• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing hunting knife?

athanasios23

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2009
New York, USA
looking for hunting knife/tactical knife...pretty much will be used for everything....thinking a nice strider knife...any body have any experience with them and are there any other brands i should look at?

Re: hunting knife?

I'm not really into the "tacti-cool", but I do a lot of backwoods packin, and I have nothin but nice words about RAT Cutlery, and Bark River Knives. They are built like a brick $hithouse, Made in the USA, have awesome warranties, and won't break the bank.

I personally pack a Rat Cutlery RC5, and a Bark River Gunny.

Check em out.

http://www.eseeknives.com/index2.htm

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/products.asp &

http://www.crystalfallstradingcompany.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=220_35_259

Emerson commander folder is a great choice for a folder. This works great for hunting / tactical situations / save the world kinda knife.....Hahaha... These are probably about the best I have seen at holding an edge and very easy to sharpen... Build quality is top notch. Not outa this world on pricing but not cookie cutter, dime-a -dozen chinese wanna bees either..I'll get their website up for you in a minute....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Emerson commander folder is a great choice for a folder. This works great for hunting / tactical situations / save the world kinda knife.....Hahaha... These are probably about the best I have seen at holding an edge and very easy to sharpen... Build quality is top notch. Not outa this world on pricing but not cookie cutter, dime-a -dozen chinese wanna bees either..I'll get their website up for you in a minute....SmokeRolls</div></div>
http://www.emersonknives.com/index2.php

I've got a Strider Buck, and love it...but I would say its probably more of a SHTF knife than an actual hunting knife. I WOULD trust my life to it though, if you had to throw it at someone, it would leave a 10" hole on the other side. It's a BEAST to say the least. blade is an EASY 1/4" thick and HEAVY. To much knife for field dressing a deer, but it makes easy work of the pelvis and throat cutting. No question.

DSC01924.jpg

DSC01926.jpg

Now what you REALLY need is a Silver Knight SK02...but good luck finding one. More rare than a 20 year old virgin in Vegas.

SilverKnight001.jpg

SilverKnight002.jpg

SilverKnight003.jpg

+1 for rat and bark river....tried and tested in many backwood adventures!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now what you REALLY need is a Silver Knight SK02...but good luck finding one. More rare than a 20 year old virgin in Vegas.

SilverKnight001.jpg

SilverKnight002.jpg

SilverKnight003.jpg
</div></div>
Cool knife c_bass16 ....
......SmokeRolls

thanks for the info guys...anybody body here have or seen a strider wb mod 10 infidel edition knife? Only saw it on one site and looks pretty cool...i like that it has infidel inscribed aswell as a grenade on the back.

Heavy rolls, Checked out those rat cutlery knives and they look great. The rc-5 would be my choice aswell.

Folders suck for a hunting knife getting the blood and goup out of them is a nasty PIA.Big knives also suck for field dressing which is the primary purpose for a hunting knife.

Instead of a one knife fix get two proper knives.For a hunting blade.
Gene Ingram
Charlie May
Bob Dozier
Any one of these and your in the "A" game.

For a field utility blade its tough to beat the Rat series just pick the size you like.Just stick with the 1095 so its easy to touch up in the field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folders suck for a hunting knife getting the blood and goup out of them is a nasty PIA.Big knives also suck for field dressing which is the primary purpose for a hunting knife.

Instead of a one knife fix get two proper knives.For a hunting blade.
Gene Ingram
Charlie May
Bob Dozier
Any one of these and your in the "A" game.

For a field utility blade its tough to beat the Rat series just pick the size you like.Just stick with the 1095 so its easy to touch up in the field.</div></div>
I do agree with you on the fixed blade and cleaning after dressing a deer. I prefer a thin 5" fixed blade for hunting but he was wanting a combination Hunting /tactical. Most tactical knives are too thick and cumbersome for hunting (In my opinion) (Doesn't mean that that's always the case though).
I was just compromising.....Meeting in the middle.. You do have a good point on using two knives......SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now what you REALLY need is a Silver Knight SK02...but good luck finding one. More rare than a 20 year old virgin in Vegas.

SilverKnight001.jpg

SilverKnight002.jpg

SilverKnight003.jpg
</div></div>
That is one big-ass folder knife......That's an "Andre the giant" pocket knife.....SmokeRolls

An economical choice is the SOG Seal pup. Their tough as nails, not too big to be unweildy when you're field dressing a critter. Its really light which is nice if it spends a lot of time in a backpack like mine. Holds an edge very well. Retail through cabelas are about $75. But if you're patient you can get a brand new one on ebay for $50. just a thought, check em out!

I use a benchmade 9050 it has good steel havent had to sharpen it very much.The blade is alittle short for a great hunting knife but has worked great for me so far.

Just want to say thanks for the great info....going to be getting the rat cutlery RC-5..and also picking up a strider...will beat the hell out of both of them.