• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting leases

Scotty22

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Katy, Texas USA
Anyone here on the hide that lives in south Texas know of any ranchers looking to lease the hunting rights for there property? A few good friends and I are looking to find a place in south or west Texas to hunt for the 2014-2015 season. Looking for a year around lease. If it has stands feeders or a cabin those are pluses. If anyone knows of anything please let me know.

Thanks bud. Currently we lease a 1200 acre pasture in Ozona which is part of a 15k acre estate so I think what we decided to do was just move to a bigger pasture with in the 15k acre estate. The area is very target rich with hogs cats foxes with the occasional exotic and some decent whitetail.

Sounds like you are pretty well setup already. But, you could check out Hunting lease for free, Texas hunting, Texas Deer hunts, Antelope hunts, Turkey , Whitetail Deer hunts Lease outfitters, Lease clasifieds, Whitetail Deer hunts, Whitetail Deer, Texas trophy deer hunting, Deer hunting games, Antelope hunt | Hunting le. Also, TPWD hosts a list of lease properties on their site. Might be worth checking out. And finally, check the classifieds in the papers local to where you would like to hunt. It also might not hurt checking the Austin, San Antonio, and Houston papers as well.

As you likely well know, hunters are as secretive as fishermen when it comes to hot spots...

Hlee thanks for the response. Yea I am a member of leaseconnection leasehunter etc... The problem is it look like an epidemic of deer hunters hit this year. Every hunting forum I search or Craigslist add there is 20-30 want to find hunting lease adds to an actual property for lease add

I`m from up north... have a place in Black River Falls Wi... saw the herd desimated buy too many tags sold.....wolves and bear......lotsa state land... poor deer control.....
I believe it was in 2012...the WI.DNR hired a TX.deerologist to give advice.... for 80,000.00$..we got "don`t sell so many doe tags"......WTF...???
Usually get a shot...not a trophy,but you gotta walk in in (1/2-1 mile ) the dark...and come out the same way....
Curious as to what is a fair price per acre for a decent ground.

Last edited:
"Don't sell so many doe tags" IS sound advice. Too bad it took $80,000 to get it. It has worked wonders where my dad lives. 20 years ago we were lucky to see a deer during the deer season. Now, we are nearly overrun with them (does are only legal during archery season). And, the addition of a minimum width antler restriction (to improve the survivability of young bucks to reproductive age) the population- and the number of mature bucks- has really taken off (spikes are still fair game). It should not take a genius to see that protecting those bearing the offspring is good management practice to increase deer populations.

Back on topic. We didn't have a good year this year on our lease. We have 6 guys on 240 acres and we harvested 4 spikes and 4 mature bucks and 2 does. There was an unusually wet summer which led to a bumper acorn crop. This reduced deer movement and hunting was unusually hard. You may be seeing a lot of hunters trying to jump to new property because they perceive their current property as no longer producing- the season before last was much the same for us. I am optimistic about this season but I would like to see less acorn production this year.

hlee even out in the desert where we hunt we had a crazy wet summer. Everything stayed extremely green all year. I was mostly looking to get on a new place bc the drive from Houston to Comstock is 8 hours and for me to get anything done on the ranch, I have to take 4+ days off of work 1 to drive there 2 to get what I need to done and 1 to get home. But we didn't have a bad year I only took 1 deer from the property which was a big cull spike, My buddy took a doe and a nice 25.5 in Black buck. We didn't kill any trophy bucks but we also let a few of them walk and grow up for next year.

Lee,
You took 10 deer of 240 acres 8 of which were bucks and it was not a good year. I see no way that 240 acres in TX can support that amount of harvest. I think you are not going to have a good year next year if you think this was a bad year.

I would guess that maximum capacity for the 240 acres would be one deer per 10 acres or less. If so, you took 41.6 of the estimated herd. If you had a buck to doe ratio of 1 buck to 2 does, you in theory killed 100% of the bucks. No property could sustain that.

In Texas the average range of a white tail can be up to 5 miles depending on location. Doubt the 10 deer harvested all resided within the 240 acres. They don't seem to mind jumping a fence or two at property lines. As far as the question of a fair price- that depends on what a hunter is willing to pay. We had 6 guys on 1,400 acres at an annual price of $14,000( or $10.00 per acre). It was annual-deer, turkey,dove,quail, hogs, varmints and fishing. Great lease. However a group offered $20,000 and all of us being blue collar, we couldn't afford to meet the price so we lost the lease the following season. We didn't hold anything against the land owner because he makes his living off his land.

Must be nice.....

In AZ, everything but archery deer (in most units), fall archery javelina, and fall archery turkey are a lottery type draw. It can take years to draw a "good" tag, and years between tags for antelope (going on 21 for me) and bull elk (going on 12 for me). Bag limit is one animal per species per calendar year if you get drawn at all.

No doe tags at all. Cow elk is easier to draw for most units.

Seriously gearing up for a week to 10 day hunt costs me about $2-3K and I already have all of my hunting stuff. Scouting, hunting season, fuel, food, etc. adds up quick. It would be cheaper to buy a side of beef, but where is the fun in that!

Lee,
You took 10 deer of 240 acres 8 of which were bucks and it was not a good year. I see no way that 240 acres in TX can support that amount of harvest. I think you are not going to have a good year next year if you think this was a bad year.

I would guess that maximum capacity for the 240 acres would be one deer per 10 acres or less. If so, you took 41.6 of the estimated herd. If you had a buck to doe ratio of 1 buck to 2 does, you in theory killed 100% of the bucks. No property could sustain that.

Downhill is correct. The deer do not belong to a piece of land, they have a range and fences- even tall fences- are at best an annoyance to them. Yes, we took 8 deer and 6 were bucks from the 240 acres we have access to hunt. The property is not terribly wide ( maybe less than a few hundred yards in spots) but is more than a mile long. And, it is a natural travel corridor, bordered on one end by blacktop and on the other end by a river. We do not have a deer herd that resides on our property. But, ALOT of deer traverse our property going from one place to another.

The biggest surprise of the year for me is that there were so few spikes seen. Typically, everyone gets at least a shot on a spike. Last year we had an informal biggest spike contest in order to encourage the guys on the lease to shoot a spike. Too many of them were just coming out for the "wall hanger" and not doing enough for herd management. I hope the trend continues this year with most of our young bucks having branched antlers. We have a very high doe to buck ratio, due to the restriction of only shooting does during archery season; and we could use a more rigorous doe elimination policy on the property. It may be hard to believe but, the typical yield from this property is one "shooter" buck, one "spike" buck, and 1 doe for everyone on the lease- that put in the time to hunt. My dad and uncle have been on the lease since 2005 and that has been the trend.

In most of the country, deer herd populations are reported as deer per square mile. In Texas- and not necessarily on high fenced property- the are areas where the density is reported in deer per acre...

LancetKenyon, everything is a trade off. We have a lot of deer and you don't have to drive very far to find some good ones in high concentration. If you want to pay for it, you can just about have one drug up to you on a leash for pre measurement before you pull the trigger. But, sitting in a box for several hours overlooking a feeder, or a food plot, or an ag field, or a sendero, or whatever has its drawbacks. My most enjoyable hunts were "unsuccessful," and didn't occur in Texas. For all of its faults, California has some absolutely beautiful land, and is a challenging and wonderful place to hunt. We enjoy very high success ratios in Texas, in part because we know enough not to pay someone $80,000 to tell us what we already know. But, the hunt sometimes leaves something to be desired. At least you get in state rates on your tags...