpg

HuntWills120606006.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UgashikBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CBM:
With a friend tracking this guy down in some very ugly alders after he had been hit previously. He put the first four from the 454 Casull in front chest and the last one right down the pipe. Very impressed with the shooter but not cartridge. </div></div> Well maybe it was just a tough old bear :p

BigJohnson, I bet your hell on 3D shoots...nice shot on that little guy...obviously not the first time you've drawn a bow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dstewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cull from from yesterday @ 209 yds.
.308 155 amax over 45gr varget
Just in front of ear and never exited.
image124.jpg
</div></div>

Amazing how 155 Amax will sometimes stay in there even at close range. Shot a doe last week, same thing happened. bullet weighed 77 gr recovered.

168 grain Sierra HPBT right below the right eye and you can see the exit wound. DRT.

Hunting2010005.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reelman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Head shots aon big game are fine IF everything is perfect but even then why? THere's nothing like seeing a deer running around with it's jaw blown off because the shot missed by just a bit.

The deer Vincoco has in his picture shows the jaw blown off and it looks like there is another shot in it's chest so I would say that deer did quite a bit of flipping before actually dieing.
For those that say they don't want to waste meat that's just BS! Shoot them through both lungs and you waste a pound of meat at the most.

Again, just because you can doesn't mean you should! </div></div> I tend to agree, I have had to finish off a doe that some genious tried to head shoot. She was very much alive minus her bottom jaw, trying to drink unsuccessfully. 4" low, and you got a deer that will suffer for a week or two. Pop both lungs, and the deer is dead. While I commend your shooting skills, I wouldn't do it myself, even though I could. Small game or varmints- go for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 cents on head shots on big game, just because you can doesn't mean you should...

22MAG01-16-2010JPG.jpg

22_rabbit_2_-_CopyJPG-2.jpg

threeturkeys.jpg
</div></div>

i like how the turkeys eyes are blacked out

First headshot pic -- never thought to take pics before although I've made many headshots in my life. This one at 342 yards with the workhorse (6.5-284) shooting 140 Berger VLDs. No discarded meat.

resultjsr.jpg

From the time I was old enough to handle a gun, my dad also said one shot one kill... Everything we pretty much shot we had to eat so a head shot was the best.... I will always take one on a doe but the bucks I plan on mounting get the body shot.

Older pic from this spring.

158g SWC .38 Special to the noggin' via 6" Ruger GP100 357 Mag.

0709100806.jpg

Makes a pretty cool "Tunk!" sound when bullet meets skull.
laugh.gif

-The Kid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duckslayer12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC02679.jpg

</div></div>Hey do you know there's a zombie groundhog chewin on your rifle.???
Hahahahaha.
I'll see if I can't add to this thread....Here little coyote!!
.....SmokeRolls

I only had one last chance on this one - it was the last day of the season, last 20 min. I saw it walk up near a hill (about 200 m away +/- 1 m), everything was perfect, wind, humidity everything. The only issue was that I only could see the neck and up (from behind). A dog barked nearby so it froze, I took the chnce and there she droped.

bild2_zps833f1fc9.jpg