• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Hunting Knife (weapon)

Tikkad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Abilene texas
alright so i have done some searching for hunting knifes and other listings like this and have not had much luck. I am looking for a good knife actually for hunting. I run dogs in Tx and get in some really thick stuff and all i have to count on for the night is always my knife and my dogs.

i currently have a knife that a man here in Tx made for me it is a 9 inch bowie ground down from an old saw mill blade.

I am wondering what else is out there.

Re: Hunting Knife (weapon)

Look at the busse combat line of knives. I have a desert stealth fighter that I really like.

Busse, Randell, ESEE, Bark River,Scrapyard... lots of good stuff depending on budget and need.

You mean you want a knife to actually hunt with? ie like stab a pig in the chest? WTF dude...ill give you my 30.30 deer wounder if youre that desperate

I went on my first hunt for hogs with dogs a week or so ago. I can't see myself hunting that way on a regular basis, but I can't say I didn't have a good time either. Pretty exciting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean you want a knife to actually hunt with? ie like stab a pig in the chest? WTF dude...ill give you my 30.30 deer wounder if youre that desperate </div></div>

yes a knife to actually hunt with is exactly what i mean. WE do stab the Boars. a 30.30 would not be an option or smart when you have 6 dogs 2 people and a wild boar all in about a 6 foot square. I do this on average a few nights a week for some of the ranches in the area to help them for Hog Population Managemant. it is quite effective

here are a few of the hogs we have gotten in the last month or so and one that shows a good picture of the knife
BEFORE

BEFORE- WELL MORE LIKE RIGHT AFTER
[img:left]
122dnqr.jpg
[/img]

AFTER
1roy39.jpg
[/img]

last winter. no dogs are hurt or bleeding that is the small pigs blood. i am just showing the this picture for a good view of my current knife

x2qyvq.png
[/img]

Don't mind them man, most states do not have the ferile hog problem we do. Come towards the coast, they get beastly and normally hurt/kill the dogs. I've back pedaled more than once to the truck while being chased.

Your dogs look happy man, bet they were pretty pumped. Even if they were cut, sure you could sew them up on the spot without a problem.

yes for sure. i we have 16 dogs and i never see them happier than when were on a scent. have had to sew up before we carry a full kit staple guns local antiseptics needles sutures the works. these dogs here aren't our catch dogs so they don't really get in the mix all the dogs that are supposed to be on the hogs have full body protection kevlar. these ones just have cut collars. the catch dogs are never in the pics cause we cant keep them off. they do there job and get tied up with a lead on a tree about 10 feet away while we take pictures and do our work.

Look at a Randall #1 or #14. I got a 14 just cause, big knife though. krw

If you walk alot on a hunt or just dont want a knife to weigh you down then I would opt for a lightweight carry fixed blade.
I have had Randalls but they are kinda heavy unless you order a lighter weight model.

I held in my hand a Spartan brand knife the other day and I really liked the shape of the blade and the weight of the knife.
They are light but still have a good healhy size to the blade, it was impresive.
The price is in the neighborhood of $300 +
Here is the site: http://www.spartanbladesusa.com/fixed-blades-c-5.html
Here is the model I held:
http://www.spartanbladesusa.com/horkos-combat-utility-knife-p-74.html
Hope this helps.
....SmokeRolls

Few more:
Fallkniven A1/A2
Entrek is new to the game also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you walk alot on a hunt or just dont want a knife to weigh you down then I would opt for a lightweight carry fixed blade.
I have had Randalls but they are kinda heavy unless you order a lighter weight model.

I held in my hand a Spartan brand knife the other day and I really liked the shape of the blade and the weight of the knife.
They are light but still have a good healhy size to the blade, it was impresive.
Hope this helps.
....SmokeRolls </div></div>

I really like that Enyo.

They make knives just for hunting pigs. K-Bar is the least expensive one out there. I personally would buy a Tom Krein Boar knive!!! Tom has top quality at a reasonable price for a custom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you walk alot on a hunt or just dont want a knife to weigh you down then I would opt for a lightweight carry fixed blade.

Hope this helps.
....SmokeRolls </div></div>

I really like that Enyo. </div></div>
There is a hide member named huntler that sells these knives and I see him at Knob Creek Machine Gun show. He lives in Colorado
His web site is: http://www.modarmory.com
E-Mail is [email protected]
.....SmokeRolls

dude youre a fucking animal. you are my hero. Do you eat the texas oysters after the kill?

Steve Woods, Rock River Iron is a Hide member and makes a good knife. He's up in your area. Occasionally you will find one of his Hide Fighter knives for sale on here. They are tough.

Fascinating conversation - because prior to some of these reality TV shows I've seen previews for I never thought anyone would take a knife to a pig, but I DO honestly see that now...a LOT of people do it.

As well as catch catchfish barehanded...

I remember giving a kid a ration of Sh8t for claiming to have killed a coyote with a knife.

So back on topic - Knife that works best?

The strongest and sharpest and thinnest penetrating knife to cover your butt man!!! You got more balls than me!!

That sounds a little more exciting than watching re-runs of Dallas! Check out a Cold Steel Trailmaster or San Mai Trailmaster.

But the truth is... I should be asking you what's good to stab a pig to death with.

Check out "pig stickers" blade runner knives make a nice one there are heaps on eBay aswell and their usually pretty cheap which is good cos you dont mind treating them like crap and they are a design that works well

tikka'd you all must use wheelbarrows to carry around your balls. I have seen what getting gored by a boar can do, and I don;t think i want to be trying to stick one with a knife...definitely getting to old for anything like that, but i can bet it is a hell of alot of excitement.

As for knives, I agree with Mike, we should be asking you what is good to stick pigs with. However, even though I don't stab pigs, I do have several Busse knives that I would think would be perfect for the job.

http://www.bussecombat.com/home/index.shtml

Unfortunately, even though they aren;t a true custom shop (unless you call and really want to spend some $$ on a blade when they will do customs) then they make one blade for about 2 months at a time then switch to either a new one or another style. The steel is "Infi" which is a trade secret supposedly, but is similar to SR-101 but much more chip resistant.

I can pretty much guarantee it will last a lifetime even sticking pigs. Never had to use their CS, but I hear it is excellent.

Good luck finding you a new knife, hope this helps. And just a disclaimer, No, I don;t work for Busse, just think they make about the best hard use blade out there.

madd0c

I just got me a KBAR Becker BK2 and so far I really like it. They use good steel and it 1/4" thick. works good for a hunting/camping knife. I will be getting the micarta handles for it and a new sheath soon. Put a pretty functional knife rite out the box. and they are only about $60

Tikka'd
If you don't mind the extra weight the ESEE 6 or even their Junglas model might work for you.

When sticking a pig is it better to have a blade with a sharpened edge on both sides?
Where do you try & stick em. I've only seen one hog killed that way & The guy went in left front neck area. (like above the collar bone) looking for the heart. Pretty close to the business end but when he got the right spot it was over pretty quick.

In Australia double edged blades are pretty much illegal but for sticking pigs I like a knife with a point like a bayonet rather then a clip or Bowie style blade as it penetrates easier and isn't very broad so it gets between ribs easier or into their necks easily Bowles are the wrong shape to do it as well pretty much the way a "pig sticker" is designed does the job really well

I used to use an old 303 bayonet that I shorted for sticking pigs worked pretty well , no I just shoot em getting to old to be running round the bush after pig's .

There's guys who hunt black bears the same way. Till they get hurt and then they don't.

Never saw that coming!

What seems to be the problem with the knife you are using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to use an old 303 bayonet that I shorted for sticking pigs worked pretty well , no I just shoot em getting to old to be running round the bush after pig's . </div></div>
Did the same thing when I was younger it was a 1907 bayonet then I got the blade runner now lik you I shoot them too old to go running or maybe just too lazy lol

Fallkniven A1 blade blank with custom macrata grips bomb proof
(watch the you tube destruction video) sharp as a razor vg 10 laminante steel.

Check out a Buck knife #119 or look for a #120. The 120 is tough to find. Well made knives for a decent price. my .02

Interesting topic; if you primary requirement is to pierce the chest muscle to get to the heart I would pick something like the Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife it is the WWII commando spear point knife or a similar design.(preferably with a longer blade 8-9") A spear point would be my suggestion its wedge design would allow for easier penetration with less resistance.. if you’re going to use it primarily as a cutting tool this would not be a good model to choose.

I have seen something similar on caribou to finish off the animal and the guy at the time was using a 10" carving knife. Now the caribou was much calmer then the hogs I have been watching on TV..

41eWRxaRxSL._SS500_.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trevor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting topic; if you primary requirement is to pierce the chest muscle to get to the heart I would pick something like the Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife it is the WWII commando spear point knife or a similar design.(preferably with a longer blade 8-9") A spear point would be my suggestion its wedge design would allow for easier penetration with less resistance.. if you’re going to use it primarily as a cutting tool this would not be a good model to choose.

I have seen something similar on caribou to finish off the animal and the guy at the time was using a 10" carving knife. Now the caribou was much calmer then the hogs I have been watching on TV..

41eWRxaRxSL._SS500_.jpg

</div></div>
The fairbairn Sykes would be no good as they were proned to snapping blades off when they were put between two ribs of a victim and the victim turned or twisted suddenly. It ha to do with the heat treating of the blade and the blade material. That why they made the fairbairn applegate it uses characteristics of the original fairbairn but applegate removed its shortcomings. It would work as a sticker but IMO still not as good as a pig sticker

there is only 1 real choice for pig sticking, F-Dick double edged sticker, its what i have used for years, and what most serious doggers use round here down under where we get some scary big boars...

need a double edged blade as they slip in much easier and once they are in you can cut either way to sever arteries...like butter

pay around $40 for one and they last a lifetime, industry grade steel and non slip, non bacteria harboring handle...pay no attention to the price on this website, just good for a pic and size reference.

http://www.boardogs.com/Boardogs_classifieds_398.htm

dont get caught with one down here in the southern states as they are a tad illegal...

sorry all, I have been busy recently and haven't really gotten a chance to do much internet browsing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a Cold Steel True Flight Thrower and don't throw it! It's a good, simple big knife that will get the job done, not cost a fortune and won't break your heart if some uber-hog runs off with it (not very likely, don't you think?).

CS80TFTC.jpg

http://www.coldsteel.com/trueflight.html
</div></div>

I really do like the price range and simple design but cutting edge seems a bit short, the website said overall length was 12 inches i would put the hilt at about 5 and probably another inch before the cutting edge. those are just guestimates. but i need something about 8 inches maybe even a little bit longer.

as far as the Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife I would not want to get close to that. Piercing the heart is ideal but when things get wild it doesn't always find its way straight into the heart. you need to be able to cause mass damage wherever needed. and i feel like that thin of a blade would not be ideal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is only 1 real choice for pig sticking, F-Dick double edged sticker, its what i have used for years, and what most serious doggers use round here down under where we get some scary big boars...

need a double edged blade as they slip in much easier and once they are in you can cut either way to sever arteries...like butter

pay around $40 for one and they last a lifetime, industry grade steel and non slip, non bacteria harboring handle...pay no attention to the price on this website, just good for a pic and size reference.

http://www.boardogs.com/Boardogs_classifieds_398.htm

dont get caught with one down here in the southern states as they are a tad illegal...
</div></div>

Jimi this one definitely has my interest not to mention you say to pay no attention to that price and pay 40, where would one do that? also do you have any of the dimensions blade length, width, etc…

Thanks Tikkad

I've never stabbed a hog but I don't think I would use that throwing knife. There is not a guard to stop your hand from sliding up the blade if you hit bone or something and lose your grip. It may not be an issue, just the first thing I thought of when I saw that knife.

Here is another one you might want to look at.
Hellraiser by Busse. Could not imagine a better hand hog killin mochine.

Most folks here have already named the great companies, and I second the Fairbairn Sykes knife, just take care to blunt the very tip so it doesn't become stuck in something's ribcage.

I've been using a KaBar myself, though I've heard from alot of people that the tang isn't too reliable, can't complain myself; it's worked fine so far.