• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting in Texas

Teggy1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
Forest City, Iowa
Sounds like work will be sending me to Texas around the first of January thru the first of February or so. Probably going to be in the Abilene area, and am wondering what is available for recreational activities, ranges, hunting (hogs, coyotes, or.......whatelse you got?)

Never been so any info would be appreciated.

Re: Hunting in Texas

Hogs are very plentiful in the area, and shouldn't be hard to find a reasonable place to hunt them. Depending on the county, there should be a late antlerless season on deer as well.
Also, don't discount the bird hunting in the area. If you like to duck hunt, it can be surprisingly good on the various cattle ponds you encounter on a ranch. Late dove season goes through January 8th, and can be phenomenal if you find a good location. Numbers are down from last year due to the drought, but the late season is usually even better than the opener on my property.
I don't know of any outfitters off the top of my head, but if you are courteous and willing to ask around, I'd imagine you could easily find a place to kill some piggies for a reasonable price. Good luck.

Stefan

Re: Hunting in Texas

Teggy1 If in the abilene area there are lots of pigs. but its getting harder and harder to find a rancher to let you come on there property. As far as hogs go your best bet is to look on the Dallas Craigslist there lots of 150 dollar a day not far from Abilene. for places to shoot Tac Pro is a good quality 1000 yard range about an hour and a half east. and lots of big ranches with open areas to shoot. I live here in Abilene Pm and we can talk