• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting Head Shots

Mcoop8

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2009
DFW, TX
I saw the pig ear shots on the SH photo gallery. Made me want to start a new thread.

This was shot from +/- 100 yrds wit a 300win mag. 165 gr noz ballistic tip. My friend said all he saw was a red puff of mist.

f26j46.jpg

Reactions: Raffica762
Re: Hunting Head Shots

Me thinks your friend was expounding a bit on what he "saw". If he saw a pink mist on a critter after riding the recoil of a 300WM on a target at 100 yards that is ether one hell of a brake/can or your bud is a direct descendant of Hercules to hold the rifle still.

Other than that, nice shot. That is my preferred method of white tail termination, horns or no horns.

Cheers,

Doc

170yds, 75VMAX...
41lbcoyote004.jpg

Same gun& load, different glass. From last year, 530yds...
Globe2009009.jpg

162AMAX, 7Wizzer...
April09025.jpg

180-ish, 70Blitzking, 6x45. Shot while 'testing' a WOTAC...
April09014-1.jpg

Nothing quite like the sound of a boolit hitting a skull!

I try to keep it simple with a patched .32cal roundball, iron sights and real BlackPowder.

100_2029Fixed.jpg

100_2032.jpg

nice shot brad! were you trying a headshot on the cat in Grandfield???
grin.gif

I have to draw the line at squirrel brains. Although I have to admit that I've never tried them. LOL.

The bottom squirrel in this pic was headshot with the .32 just the day before yesterday, the other one was with the Ruger.

Sorry for the shitty pic, it was at the end of the day and the lighting was off.

DSC_3435.jpg

This one was just a RCH from officially qualifying, the bullet exited the neck.

Fixed.jpg

Though it wasn't dramatic, this one was a headshot, bullet entered right behind the eye.

100_2572.jpg

Brad, you have NO idea how badly my bud is wanting to shoot a black squirrel! Matter of fact, we may go squirrel snipin' Sunday AM, if work will let me...

The .17m2 makes head shots fun on tiny critters! (the red dropped into the creek)
Newbatch026.jpg

Hey Fred, do you guys have a lot of Black Squirrels in your area? We have quite a few of them here, but only in a few areas of the state.

Sounds familiar, Brad...
There seem to be patches of them in certain areas, some of which are BB gun only
wink.gif

We saw ONE black squirrel up at the farm last year. I saw him during archery season & almost let an arrow loose on him. My crazee bud would carry a single shot .410 with him on deer stand, in case he saw him
laugh.gif
Heck, he has even issued a bounty on that squirrel's head!

Overall, sightings seem to be on the rise...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me thinks your friend was expounding a bit on what he "saw". If he saw a pink mist on a critter after riding the recoil of a 300WM on a target at 100 yards that is ether one hell of a brake/can or your bud is a direct descendant of Hercules to hold the rifle still.

Other than that, nice shot. That is my preferred method of white tail termination, horns or no horns.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Naw man, I shot the thing. My friend was watching with,his specs. I was on the floor giggling like a little girl because this was the 2nd headshot in a few seconds. (or as long as it took this one to run about 50 yards to the right and stop. I shot my buck the day befor and I was workin on the Doe population. here is the first one. She was also about 100yrds. She was pointed at me but looking down eating the bullet entered between her ears and exited in the neck / jaw area.

xnca2x.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mcoop8,

Post a big of that small deer you killed this year...................Wink Wink

</div></div>

What, this little thing?

2s6ldz8.jpg

osuma220mHStavi.jpg

220m remington 700 sps dm

This was the first one. Since i have take several whit hs but whit my varmint.

I love all the head shots. And yea you are right, some people are going to give you grief about it! It just may be the ones that can't do it!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcoop8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me thinks your friend was expounding a bit on what he "saw". If he saw a pink mist on a critter after riding the recoil of a 300WM on a target at 100 yards that is ether one hell of a brake/can or your bud is a direct descendant of Hercules to hold the rifle still.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Naw man, I shot the thing. My friend was watching with,his specs. I was on the floor giggling like a little girl because this was the 2nd headshot in a few seconds. (or as long as it took this one to run about 50 yards to the right and stop. I shot my buck the day befor and I was workin on the Doe population. here is the first one. She was also about 100yrds. She was pointed at me but looking down eating the bullet entered between her ears and exited in the neck / jaw area.

xnca2x.jpg

</div></div>

I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification of who was watching vs who was shooting, well done.

Cheers,

Doc

Here is one from last summer, 105amax from a 6br.

pdog.jpg

DSCN1066.jpg

Two hogs that came to a stock tank late at dusk, put one in each of their ears.

Do these count?

100 yards or so, running directly away. 180 grain Nosler ballistic tip from a .300 winmag.
headache-1.jpg

298 yards, he stopped to look at me when I hollered at him. Yet another 180 grain Nosler Ballistic tip.
Coyote1.jpg

After I hung up the same coyote as a warning to the others lurking around.
Coyote3.jpg

I don't understand why anyone would want to make a headshot on a buck. If your hunting for the meat then wouldn't it be better to shoot a doe? Unless the buck was being shot for a specific reason like removing bad genetics, then why wouldn't you let it walk to get bigger? And if the plan was to only remove the horns for the trophy then wouldnt it be better to shoot it else where so theres no chance of possibly hitting the rack? Just my .02$, not trying to bash anyone but just learn something i dont already know.

I shot a buck because that is what my tag would allow...in Montana and Nevada where I hunt, the area that you are hunting in and your tag dictate what you can or cannot shoot. The size of the rack thing yeah i've heard the argument of "letting them walk" but for my money, I paid for an out of state tag, air line ticket, etc., etc. etc. Also I am not blessed with an unlimited period of time to spend hunting, I get to go to Montana for one week if I am presented an opportunity to fill my tag legally, I am damn sure going to take it...the most expensive steaks and jerky that you will ever eat, but a very fun hobby and as far as damaging the rack I did not, maybe a chance you take but I would not have lost any sleep had I chipped an antler. just my two cents

Head shots aon big game are fine IF everything is perfect but even then why? THere's nothing like seeing a deer running around with it's jaw blown off because the shot missed by just a bit.

The deer Vincoco has in his picture shows the jaw blown off and it looks like there is another shot in it's chest so I would say that deer did quite a bit of flipping before actually dieing.

For those that say they don't want to waste meat that's just BS! Shoot them through both lungs and you waste a pound of meat at the most.

Again, just because you can doesn't mean you should!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitt91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand why anyone would want to make a headshot on a buck. If your hunting for the meat then wouldn't it be better to shoot a doe? Unless the buck was being shot for a specific reason like removing bad genetics, then why wouldn't you let it walk to get bigger? And if the plan was to only remove the horns for the trophy then wouldnt it be better to shoot it else where so theres no chance of possibly hitting the rack? Just my .02$, not trying to bash anyone but just learn something i dont already know. </div></div>

Nothing stretches steaks like noggin' removal. Never known a Farmer who wanted more Chickens,to start killing hens.

I've long been a CNS fan.

HeadGoo03.jpg

Probably my luckiest hunting shot ever, I caught this Speck mid neck just as it was floating over my blind for a landing (I wasn't even intending to hunt geese that day). 3 1/2" 2 shot 12 gauge at about 10 feet. The body hit the ground and I never did find the head. Certainly a meat saver.

IMG_0979.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lone_soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">blew his head smooth off, now thats a head shot. im guessing the furbuyer wouldnt take those ones lol </div></div>

Out here in West Texas, there's not really anybody that I know of that wants the furs. So we just kill them to keep the population in check. I've seen some REALLY REALLY nasty mangy coyotes too. But I'm sure you're right, lol, a furbuyer probably wouldn't want those.

One in the ass,is better than two in the grass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One in the ass,is better than two in the grass. </div></div>

That is what we call an "Arkansas Headshot" lmao

I'm not much into fucking around and will take what I can get,while being happy to have it.

[img:center]
vqqslg.jpg
[/img] [img:center]
9gatch.jpg
[/img] [img:center]
106y53p.jpg
[/img] fox shot at 380 meters with 220 swift, 52gr ballistic tip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KingKong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
osuma220mHStavi.jpg

220m remington 700 sps dm

This was the first one. Since i have take several whit hs but whit my varmint. </div></div>

Where's it legal to shoot ducks with a rifle?

Ooops...Finland, evidently.