• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting / Precision Rifle scope from Scheels

THE1LAF

Just Think About it..
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2023
Montana
Hello All,
I'm building a up a custom bolt gun, 6.5 PRC, primarily a hunting rig, but want to practice on steel as far as my capabilities will let me 1200-1500yds? and maybe a local PRS match for more skillset work.

Rifle isn't together yet, but components are on order:
Terminus Zeus LH SA - QC thread
22" Proof Carbon - 6.5 PRC
MDT HNT26 Chassis
Trigger tech Diamond Trigger
Badger C1 Optic Mount
HuxWrx 762Ti Suppressor

*I'd like the package to be lighter than heavier, but I'm willing to take the hit in the action & glass

Hunting ranges are 150-600, with most being in the 2-400 range
I wanted to stay under 5x on the low end, 18+ top end, FFP, Mils, quality tree (the NF Mil-XT looked good?) & good glass & durability.

Optics I've been looking at: NF ATACR 4-20x50 F1, NF NX8 4-32 F1, Razor HD 4.5-27x56, Razor LHT 4.5-22x50, etc.
I work at Scheels & get a little bit of a deal. So I'd like to stick to their MFG selection: Vortex, NF, Ziess, Kahle, Swavorski, etc.

Historically I've shot Iron sight small bore competitions, handgun precision, etc.
I've never taken a hunting shot under ~6x, lower mags only used for glassing. Longest game shot was 600 yds with a 300WM & 3-10 Shepherd Scope

Hours of Battlefield has taught me target transitions w. High Mag/Low FOV can be overcome by an offset red dot... lol but I'm seriously considering it.

I've read here & other forums about tunneling on the ATACR, turret issues & meh glass on the LHT, eyebox issues with the NX8, $$$$ of Kahle, & nobody appears to like Vortex in the $2.5k+ here.

What would you recommend?
Thanks in Advance.

Leupold mk5 3.6-18, XTR3 3.3-18, LHT 4.5-22, gen 2 razor 4.5-27, or NX8 4-32 should work fine. Just prioritize weight, magnification, and glass. I have an XTR3i 3.3-18 that works great as a hunting optic.
I’d also recommend shooting NRL hunter matches with that setup. PRS matches will be rough in the making impacts department with that light of gun in that big of caliber

Reactions: THE1LAF
Why not look at the leupold mk5?
The poor filters on their website? lol
No, I was thinking the 5-25x56 was on the big side & the 3-18 only had a 44mm objective, which I didn't look at exit pupil & FOV specs, but seemed small for it's class.
I was kinda avoiding the Tremor 3, but hadn't looked at their other reticle options out of ignorance due to the line above. That, and I haven't seen Leopold mentioned a lot either.

Not on topic, but I would use rings instead of the Badger C1 Maxx on a hunting rifle, and it would save you about 4 oz. I'd also look at a TBAC (or similar) suppressor, and that would save you about 1/2 pound.

For the scope, I would look at the 4-16x42 ATACR over the 4-20. I know you said you wanted 18x+, but 16x is more than adequate for 1500 yards IME. The 4-16 is also about 5-6 ounces lighter, doesn't tunnel on low mag, and has a better elevation turret in my opinion. They also regularly pop up in the PX for about $1,800 - $1,900. Of the ones I've owned, I prefer the Mil-C over the Mil-XT, particularly for hunting.

3.5-21x50 DMR3 might be worth a gander. Working at Scheel's you're eligible for the VIP here https://www.bushnell.com/vip-program select 'Retail Professional'.
I'll take a look at it, thanks!
Not on topic, but I would use rings instead of the Badger C1 Maxx on a hunting rifle, and it would save you about 4 oz. I'd also look at a TBAC (or similar) suppressor, and that would save you about 1/2 pound.

For the scope, I would look at the 4-16x42 ATACR over the 4-20. I know you said you wanted 18x+, but 16x is more than adequate for 1500 yards IME. The 4-16 is also about 5-6 ounces lighter, doesn't tunnel on low mag, and has a better elevation turret in my opinion. They also regularly pop up in the PX for about $1,800 - $1,900. Of the ones I've owned, I prefer the Mil-C over the Mil-XT, particularly for hunting.
Nothing is out of scrutiny

The main reason I was considering the C1 Maxx was simple attachment of bubble level & offset RDS. Are they needed? IDK, how do you rate them? They would be easy to add/remove if I changed my mind. On that topic, suggestion on ring height? Historically lowest is best, less error out of level etc. & now the industry is pushing for taller rings to reduce fatigue, which would make the level more important?
Definitely open to ideas.
I agree, there any many suppressors better suited for a bolt gun application & considerably lighter, the HX-QD 762Ti is the only one I have out of jail.. lol
I'll take a look at the 4-16, it isn't out of the running. The 4-20 sounded like the new up & comer until I read about tunneling late last night. I read most longer range shots can't use much more than 18x due to mirage, guys would zoom in to read wind then zoom back to shoot. I've seen it but have no experience shooting through it.

Tunneling, eyebox, color aberration, all these things youve read about can mostly be overcome by spending several thousand more dollars. Its a tool, try and find the one that best suits your needs. Sounds like you can get a good feel for them at work.good luck.

Tunneling, eyebox, color aberration, all these things youve read about can mostly be overcome by spending several thousand more dollars. Its a tool, try and find the one that best suits your needs. Sounds like you can get a good feel for them at work.good luck.
Absolutely, It's all with a grain of salt. Considering my last optic was ~$700 there's a lot of room for improvement.
Is there anything I should know about from experience I can't see in store? Like the what I've read about the Razor LHT not holding zero?