• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors hunting knife blade length???

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    Just wanting to get some input from other hunters on what works for them. I just gou a Mercworx David, 5.250" blade. Bought that blade length because it is legal to carry in Texas. Can anyone tell me when they needed a hunting knife with a longer blade or is this adequate for most applications? Thanks for your time!

Re: hunting knife blade length???

You should be fine with that no need for a bigger blade unless you are goining to be building a make shift shelter

Hi pwhite,

I carry a 3 1/2" blade for general use in hunting and have another 4" blade in my pack for use on game.
    Here in Florida you are unlikely to need a knife for survival.
    All of the WMAs (Wildlife Management Areas) are criss crossed with roads and fairly busy.
    I have no experience with survival situations and am not very successful at hunting, but I do spend a pretty fair amount of time in the woods.

I also have a Randall model 14 with a 7 1/2" blade that I love, but can't find any use for it other than cutting the ends off of cigars.
    My buddies make fun of me when I carry it, but when the cigars invade camp after sundown it is the weapon of choice.
    I have dispatched some very agressive cigars and was glad to have such a manly knife.

I may get one of those giant Steel Eagle 11 inch blades from Tops just in case I come across a Cuban cigar.

I don't think you will find a need for a bigger blade than you have, but get one if you want it. I like knives...

Have Fun!
    Kev

the knife looks to be double edged, which would be a bit difficult to use for cleaning game, most guys i know seem to preffer a single edged, flat or convex ground 3 and a half to 4 inch blade for game, however whatever has a sharp edge can be used.

I consider my SOG seal pup an ideal length for me. A buck knife(3.5") will do fine. Some hunting guides carry surprisingly small knives 2"-3" blades for everything including elk and bear.

Depending on what I'm doing , I at least carry a 3.5" lockblade . If I go in the woods , I would add a 7" Randall Model 14 , or similiar , and sometimes a machete ...

whittling,skinning,cutting needs, 4-5 inch blade works fine.
    chopping get an axe.
    fighting get a sword.

In my expericenes,the longer blade works against you,that is, the leverage of the blade. Perfer a 1 and 1/2 inch blade for skinning, and perfer low carbon steel as out in the wild I can sharpen it with natural sandstone or other stones. A 12 inch blade for self defense and wood chopping. Cutting animal bone,hacking away,if not enough ,lay knife edge ways against bone,grab a pisce of wood limb 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Hammer against the back shank of knive. The heavy shank or backbone of of the knive is important. My boy once skin out a doe deer with a razor blade. Keep your knive oiled and sharp!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my expericenes,the longer blade works against you,that is, the leverage of the blade. Perfer a 1 and 1/2 inch blade for skinning, </div></div>

+1

3.5-4" narrow blade for apple coring and opening them up.

Hope this helps,

Trilogymac

I went thru the big bad hunting knife stage and I have collected many knives and even had one custom built by Randall (model 17 with stag handle from europe). All my knives are sweet stuff but I always catch myself grabbing an old Case fixed blade (Made in late 60's to early 70's...(blade length is about 4 1/2" to 5" .It is so lite and I can gut / field dress two deer and when I am finished it is still about as sharp as I started with. The composition seems to be very rust resistant since I never have to oil it .. Packing up steep hills and climbing I would rather trim the weight and go lite.. If I was actually going to survive in the wild I might reconsider that recommendation but for now I am just hunting with it and preparing deer...SmokeRolls

Thanks very much from everyone, most of my hunting activities involve wild hogs, and varmits....deer when in season. I wanted to use it for skinning as well as general utilities one needs a knife for. Plus the knife looks badass, you know as well as I do, in a knife purchase cosmetics play a major factor. TEXAGATOR I really don't want to get into a debate with you but this Mercworx David has a false edge on the spine and is well under the max blade length in Texas. Once again thanks for everyones time.

Buck 110 now. Used to be a Case fullsized Blackhorn, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Bright orange handle, you wouldn't think it would be that hard...

I also carry a BRKT Canadian Camp when I am going to be further from civilization, but it won't see use on game unless I lose or break the 110.

I think that for general field dressing, which doesn't include caping or quartering for me as I hunt whitetail <200# primarily for meat, anything over about 4" is excessive blade. I can still use it, but its just more steel to carry.

There is no animal a 3 1/2 or 3 3/4 inch balde can't handle. IMO anything bigger is over kill and a PIA unless your choping wood and then you need an ax anyway.

YMMV

I have a few blades around. My current 'don't go anywhere without it' is a Top's Scalpel left side belt sideways carry. It's got a little 2 3/4" blade with a nice edge and is a sweet utility knife. It gets used a lot.
    For my right side carry if I decide I need that I have several to choose from, but legal is my Top's Dawn Warrior with it's 5" blade. 5" is good for hunting as my KaBar skinner is 5" and works well. For doing big work my absolute favorite is a toss up between my 3Gen KaBar Fighter, and my Gerber Bowie.
    If law had no bearing on what I could carry, I have a really special custom blade that kicks major ass because it is made from broken knife blades dating back to WWI. It is my absolute favorite.

Collectioni.png

skf6.png

Knife threads are totally useless without pictures

Switchblade : Nice collection... I guess I might just take some picks myself.. You had a few knives that I really liked.. as in sweet!...........Thanks for that......Was that bottom picture the knive that started as a WW I knife or is that another that I did not see?......SmokeRolls

I have used a Moore Maker trapper for cleaning deer for at least 12 years no problems. I broke out a 5-1/2 inch German custom knife I inherited from my sister’s divorce, Guess what gut puncture 2 out of 2 deer, to much knife. Probably would have worked better on bigger game but not for 120 pound cen tex white tail. There is a perfect knife for every job.

I don't hunt but I'd use the smallest knife possible and bring an ax and a saw, and the means to sharpen my knife.

011.jpg

009.jpg

Ok. I'll post some picks of mine but I still can't find my favorite old Case XX hunting knife, I have misplaced it since deer season. And there are some other ones I don't feel like dragging out. In this pic there are; (1) MOD Mark V (Dwayne Dieter designed), (1) Extrema Ratio, (2) Emerson folders which are my trusty carrys, (1) Randall #27 trailblazer that I ordered this way (4) Case fixed blades including a rarely seen Case fillet knife and an old Opinel fishing folder I picked up in Italy...SmokeRolls

I agree with Texagator. I've got some big blades; my grandad's WW2 Kabar, a few 6-7" bladed Randalls, a RAT 7, and others, one of which I carry in my ruck when hunting, hiking, etc. for survival purposes if necessary.

When it comes to dressing deer, I use a 3-4" blade. I've used, among others, a Zero Tolerance 0200, Strider PT, Spyderco Endura, Benchmade CQC7, RAT 4, RAT 5, a Randall model 22, a Blind Horse Bushcrafter, a Buck Vanguard, and a few others I can't remember right now. My favorites have been the RAT4 and the Blind Horse Bushcrafter. The Randall 22 is nice, but $$$. The folders are a pain in the ass to clean afterward. They get too much gunk down in the liners, etc for me to fool with anymore.

Smaller blades are far handier for dressing deer than the bigger knives.

Several years ago, I bought a cheap hacksaw and a few extra blades from Home Depot that I use only for deer; cutting off legs and sawing through pelvis bones/spines.

I've hunted for more years than I care to remember in Texas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee. For the comparatively small bodied deer of the south, a 4-5" bladed knife and a hacksaw have worked out best for me.

Steve903

PS-Don't use that double edged blade to dress deer unless you like the smell of a freshly cut open deer stomach.

Well, when I gutting deer, I use an old Ka-bar to drive through and break the pelvis, but other than that, I use my Buck trapper pocket knife, mainly the sheepsfoot blade which helps to prevent punctures in the wrong places. I have also used a custom 4-inch fixed blade, and am thinking of giving the Hide fighter I have a shot to see how it works.

http://www.dozierknives.com/
    See the Straight Hunter.

This or that:

http://www.helleknives.com/product14.html

I've been dying for one of these.

http://www.dozierknives.com/
    See the Sweetwater

I did an entire elk with a 4 1/4" drop point like a Russell, made locally in D-2. Great stuff.

I've done dozens of N Tex whitetails and a couple of hogs with the Helle. Laminated carbon steel. Holds an edge pretty well, yet easy to sharpen.

A Bowie knife in the field is a sure sign of someone who doesn't know how to use one.

A double edged knife is a "prohibited weapon", the same charge as a pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quietman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, when I gutting deer, I use an old Ka-bar to drive through and break the pelvis, but other than that, I use my Buck trapper pocket knife, mainly the sheepsfoot blade which helps to prevent punctures in the wrong places. I have also used a custom 4-inch fixed blade, and am thinking of giving the Hide fighter I have a shot to see how it works.</div></div>
    Ya know.....You don't have to cut the pelvis in order to get the rectum,colon out... A long time ago a gentleman at a meat processing place (butcher) showed me that it was not necessary to cut the pelvis in-between the rear legs in order to gain access and or clean that "channel". All you need to do is to carefully cut around the anus (aprox 1/2" outside of it) with a very sharp smaller blade. Then holding onto the colon, pull gently as you cut to release what is attached to the colon. Just be careful not to slice anything to do with the intestinal tract. It's actually so easy, you will laugh. I recommend a smaller 5" one sided blade that it very sharp. No more bone saws and hacksaw blades for this area if you learn this technique.....SmokeRolls

Hunting knife...

blade is about 3", every comes apart to wash. I won't make another, too much work.

HUNTING2-1.jpg

Now we're talkin'!
    Love the grips. You see all this crap with laminated scales that barely have the corners broken, supposed to be "custom".

You could do anything in North America with those.

Smoke Rolls had a good teacher, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simo Hayha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg
    </div></div>
    These are perfect sized knives for North American hunting. Also thats my favorite style of sheaths....Nice...SmokeRolls